Home

computers

iamyourdad

how powerful do you think computers will be in the year 2020?

Probably to the point that your vehicle becomes just like the Kitt car in the TV series Knight Rider.

Which reminds me, I use to have a old Chrysler LeBaron that would repeatedly tell me with a voice activation, after a loud Ping, that my door was ajar. That drove me up the wall after a while (no pun intended), as you can imagine, so I disconnected a few wires. It didn't say much after that, but a strange thing started happening. Somehow it got my E-Mail address and in the first E-Mail it said: Nice try owner, btw, your door is ajar.

And I still get E-Mails to this very day from the freakin' thing, telling me about the damn door being ajar and I don't even own it anymore. :ninja2: I think it's stalking me.

:fist: That car is alive, I tell you! ALIVE!

I guess it depends. The reason we now have multi-core processors is because a single core can't work on a frequency significantly higher than 3GHz. It's a technological limitation, which is why we're now basically increasing the number of cores instead of the frequency itself.

So the answer to your question depends on how far technology advances by 2020. If we discover a way to surpass the current 3GHz frequency limit and combine that with multi-core technology, well, who knows - we might even end up uploading to The Matrix by the end of the century. :D

If not, well, even the number of cores we can stick into a single processor has a limit and eventually we'll hit that one too. I do believe our desktop computers will reduce in size as we'll be able to put more stuff into less space, evident even now with Intel's i-series processors that come with a built-in GPU core as well. You can't run the latest games on it alone at this point, but eventually who knows? ;)

I think GLaDOS will eventually be created and captures subjects to test the Portal Gun on or Optimus Prime and Megatron fighting in the middle of the street.

But, seriously: I don't think that technology will be significantly different than now. I'd be pretty sure though that Apple will get a world record in developing more versions of the iPhone/iPod/iWhatever. And eventually smart phones and those little things will be as fast and good as a desktop PC. Then you can put the tiny things in the real PC and you get more performance on them. But we're far away from any real Artificial Intelligence like K.I.T.T from Knight Rider. That'll be Fiction for a long time.

In a nutshell: I think technology will focus on Smart Phones for a while. I mean the moment the first one came out, every company wanted to build one.

@D333: "I will not do this." "NO!"

--James Earl Jones

@OP: Well, my old Sony Vaio PCG-FRV35 from 2003 had a 2.66Ghz processor, a plain un-numbered ATI graphics chip and it was at the very twilight of the MB era for ram chipsets: 2 chips of 256 MB upgradeable to 512 MB. I don't consider 512MB to 1GB to be twilight but rather transitional and the "sunrise" of the new GB era.

By today's standards, the only thing about it that would even meet average standards is the processor. So 8 years...now try to imagine similar exponential leaps that will have occurred 8 years from todays technology and you'll probably be just behind the mark for 2020.

I predict 1-8 TB hard drives will be standard, ram chipsets roughly equivalent to todays high end flashdrives 32-64 GB will be normal to high average. Processors of 3.16 Ghz will probably be average, and we'll have safely implemented 4.5Ghz+ on higher end systems...oh and by then we'll have a new OS for PCs and everyone will be rushing to get rid of their old Windows 7.

Who knows, maybe XBOX brand label games may be directly compatible with PC. I can even see Microsoft getting in on small authoring licenses for mods--I mean you aren't going to stop modders from doing what they do. Why not make money off of it and make it easy to incorporate for console and PC.

Again these are my speculative predictions, and by extension my opinions. I wish my prediction capabilities were as honed as that of Nikola Tesla--over 100 years ago he basically predicted everything we have today, both technology wise and in a socio-economical sense. However, they are not that honed. I have my suspicions how he made such accurate predictions, but nothing definitive.

that is meaty. fascinating read.

I pretty much default on agreement when it comes to answering questions about technological evolution and the implications for society. My struggle is surpassing and transcending the paranoid interpersonal level of connection to technology in its adaptive state.

I forsee modded laptops in my future. Possible multiple system emulators if I can find something to accommodate that. The way I see it, PC's don't have much of a future in terms of game/school balance which is where I'm at also in regards to a laptop. The more versatile one's portable computer is, the more convenience and efficiency you maintain.

Archived