Home

Star Wars: The Sith Resurrection Part IX: The Eleventh Hour

(This BBCode requires its accompanying plugin to work properly.)

Naboo System

Two Jedi Starfighters zipped through the Sith Blockade surrounding the planet of Naboo, expertly dodging the expected blasterfire from the Sith Waships. Recently, the rumours of the newly elected King Markath being a sympathiser for the Galactic Resistance had been confirmed, as he had personally requested their aid in breaking the Sith's hold on the planet, and if Naboo could be freed, it could spark uprising throughout the Chommell sector.

Due to the Resistance's limited resources, they could not send their fleet immediately, and instead sent Jedi Knight Kalla Kaltas and Tonatius Iazoki to assess the situation to determine its viability, and aid the local populace in insurrection if it was deemed viable.

Noticing that the Sith Warships were sending fighters after them, Kalla called out to her boyfriend, "Time for some fancy flying; we've got company!"

Mos Eisley, Tatooine

"Are you sure about this contact of yours?" Komad asked Iyav. They had heard news of unusual activity by the Sith in the past few weeks, but they couldn't gather more information without drawing the Sith's attention or getting help from outside the Resistance.

"I've been dealing with information like this for over fifteen years, dear. We can trust this guy." Iyav reassured him.

"Even so, I have a bad feeling about this." Komad commented.

"Me too." Iyav conceded.

• Replies 494
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Naboo System

"Time for some fancy flying; we've got company!"

Tonatius didn't need to look at his scanner but he did. He confirmed that they were going to have a little bit of fun. He replied, "I'm game for a few crispy Sith. Should we play a little chicken?"

Ackbar

It was still early according to the ship's time but old habits died hard. Tavaryn finished putting on his uniform and took in the quiet darkness. He had hours before his combat class yet he wanted to get some time in alone at the ring. It would serve to clear his mind before having to go see the council again and he knew they were going to pester him about his 'neglect' of his Shinigami duties before he could play liason for the resistance. He glanced over at the bed at the sleeping form still there and gave a soft smile.

She had been tired lately so he would let her sleep. He walked quietly over and gave a gentle kiss to Alriana's cheek and muttered something in Avalonian before grabbing his gear and walking out of the quarters they shared. He sighed and headed towards the lifts.

Jun-la didn't need to hear the noise. Rather she sensed her daughter's discomfort and got up to tend to her leaving Matton still asleep. She picked up the sobbing infant and held her trying to soothe her. After learning of the infiltration of the Sith, she took Belina up on her offer and moved her family to the Ackbar. It wasn't ideal but at least she knew they were safe until she could find one of the Avalonian colonies that was still a refuge. Glancing at the ship's clock, she saw how early it was and gave a slight chuckle.

Probably within two hours, her apprentice Andros Kaltas would come bursting in with a new idea to improve the resistance's ships. He had already come up with ideas for the fighters, two she knew currently were on their way to Naboo. She continued to smile as she tended to her daughter.

Ackbar

Alriana woke up to the sound of the door closing to her and Tavaryn's shared quarters and slowly sat up in the bed. She looked at the comn-panel on the wall as it began to beep softly.

As she got out of bed she grabbed her robe and put it on before answering. Just before she hit the button she checked to see where the transmission was coming from.

Medbay...it looks like I'll finally get some answers.

The face of the Ackbar's chief medical officer appeared on the screen. She nodded at the CMO. "Hello Doctor, I trust you were able to find out why I seem to be feeling under the weather?"

The CMO looked to her left and then smiled. "It appears that well...congratulations are in order Jedi Alriana. We just got the results in and it appears that your pregnant."

Alriana froze as rapid thoughts came to her mind. Th-that can't be right...what am I going to do?! What will Tavaryn think?!

"Jedi Alriana, are you alright?"

"Y-yes...I'm just a bit suprised. I wasn't really expecting this. Thank you for informing me."

The CMO nodded and the screen went dark. Alriana staggered to her feet and sat down on the bed. She was feeling mixed emotions.

Tavaryn had made it to the training rooms that had been declared his by order of Admiral Belina and had changed to be more comfortable for what he wanted to do. It had been a long time since he practiced this form since it was the last thing his mother had taught him before all that. She had told him that it was to be used in a calm state only since the risk of injury was extremely high.

At the moment, he felt anything to produce calm would be helpful. He pulled out his katana and walked to the center of the empty ring. He closed his eyes and took a breath and started in on the first position. He was soon lost in the moment until something gave a tingle at the back of his mind. He recognized it having felt it on numerous occassions the past few months. This time though it felt like a being shot in the shoulder and he nearly dropped his blade.

Luckily he stopped and put the blade at rest. He reached into his mind and called out, Are you all right moi chroi?

