Home

Monkey Island Special Editions coming to stores (in Europe)

from xbox360achievements.org

Activision has announced that it's set to publish the Monkey Island Special Edition Collection for release later this year, bundling The Secret of Monkey Island: Special Edition and Monkey Island 2 Special Edition: LeChuck's Revenge into one neat package with additional bonus content from the Lucasarts vault.

Both games will be available in their entirety on the retail disc, with remastered HD graphics, the remastered score, full voiceover and a hints system to help you out should you get stuck. And yes, you'll still be able to seamlessly switch between the classic and HD versions of the game at the touch of a button, and you'll still get the commentary from creators Tim Schafer, Ron Gilbert and Dave Grossman on Monkey Island 2.

Both full games will come with new, newver-before-seen bonus content on the disc too, including environment and character concept art from the Special Editions and the original and re-recorded soundtracks. There'll also be storyboards and concept art from an Industrial Light & Magic animated Monkey Island movie that never saw the light of day.

Monkey Island Special Edition Collection will be flying the Jolly Roger and setting sail to retail stores on September 9th, 2011. If you can't wait that long though, you could always download the games from the Xbox Live Arcade for 800 Microsoft Points each.

Best news ever and good to see LucasArts MI back in stores.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh my god, yesssss

Now, I certainly hope that we get a PC/Mac version too

And possibly some new box art

Preferably by Purcell

That would be cool

EDIT:

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/310843/monkey-island-special-edition-collection-announced/

"The Monkey Island Special Edition Collection will release on September 9 for PS3, 360 and PC in Europe"

Neat!

Both full games will come with new, newver-before-seen bonus content on the disc too, including environment and character concept art from the Special Editions and the original and re-recorded soundtracks. There'll also be storyboards and concept art from an Industrial Light & Magic animated Monkey Island movie that never saw the light of day.

Neat! And as I haven't played the SEs yet, I'll surely buy it.

I hope they've improved Monkey1 SE and corrected the verb-tags for the inventory in Monkey2SE. As it is you can only ever "look" or "use" your items in Monkey2SE, not "give" unless you switch mode; try giving the monocle to Wally.

While I really like the boxart, LeChuck looks kinda weird, and I think it's due to his pupils.

MISEC%20LeChuck%20comparison.PNG

Quick and dirty edit by me. Doesn't he look much better without the pupils?

Thankfully, this is really easy to photoshop away, so I think I'll scan the box art and print out a pupil-less version of it once the game is released.

I'm kind of struggling to understand how the art managed to get through QA... It's... awful...

I'll get the box anyway, because I want to see the movie stuff. If that wasn't there, the box art would be enough to stop me getting this entirely.

Just compare it to the original... It's a horrible butchering, really... I'm really disappointed here.

I'm kind of struggling to understand how the art managed to get through QA... It's... awful...

I'll get the box anyway, because I want to see the movie stuff. If that wasn't there, the box art would be enough to stop me getting this entirely.

Just compare it to the original... It's a horrible butchering, really... I'm really disappointed here.

The same can sadly be said about the in-game art. The whole thing, especially the first game, is really slipshod and atrocious. Aside from the art direction just being awful an inappropriate, there are unfinished backgrounds, Guybrush walks in front of foreground elements, and the sprite frame rate is lower than the game frame rate resulting in awkward "sliding" while walking. And those are just the visual issues. These "special editions" have converted one of the standard-bearers of the genre into something that belongs in the bargain bin.

monkey-island-comparison.jpg

the-secret-of-monkey-island-20090601091857542_640w.jpg

Secret-Monkey-Island-001.jpg

The game underneath is still the same and worthy of attention. Just because the art direction isn't to your liking doesn't mean it's bargain bin material.

It's the fact that obviously the games had a low budget and do not look as if they are worth a full price game.

The same can sadly be said about the in-game art. The whole thing, especially the first game, is really slipshod and atrocious. Aside from the art direction just being awful an inappropriate, there are unfinished backgrounds, Guybrush walks in front of foreground elements, and the sprite frame rate is lower than the game frame rate resulting in awkward "sliding" while walking. And those are just the visual issues. These "special editions" have converted one of the standard-bearers of the genre into something that belongs in the bargain bin.

Oh, I know. I have both special editions on Steam and I've finished them.

I don't like the art in the first game, but it is vastly improved in the second and I thoroughly enjoyed playing it.

It's the fact that obviously the games had a low budget and do not look as if they are worth a full price game.

Exactly. The original games were top-tier works, with amazing art direction, and amazing execution of that art direction. The remakes (particularly the first) have at best questionable art direction, the execution of which is undeniably cheap and rushed. The original MI box image could have been the cover for a victorian pirate novel. The new MI box image could be the cover for a coloring book in a 99-cent store.

The second one was definitely an improvement. I still wasn't crazy about the art direction, and found it far inferior to Purcell's work, but at least it was well-executed. Actually, now that I finally have Steam, I should pick it up for the developer commentary...

• 2 weeks later...

Found these German trailers for the Collection mainly showing behind the scenes of the commentary done by Ron Gilbert, Dave Grossman and Tim Schafer. Maybe these clips may feature as bonus content perhaps???

(This BBCode requires its accompanying plugin to work properly.)

I hope so. It'd be nice to be able to watch the commentary with the parts of the game they're talking about shown to us (presumably like it was shown to them), as I really can't be arsed playing it again just for the commentary. I just skipped through that video and it was interesting how Schafer pointed out the whole 'concrete rebars look like tree roots and dirt' thing which we all complained about, which is likely the real reason it got changed. :D

I approve of this pack hitting stores though. After seeing a big pile of Tales of Monkey Island boxes in the middle of GAME (huge UK chain) it's nice to have the series in stores again for real. :)

I hope they release more of those videos . They were better than the actual commentary!

Ask and you shall recieve, heres another one;

and another;

These vids should get posted on the front page of the site so more people can see them

Archived