Home

New TV...any suggestions?

Darth333

I have no idea what to buy...just looking for a TV at +- $1.5 - 2K for about 50" (Canada) that will have some wireless capabilities along with some decent image quality (3D isn't something I need as it tends to make me feel sick after a few minutes).

Any preference on display type. LCD, LED, Plasma? Any features you want built-in (web browser, netflix, monitor input, total HDMI slots, etc.)?

LEDs are pretty hot now.. low footprint, super thin and nice image. Low energy cost and long shelf life.

I prefer LCD myself, but that's just me. I live and work in lowlight conditions so the LCD backlighting isn't as iris burning as the LEDs.. hehe. My LCD is only 3" deep, so it's not like tv depth is a major factor.

No matter what, you'll want a high contrast ratio, 5000:1 or higher. Make sure that's "static" and not dynamic ratio. Most sets today range in the tens of thousands so no worries there really (movie theater is a 500:1 as comparison).

Refresh rates at 120, 240 & 480 are commonplace nowadays. I have a 120Hz rate on mine.. and I have no complaints. 3D requires at least a 120Hz rating. Don't let them sell ya a 60Hz rate if you can avoid. ;)

LED obviously holds all the advantages (other than price).. but it really depends on personal viewing and features preference. My friend swears by plasma, while I always argue LCD over anything :lol:

As far as brands though.. that's one thing my friend and I agree on. Samsung. :D

Buy Sony or Samsung... that's about all you really need to know. If you want wireless internet on your TV (that is what you meant right?) then you'll end up getting one of the higher end ones anyway so it's just a matter of choosing which one of those you want.

Any preference on display type. LCD, LED, Plasma?
Not sure. I just need good contrast, colors and a decent viewing angle. TV may be use for gaming though. Anything that is visibly decent at an angle in a somewhat well lit room. I still have the comp monitor for the rest.

Any features you want built-in (web browser, netflix, monitor input, total HDMI slots, etc.)?
Wireless capabilities, HDMI, mostly but could live without the former.

No matter what, you'll want a high contrast ratio, 5000:1 or higher. Make sure that's "static" and not dynamic ratio.
Looking into this.

Refresh rates at 120, 240 & 480 are commonplace nowadays. I have a 120Hz rate on mine.. and I have no complaints. 3D requires at least a 120Hz rating. Don't let them sell ya a 60Hz rate if you can avoid. ;)
Is there a real difference (I mean a visible one, other than on paper) between 120, 240 and 480 if I don't want 3D as it doesn't really works for me apart from making me sick?

Btw, how about this one? Is there any non 3D equivalent ? Been looking at this one too

The 3D part of the whole 3DTV deal isn't the hardware but the software, so unless you're actually watching a 3D Blu-ray you won't notice any difference between regular 2D video that you can see on any other TV.

Like I said in my previous post, for the features you're asking for, the TV's you'll be looking at are on the higher end scale so they'll probably be 3D capable to begin with. Just ignore that and sell the glasses the TV comes with on ebay if you really don't want 3D at all :p

Also, ignore the refresh rate info, it's a marketing gimmick to try to differentiate one TV from another. As for colours and contrast and all of that kind of jazz, unless you're going to be scrutinising every little part of the TV for an internet review, it really doesn't matter. Just choose something that has the general features you want at the right price. Companies been making LCD and Plasma HDTVs long enough now that it really doesn't make a difference between one or the other aside from the proprietary side of things like the Bravia engine from Sony or the equivalent thing Samsung has got which I forgot the name of.

Bottom line, when you do end up getting the TV, you're going to be spending a lot of time playing with the settings to make everything look right no matter which TV you get... but if you do spend that time setting the picture settings properly then even a mediocre TV can look about as good as a high end.

The main advantage of LED TVs (which are still LCD panels, but with LED backlighting instead of fluorescent) is that they can locally dim and brighten different areas of the screen on demand, greatly increasing their contrast and finally delivering truer blacks.

If you can control the lighting in the room (especially sunlight), though, a plasma like the one that you linked to will deliver more bang for the buck. I'd be willing to bet that its picture is just as nice as that Samsung's, and bigger, to boot, for $900 less. If you do get a plasma, Panasonic has pretty consistently made the best models.

Hey Darth333 :)

Just signed up for consumerreports.org awhile back and here's what they say...

The non-Wifi sister of the Panasonic plasma you posted was given the highest rating by Consumer Reports. According to CR, Panasonic has the fewest quality problems (major quality problem rate of 3% for plasmas, 2% for LCD) of all the brands, though Sony and Samsung are not far behind (Sony: 3% for LCD; Samsung 5% for plasmas, 3% for LCD).

If viewing angle is a main concern, you may consider Vizio or LG for the LCD. The Vizio XVT553SV TruLED and LG 47LV5500 stood out here. These were both Wifi capable LED TVs with a viewing angle listed as "wide" whereas all the Samsungs and Sonys they tested were listed as "moderate" or "narrow" viewing angle. The Vizio also came with a bluetooth remote with a slide out full QWERTY keyboard. Vizio and LG both had 3% major quality problem rate for LCDs.

LCDs...

lcd55.jpg

lcd46.jpg

Plasmas...

plasmalj.jpg

HTH

The main advantage of LED TVs (which are still LCD panels, but with LED backlighting instead of fluorescent) is that they can locally dim and brighten different areas of the screen on demand, greatly increasing their contrast and finally delivering truer blacks.

I thought only AMOLED did that.

Just about all of the high-end LED TVs have dynamic backlighting now.

Rule of thumb: if it's expensive and has a super-high (in the millions) contrast ratio (like a plasma), it most likely has it.

Thanks all. You've been very helpful!

I just purchased the new toy: a Panasonic VT25 58" ( the tv room is pretty big so even that will look small) . It's last year's model which is not as sexy as the newer models design wise but after comparing the options and pic quality for the price, I think got a good deal at 1700$CAD before taxes including a BlueRay reader... I still have 7 days to change my mind if you think I made the mistake of the year...

Now, I think I'll screw the wireless thing and put that RJ45 cabling to good use ( thanks tk ;) ). I just wish I had placed the connections elsewhere in the tv room...

• 5 months later...

Archived