Ackbar

Are you all right moi chroi?

Alriana's mind was racing even as she thought of what to say to Tavaryn. She didn't know what to say to him about what she had just found out. She would try to tell him when he returned to their quarters.

I...I'm fine. I just recieved a message from medbay that had me a bit concerned. I'll tell you about it later.

Alriana hesitantly looked back at the comn panel and she tried to get ahold of her emotions. It was getting close to her duty shift and she had to report to the bridge."

She straightend out her robe and walked out the door and headed for the bridge.

Ackbar Bridge

Admiral Belina was angry.

She looked down at the console that was flickering on and off and slammed her hand down on it and this time it stayed on. She sighed as some of the anger faded away. Part of the reason she was angry was because she was being forced to work with her father, the Grand Admiral of the Imperial Fleet. And she was begining to think that he was trying to make her angry.

Admiral Garja walked onto the bridge and looked over at Belina and then at the massive Star Destroyer that was next to them. She still wasn't used to the idea of working with the New Empire.

"Admiral Belina." Garja said quietly. "I've just recieved word, the Katarn and it's battle group managed to destroy their target but they all took heavy damage. They are now on their way back to Tython."

Belina sighed heavily. "Get a repair team together and tell them to prepare for the Katarn and the other ships."

"Yes Admiral."

I...I'm fine. I just recieved a message from medbay that had me a bit concerned. I'll tell you about it later.

Even though Tavaryn could not see her, he still frowned in suspicion. He knew she controlled her emotions fairly well and he had been able to gauge her moods. This was different. He replied, Are you sure? You felt almost panicking. It... surprised me.

Jun-la met Alriana in the lifts after tending to the needs of her daughter Kaillian. She took a look at the Jedi and asked, "Something troubling you? Did my uncle do something? I could set him straight." She gave a smirk to show that she was teasing of course even though she meant it that she could take out her uncle.

Ackbar

Are you sure? You felt almost panicking. It... surprised me.

Yes I'm fine. She sent back. And you were right, I did panic for a moment after I heard what the CMO had to say. Don't worry, I'll talk to you about it later.

As the lift headed for the bridge she was so deep in thought, she didn't even notice Jun-la as she walked onto the lift.

"Something troubling you? Did my uncle do something? I could set him straight."

Alriana had to smile at the way she had asked the question. "Your uncle did something alright." She said quietly as she looked down at her stomach.

Star Destroyer Death's Head.

Grand Admiral Velerc was busy studying the reports from the ships that had been fighting recently. He was deep in thought and didn't notice his second in command walking up to him.

"Admiral Velerc, we just recieved word from Admiral Belina. She says the Katarn and it's battle group are returning to tython but they have taken quite a bit of damage. Repair teams are standing by."

Velerc didn't look up. "And what of the information that was stored in the databanks? Did they manage to download it."

"Yes sir. It's being transmitted to the Ackbar as we speak."

And you were right, I did panic for a moment after I heard what the CMO had to say. Don't worry, I'll talk to you about it later.

Tavaryn was still frowning as he put his blade away. No use trying now. What did that viper do this time? Tell you she wanted to hack into my neck for my implant? He then calmed down and sent, I'm sorry. You know how I feel about her at times. I'll see you later. I love you.

Tavaryn sat down on a convenient bench and sighed. Normally he didn't explode like that when the CMO was mentioned though it was the source of entertainment with the troops considering he was known for giving her the run around. There were a lot of things he was learning about being in a relationship and one was the overprotectiveness should anyone do so much as make Alriana cry over nothing. Part of it was that he had been worried that she had been under the weather lately especially being tired.

"Sithspit," Tavaryn muttered. His morning now felt like it went to hell. He pulled out his comm and contacted Belina, "Onashi to the Bridge. Admiral, this is Lt. Onashi calling to confirm the meeting with the council."

"Your uncle did something alright."

Jun-la smiled in sympathy. When she saw Alriana look down at her stomach, she had some suspicions. Still she wanted Alriana to tell her in her own words. She asked, "Do you want to talk about it?"

Naboo

"You got it. Just be careful, there's no cavalry waiting to come out of hyperspace for us." Kalla replied, quickly banking left and opening fire on the nearest fighter. "We just want to get them off our backs, so I hope you weren't planning on engaging the whole fleet."

Tatooine

"Long time no see, Iyav. I hear you're with the Resistance now." Iyav's contact, a somewhat portly human said as Iyav and Komad approached the Cantina's bar.

"I was with the Republic before that, Doran. Now, what can you tell me about the Sith's recent activity?" Iyav asked.

