Home

Derek Jeter: 17 years, 5 World Series Rings...and now, 3000 hits

Today on July 9 2011, Derek Sanderson Jeter joined an exclusive club. In the history of Major League Baseball, there are a lot of NUMBERS. 700 homers; 300 wins; 2000 hits...and perhaps most impressively, 3000 hits. 750+ home runs is a feat to be sure, but 3,000 hits in a career is a testament to one thing: longevity. Derek Jeter became the first Yankee to collect his 3000th hit with the Bronx Bombers. And he got every one of them with the Bombers. He did so with a home run against the Tampa Bay Rays, becoming just the second player to join the 3,000 hit club with a homer. The one one? Wade Boggs, who was playing for the then Tampa Bay Devil Rays at the time.

I don't like the Yankees; I am a Boston fan through and through. I bleed Red Sox Red I "pahk my cah" at Fenway "Pahk". However, I respect and admire Derek Jeter. Congratulations, Derek...you earned this one.

Show spoiler
(hidden content - requires Javascript to show)
Breakdown of Jeter's hits:

*2,223 Singles

*481 Doubles

*62 Triples

*287 Home Runs

Show spoiler
(hidden content - requires Javascript to show)
derek-jeter-picture-1.jpg

Does anyone else have any thoughts or feelings on this? Feel free to share them below.

3,000 hits in a career is a testament to one thing: longevity.
and consistency. If a player isn't producing on a consistent basic then he will never get the longevity part as the team will not keep him around.

Jeter not only got 3,000 with a homer, but went 5 for 5 for the day, just like Biggio (only two players to do that too) did when he got his 3000th hit back in the days when Houston had a Major League team.

It is truly an amazing baseball stat as every eligible player to reach 3000 hits is in the baseball hall of fame. Of course that is tarnished somewhat by the fact that the all-time hits leader is ineligible.

I am glad to see serious discussion here. I agree a part of it is consistency. I did the math and it averages out to about 176 hits per year. He and Mariano Rivera are my favorite Yankees. (the latter mostly due to him tipping his cap when the Sox fans cheered him at the home opener back in '05...that was priceless and his reaction was the definition of class)

Archived