"They've lately been focusing their efforts on worlds with historical significance to them, or to the Jedi, but that's not all. They've also been doing considerable excavation on these planets after capturing them. Not sure why." Doran explained.

While Komad pondered that last point, Doran added, "One more thing, they've also posted a hefty bounty on Jedi, and your husband's quite the catch, but not how you think."

Ackbar

What did that viper do this time? Tell you she wanted to hack into my neck for my implant? I'm sorry. You know how I feel about her at times. I'll see you later. I love you.

No...she didn't do anything like that. She just told me something that caught me by suprise. I'll tell you about it later. And I love you too.

"Do you want to talk about it?"

A tear had appeared in Alriana's eye but she quickly wiped it away before looking back at Jun-la.

"I don't want anyone else to know for now and I think I can trust you not to tell...I think you've been told I've been feeling a bit under the weather lately and this morning I found out why. The CMO called me after Tavaryn left and I found out I'm pregnant."

"Don't get me wrong...now that some of the shock has worn off I'm excited but I'm a bit worried as to what Tavaryn will think."

"Onashi to the Bridge. Admiral, this is Lt. Onashi calling to confirm the meeting with the council."

Admiral Belina was looking over the data that the imperial ships had managed to aquire the data when Onashi called the bridge. Belina sighed heavily and opened up a comn channel back to him.

"I'm sorry Lt. Onashi, I forgot about the meeting. I think that the council is waiting for us both. The meeting is located on deck 2 section 32 meeting room 3. I'll meet you down there."

She waved Garja over and pointed at the data on the console. Make sure the data is stored so I can look over it later.

"Yes Admiral."

Belina headed for the lift and watched as her view of the bridge was closed off as the doors closed.

Ackbar

No...she didn't do anything like that. She just told me something that caught me by suprise. I'll tell you about it later. And I love you too.

Tavaryn couldn't shake the feeling that something was wrong or at least troubling Alriana. Still he was not the pushy type and he would wait for her to tell him if anything was wrong.

"I'm sorry Lt. Onashi, I forgot about the meeting. I think that the council is waiting for us both. The meeting is located on deck 2 section 32 meeting room 3. I'll meet you down there."

"Roger that," Tavaryn replied as he finished putting things up. As far as he could see, he was in for a bad day. He left the training quarter and headed towards the lifts. He keyed in the deck and stood there pinching the bridge of his nose.

"I don't want anyone else to know for now and I think I can trust you not to tell...I think you've been told I've been feeling a bit under the weather lately and this morning I found out why. The CMO called me after Tavaryn left and I found out I'm pregnant." "Don't get me wrong...now that some of the shock has worn off I'm excited but I'm a bit worried as to what Tavaryn will think."

Jun-la went over to the control panel and keyed the lift to come to a halt. She placed a hand on Alriana's shoulder and replied, "What exactly are you afraid of what he will say?" She knew her uncle well but even he had his moments. "Are you afraid that he will reject you?"

Naboo

"We just want to get them off our backs, so I hope you weren't planning on engaging the whole fleet."

Tonatius grinned as he banked to the right taking some of the fighters onto his six. He replied, "Now that would be stupid since swooping is bad. How do you want to do this?"

((Is there anyway I can include Varith into the Rp? I'm a bit stuck on how to bring him in.))

Ackbar

"What exactly are you afraid of what he will say?"

"No..." Alriana said quietly. "I'm afraid of what could happen. For all we know the sith could attack and something bad could happen. And to be honest I'm afraid I might screw up since I'm new to the whole motherhood thing."

"Are you afraid that he will reject you?"

"No...well...maybe." Alriana said in the same quiet tone of voice. "I'm afraid that he may think differently of me. I'm afraid that he may think that I'm weaker."

"Roger that,"

Belina waited until the lift arrived at the correct deck and began quickly walking towards the room. After a short walk she arrived and looked over the council.

"I just spoke with Tavaryn, he should be along shortly."

Ackbar

"No...well...maybe." Alriana said in the same quiet tone of voice. "I'm afraid that he may think differently of me. I'm afraid that he may think that I'm weaker.""I'm afraid of what could happen. For all we know the sith could attack and something bad could happen. And to be honest I'm afraid I might screw up since I'm new to the whole motherhood thing."

Jun-la listened to the Jedi's fears intently. She remembered similar emotions and feelings. She chose her words carefully, "You know if you were that concerned about him thinking you to be weak, think about it this way: If he thought you to be weak, he wouldn't have work so hard to follow you when you were unfrozen and convince you to stay true. Besides I don't think he would ever think that of you considering that he claims you're the one who, and I quote, saved his sorry arse from a fate worse that death.'"

Jun-la chuckled a little bit. She remembered that particular conversation when she came in on her father and uncle talking a few weeks ago and her father teased him about his love life. She gave a slight cough before continuing, "As for the motherhood thing, no one is born knowing how to do it. Most of it is trial and error and the balance between duty as a Jedi and duty as a mother. For me I hope that being good at the former makes me better at the latter. It also helps when you have someone who knows that and you can share the burden."

Ackbar

"You know if you were that concerned about him thinking you to be weak, think about it this way: If he thought you to be weak, he wouldn't have work so hard to follow you when you were unfrozen and convince you to stay true. Besides I don't think he would ever think that of you considering that he claims you're the one who, and I quote, saved his sorry arse from a fate worse that death.'"

Alriana looked over at Jun-la and a small smile appeared on her face. "Thank you. For reminding me that I'm usually the one that ends up saving him from going to the bacta tank and from the CMO."

"As for the motherhood thing, no one is born knowing how to do it. Most of it is trial and error and the balance between duty as a Jedi and duty as a mother. For me I hope that being good at the former makes me better at the latter. It also helps when you have someone who knows that and you can share the burden."

Alriana looked down at her stomach and then back at Jun-la. "I was wondering...since you already have a child do you have any tips or secrets I should know about? Something that could help Tavaryn and I when the baby is born?"

Ackbar

"Thank you. For reminding me that I'm usually the one that ends up saving him from going to the bacta tank and from the CMO."

Jun-la chuckled. "That's not what I was referring to but you make a valid point. Thing is he loves you with all his heart and I don't think that's about to change anytime soon."

"I was wondering...since you already have a child do you have any tips or secrets I should know about? Something that could help Tavaryn and I when the baby is born?"

Jun-la gave a slight smile before giving her answer. She then said, "There's no big secret to parenting Alriana. You love your child as much as you can, teach them right from wrong and be there for them when they have to learn to pick themselves up after they fall." She gave a reassuring pat on Alriana's shoulder. "Thing is it is always better when the parents are in on it together so I think you should find time to tell him, even if you have to drag him away from the Shinigami council. I don't doubt he'll be there for you."

Jun-la then turned the lift back on before turning around to say, "When your shift is over, I suggest you come down to mine and Matton's quarters. Meet Kaillian. She likes kind people and she hasn't met her uncle yet. How far along?"

"I just spoke with Tavaryn, he should be along shortly."

Fen'Harel, head of the Shingami council looked at the Republic admiral with polite impassiveness. He then replied, "Good. We prefer to relay our requests through the Sentinel and we have questions about his time away from the Shinigami."

Tavaryn double timed his strides towards the meeting room. Outside the door he took a deep breath and slowly opened the door. He walked in saying, "Greetings Admiral, Councilman Fen'Harel. I believe we have come together to decided on our next move?"

Fen'Harel nearly scowled at the fact the boy didn't speak in his ancestral language to address them. He spoke in Avalonian, "Sentinel you know that Shinigami secrets are kept by all. However we need to know the resistance's strength if we are to supply the difference."

Tavaryn gritted his teeth and replied in Avalonian, "How can you know if we don't speak basic?"

"By all means, spill our secrets. That has been our means of survival, your survival as your mother wanted it."

"Don't bring my family into this. They served with distinction and I acknowledge that but don't hang it over my head. If we are to take back teh Republic, we need to cooperate and work together." Tavaryn then switched to Basic and addressed Belina, "Admiral, they wish to know the strength of the resistance."

((JP with the Doctor))

In a chair he'd grabbed from the common room, tipped back against the wall, Kavrik Zall stared lazily into one of the crew-quarters-turned-holding-cells of his ship, the Freedom. The ray shield was active, keeping his latest target contained. In retrospect, he thought it a shame she'd resisted him. After all, wasn't he trying to bring about a family reunion here? That he was getting paid to do it was only a minor bonus.

He snorted. Major bonus. Whoever this girl was, her grandparents were certainly far more well off than she was. Even well enough off to keep their granddaughter imprisoned against her will.

"Word has it," he said, "that you've been looking for your family history. Suddenly it falls in your lap and you don't want it?"

Nasrene glared at him, her arms folded across her chest, and sighed through her nose. "Sorry, I'm having trouble with the 'drag her at gunpoint into a force cage' bit. I'm no expert, but it doesn't seem very grand-parental to me."

Kavrik chuckled. "Be fair. You've got a bed and a chair, and your own private refresher..." He glanced into the corner of the room where yet another door had been removed and amended with a grin. "Well, it used to be private." He shrugged. "More amenities than most prison cells can offer though."

"Yeah, it's a real pleasure yacht, your ship here," she replied venomously. "I forgot to ask when I came in - when do they serve breakfast? I'm a real beast before my morning bagel."

"Ah, so that's the attitude problem," Kavrik said. "And here I was thinking it was because I shot you with a stun bolt and carried you here against your will."

Suddenly, the ship lurched, nearly throwing Kavrik off his chair. He scowled. "Lys, tell me that wasn't what I thought it was."

A feminine voice replied calmly, "Interdictor field, sir. Looks to be pirates."

Kavrik shook his head. "Stall them as long as you can, then prepare to take them out as they board." He laughed. "Fools don't know who they've caught..."

Nasrene had braced herself against the wall when the ship rocked, and was standing at the edge of the force field as her captor rose from his seat. "What's going on?" she demanded to know. "What does she mean, 'pirates'?"

Kavrik shot her a glare. "Pirates are pirates, darlin'." He frowned thoughtfully. "Well financed ones, it seems, if they're able to afford and maintain an interdictor."

"Kav," the woman's voice said urgently, "the hyperdrive was damaged by that interdictor field. I might be able to get it active in spurts, but the sooner we land somewhere for repairs, the better. Either way, it's looking like we'll have to fight them off this time."

"Understood," Kavrik growled. He grinned faintly at Nasrene. "I'd say stay put, but really, where you gonna go?"

She balled her fists and glared, but the forcefield prevented her from reacting exactly as she'd have liked.

Just as Kavrik turned to enter the common room, the woman he'd called Lys spoke again over the intercom, "The pirates have a boarding ship inbound, Kav. By its size, I'd say there'd be forty of them at best."

Kavrik rolled his eyes. "Maybe they do know who they're tackling. Thanks for the reassuring enemy count, Lys."

Nasrene's insides turned to ice, her anger momentarily forgotten. "Forty?" she asked quietly. "Did she say forty?" She moved right up against the force cage, close enough to feel the faint heat rising from its surface. "Let me out," she said suddenly. It wasn't an order, more a statement of fact. "You can't have a crew of any more than ten. If they're sending a boarding party that size, you'll need all the help you can get."

Kavrik hesitated just inside the common room, considering. Slowly, he turned back and glanced toward the cockpit. "Lys, options?"

"Wouldn't hurt to have an extra hand," Lys answered. "Besides that, you did tell me she was a challenge to catch."

Kavrik glared. "I said almost a challenge." He grinned to Nasrene, switched off the ray shield, and held out one of his blaster pistols to her. "No offense, darlin', but I'm used to taking down Force users."

"None taken," she said resentfully, snatching the blaster from his hand. She deftly checked the powerpack before meeting his eye again. "Lead the way, captain."

"Lys," Kavrik called, "where are they breaching?"

"Looks like cargo hold," Lys answered. "I'm projecting false life signs in most other places. That's their cleanest entry point."

"Alright," Kavrik said, entering the common room and flipping the table. He glanced at Nasrene. "We'll hold here. Most of 'em probably won't make it up here anyway..." He grinned and winked at Nasrene. “Trust me on that.”

"Trust you, right..." Nasrene muttered darkly. To him, she said "So the rest of your crew will hold them down below, yeah? How many people do you have, anyway?"

Kavrik's grin widened. "Depends on your definition of people."

"Kav, they've breached the cargo bay."

"Let 'em come in, Lys," Kavrik said. "Let 'em think they're making good headway. Then spring the first trap." To Nasrene, he continued, "If you're talking sentient, organic life, there's just me. But Lysandra more than makes up for any imaginable shortfalls of that."

"Hold on," she blurted. "What's Lysandra then? Are you telling me it's just you, me, and a computer against a crew of bloody pirates?"

From somewhere below them, the faint sound of blaster fire could be heard. After several long seconds, it ceased.

"Bit more than a computer, thanks," Lysandra's voice said. "Twenty-one down, seventeen of them dead. Half of the remainder have fled back to their boarding ship. The rest are either immobile from fear or pressing on. I count... eight coming your way."

Understood, Lys," Kavrik said. "Thanks." He glanced at Nasrene. "Feeling better yet?"

Nasrene looked around at the bulkheads apprehensively before replying: "About the pirates, maybe," she said. "Now it's your 'more than a computer' I'm worried about."

With a laugh, Kavrik shook his head. "Well, she did speak up in favor of letting you out of the cage, didn't she?"

At that moment, shouts were heard as the pirates moved through the deck, checking the aft storage compartments first. Kavrik motioned for Nasrene to drop out of sight behind the table and did so himself. The pirates moved into the common room and stopped.

“Clear here, too,” one of them said. “What the hell? What about the life readings?”

Panels in the walls slid open, revealing unmanned turrets, much as there had been in the cargo hold. Lysandra said coolly, “I lied.”

Kavrik motioned to Nasrene and jumped up from behind the table, firing his blaster at the man who had spoken as the turrets in the walls opened fire. Eight pirates soon turned into six, then five. A shot from Kavrik found another hiding behind the bar in the galley, two met their end by shots from Nasrene. The rest were dispatched efficiently by Lysandra, the ‘more than a computer’. Satisfied with the result, Kavrik turned to Nasrene and held out his hand.

"Good shooting," he said, "but I'll be having that blaster back now, thanks."

Nasrene keept a firm hold on the blaster's grip. "You really think I'm going to just hand back a weapon and let you put me behind a forcefield again?" She laughed mirthlessly. "Think again."

Kavrik shrugged. "Darn," he said carelessly, turning away. But he suddenly spun, closed the distance between them in a flash, and wrenched the blaster out of her hand. Holstering it with a flourish, he turned and headed for the bridge.

"Pick a weapon from the dead pirates," he said. "Then pick a room that's still got a door. The only one that won't let you in is mine, and you can set your own security code on the one you choose. When you’re done, come up to the bridge.”

Nasrene watched him walk away, a surprised and oddly suspicious look on her face. She gingerly bent down next to one of the dead pirates. She wasn't sure whether it had been her, the bounty hunter, or his ship that had killed him.

Inexplicable fear clawed at her chest as she leant over him towards his belt - now that the heat of battle had past, the full realisation of what had happened was washing over her. She undid his holster and belt quickly, fumbling with it a great deal in her effort to keep from touching the dead man himself.

She rose a few seconds later with his blaster and its holster in hand. She removed her jacket before wrapping the belt around her own waist. When she put her jacket back on, the holster was rather well hidden beneath the folds of leather. She threw an anxious look at the turrets in the wall before following Kavrik out of the room.

As Nasrene left the lift and found herself on the bridge, Lysandra was saying, “The boarding ship has pulled out. They’re heading back to the mothership.”

“You’re scrambling transmissions, I assume,” Kavrik said, bent over the pilot’s controls. “Any luck at canceling their interdiction field?”

“Just about,” Lysandra answered, “but there’s another problem. This ship being old as it is, getting yanked out of hyperspace like that was hard on the hyperdrive. We’ll need repairs. I can manage a short hop. Looks like our best bet will be Tatooine.”

Kavrik leaned back in his chair, wrinkled his nose and turned to Nasrene. “You ever been to Tatooine?” he asked. “I never did like the place. Back o’ beyond, and nothing but sand and hot.”

Nasrene shook her head, frowning. "Sorry, never had the pleasure." A small smirk spread slowly across her face. "But not to worry - I like it hot."

Kavrik grinned. "Promises, promises."

"Interdictor's out!" Lysandra shouted suddenly. "Nasrene, you might want to brace yourself."

Kavrik winked at Nasrene. "Never a dull moment with me."

"We'll see..." she muttered under her breath, bracing herself against the back of Zavrik's seat. As soon as she had, the ship moved into hyperspace, headed for Tatooine.

Tatooine

At that, Komad and Iyav drew their weapons, alerted to the trap they had found themselves in.

"Think carefully, Jedi. I own this cantina, and everyone here knows it. You could strike me down, but can you fight your way out? And even if you can, are you really willing to kill so many?" Doran asked. "I'll make you a deal, Iyav. Your husband stays with me, I hand him over to the Sith, and you take the intel I gave you back to the Resistance."

Komad chuckled, "You obviously know who I am. Do you honestly think I can't fight my way out without killing anyone?" He asked.

Naboo

"Focus on outrunning them, and pick off any that get too close." Kalla instructed. "R7, see if you can find us a secluded spot close to Theed where we can land." She then told the astromech droid connected to her fighter.

Ackbar

"When your shift is over, I suggest you come down to mine and Matton's quarters. Meet Kaillian. She likes kind people and she hasn't met her uncle yet. How far along?"

"Around a month and a half." she said with a smile on her face. "I wonder what Tavaryn will say when he meets Kaillian. And I wonder how he'll react when she calls him uncle."

She restarted the lift and stayed silent as it headed for the bridge. Just as they arrived she turned to Jun-la and smiled again. "I wonder how Admiral Belina will react when I tell her that I'm going to need maternity leave in a few months."

"Admiral, they wish to know the strength of the resistance."

Belina frowned at the council. She would have liked to know what they had said but they were speaking in some other language. "The resistance currently has around sixty ships but most are smaller ships. We do have around twenty capital ships but some of them are damaged either from encounters with sith ships or from lack of repairs. On occasion we run across a few ships that managed to escape the sith and we add them to the resistance."

"We have quite a few ground troops and other ground forces but we have no way of replacing the troops and other forces that we lose. We also have only a few combat instructors."

She looked over at Tavaryn. "If I missed anything feel free to add it."

Ackbar

"Around a month and a half. I wonder what Tavaryn will say when he meets Kaillian. And I wonder how he'll react when she calls him uncle."

Jun-la shared a smile with Alriana. She then said, "You want the truth? He's an old softie when it comes to children. You met Murasaki. While we are cousins, they are more like uncle and niece. He practically taught her how to use her fists. They are close. As for you, seeing Kaillian will be good practice for you."

"I wonder how Admiral Belina will react when I tell her that I'm going to need maternity leave in a few months."

Jun-la walked with Alriana. She replied, "Well she'll either be overjoyed at a baby or overly pissed she's losing her chief of security... or both. Either way, she'll take it out on Tavaryn since it is, to quote generally, his fault." She then laughed remembering a similar situation with Matton.

"If I missed anything feel free to add it."

Tavaryn replied, "I've nothing to add Admiral." He then turned towards the council and said, "As you can see the resistance is limited. May I remind you that the Jedi are not exactly welcome and have been hunted. It is the duty of the Shinigami to watch and protect the Jedi."

"I am well aware of that Sentinel," Fen'Harel replied, "Funny that you mention duty to watching and protecting since you have not exactly been doing that."

"I beg to differ. Currently there are three Jedi on board and I have fulfilled my duty," Tavaryn replied. He then muttered in Avalonian, "Duty that has not been foresworn."

"Something to discuss later," Fen'Harel replied in Basic. He then said to Belina, "Seeing as these are desperate times Admiral, we are in the process of recalling all our shinigami that are scattered across known and unknown space. This should bolster forces significantly and I am sure that the Avalonian fleets are preparing as well. It is a known practice to withdraw from tyrant regimes. Avalon did when the Empire was born."

Tavaryn shifted on his feet. "This is true Admiral. Avalon may not be perfect but they always stand true to the ideals of democracy and freedom of choice."

Fen'Harel looked at the Admiral, "I hope that this resistance succeeds Admiral."

Naboo

"Focus on outrunning them, and pick off any that get too close."

Tonatius grinned and teased, "Always so bossy moi chroi. If we need to make a break for the surface, I suggest the swamps. We can hide our energy signatures much more easily and we do have friend in the swamps." He then banked to the right to mislead the fighters. He flipped over and got behind one and targeted it, sending it into oblivion.

Ackbar

"You want the truth? He's an old softie when it comes to children. You met Murasaki. While we are cousins, they are more like uncle and niece. He practically taught her how to use her fists. They are close. As for you, seeing Kaillian will be good practice for you."

Alriana was trying to contain the feelings of happiness but failed as a large smile appeared on her face. "I can't tell you how relieved I am to hear that. It's good to know that he likes children."

"Well she'll either be overjoyed at a baby or overly pissed she's losing her chief of security... or both. Either way, she'll take it out on Tavaryn since it is, to quote generally, his fault."

"Well... I hope that she ends up being happy." Alriana said. "I don't plan on putting this child up for adoption or anything. If she gets angry about the baby then she'll have to deal with it."

"I hope that this resistance succeeds Admiral."

Belina looked over the council and smiled at them. "I have a feeling once we are all united that we'll stand a decent chance of beating the sith back to where they came from. As we speak, I have a team going over data that that resistance managed to steal."

Ackbar

"I can't tell you how relieved I am to hear that. It's good to know that he likes children."

Jun-la smiled back before sobering slightly, "Like my father, he has never had what you would call a normal childhood but it is a blessing that he has retained the goodness in his heart. Besides I think you should know that sometimes children born to Shinigami parents are raised within the order so he has had plenty of practice."

"I don't plan on putting this child up for adoption or anything. If she gets angry about the baby then she'll have to deal with it."

Jun-la laughed at that, "Oh I think she'll be happy. It's the Admiral talking when she gets pissed. I think Tavaryn figured that out long ago which is why he likes to make her madder by laughing at her."

"I have a feeling once we are all united that we'll stand a decent chance of beating the sith back to where they came from. As we speak, I have a team going over data that that resistance managed to steal."

Fen'Harel looked at the admiral with a modicum of respect. He nodded and said, "It surprises me how well your operatives work in the field. I've had interesting reports about your famous Alpha Team. If I am not mistaken, they have a most unusual talent of stealth, not unlike our own operatives." He gave a knowing smile towards Tavaryn who merely shrugged his shoulders.

((JP with Writer))

The mottled blue corridor of hyperspace gave way to streak-like stars on all sides that resolved to pinpricks as Kavrik's ship dropped out of hyperspace and darted for the planet before them. As Kav relayed instructions for landing to the ship's talking computer, Nasrene moved around his chair and took the copilot's seat.

Her insides turned to ice as she saw how quickly the planet's surface was rushing towards them - the starscape beyond it was now almost completely obscured by the planet itself. "What can I do to help?" she asked as the ship began to rock, and both Kav and the computer fell silent.

Through clenched teeth, Kav answered: "Get on the comm. Tell 'em down there that we're comin' in hot and we'll definitely need repairs."

"Right," she replied. She accessed the comm system, fumbling a little over the unfamiliar controls as the ship gave another heavy lurch. "This is the starship... erhm... the starship..."

"Freedom!" shouted Kav over the din.

"Right, sorry--this is the starship Freedom, calling any docking station on Tatooine. We're coming in to land, but we've taken damage. Our engines and stabilisers are offline. We request urgent assistance. Repeat: urgent assistance!"

There was no response. "Did they hear us? Isn't there a way to tell on most ships these days?"

A small green light came on to her right. "They heard you," Lysandra said sharply. "Kav, they've sent me a descent pattern. Giving it to you know."

Kavrik glanced to his left and grimaced. "It's gonna be rough, but I think I can hold that..."

His face set in determination, he guided the ship roughly along the suggested flight pattern, taking them over the city and out just beyond the normal landing pads. A sandy runway came into view and he made for it.

"Ooh, this is gonna hurt..." Lysandra whined as they fell toward it.

"Shut up," Kavrik snapped. The ship hit the runway at an angle, skidding forward and spinning to one side. Slowly, they slid to a stop and all but the ship's emergency power system failed.

"Told... you," Lysandra's voice whispered. Then she too fell silent. Grimly, Kavrik rolled his neck and shoulders and rose.

"C'mon," he said to Nasrene. "Let's see what we can find out about repairs."

Ackbar

Like my father, he has never had what you would call a normal childhood but it is a blessing that he has retained the goodness in his heart. Besides I think you should know that sometimes children born to Shinigami parents are raised within the order so he has had plenty of practice."

"That raises a large burden off my shoulders. It's good to know that he's had practice with children."

Oh I think she'll be happy. It's the Admiral talking when she gets pissed. I think Tavaryn figured that out long ago which is why he likes to make her madder by laughing at her."

Alriana sighed in relief. "That's good to know." A sudden thought came to her. "Just out of curiosity, has the Admiral ever asked to come down and visit your family during her off duty hours?"

"It surprises me how well your operatives work in the field. I've had interesting reports about your famous Alpha Team. If I am not mistaken, they have a most unusual talent of stealth, not unlike our own operatives."

"It was actually a join operation by our own republic forces and a famous Imperial stealth squad, but thanks for the compliment." Belina said. "As for Alpha team...they are the best squad in the resistance."

Belina was about to speak more when her comnlink went off. "Excuse me for just a moment." She said as she walked to a corner of the room and answered it.

"Belina here."

"Admiral, this is Garja, we just finished going through the data and we believe that we've found something important. When you have a moment I believe you should come to the bridge."

Ackbar

"That raises a large burden off my shoulders. It's good to know that he's had practice with children."

Jun-la smiled. She was by all means younger than the Jedi in front of her but she felt like an elder giving advice. "You both will be fine." They arrived at the bridge deck and started walking down the corridor.

"Just out of curiosity, has the Admiral ever asked to come down and visit your family during her off duty hours?"

"No harm in asking. To answer your question, the admiral has met both me and Matton but not Kaillian. I was thinking of asking her down for dinner along with you two. Don't worry I'm not trying anything but I think it might soften her up...just a smidge." Jun-la then gave a short laugh. They arrived at the bridge and she stood aside so Alriana could key in the bridge code.

They were joined by Andros who came running up waving his data pad. He was out of breath but excited. He said, "The modifications I made are taking some action in the Naboo system."

"As for Alpha team...they are the best squad in the resistance."

Fen'Harel glanced again at Tavaryn who was doing his best to look innocent. "Indeed they would be if they had good trainer in those techniques."

Tavaryn said nothing and tried to look as if everything were normal. He reached into his bond with Alriana and sensed she was a lot calmer and that she was... relieved? He reached out, Feeling better, love?

Fen'Harel watched Tavaryn with the practiced eye of being observant without appearing to. He had known the boy since his mother came to them long ago and had watched out for him and trained him in everything he knew. Though the council before him would have disapproved of the boy leaving and joining the fleet, his council approved. Much had changed and the need to protect the Jedi as well as those loyal to the Republic was greater. As he watched the boy, he noticed a slight change occur and he realized that he was communicating with someone, someone important. He brought his attention back to the admiral and asked, "I surmise that you have information that would help the resistance. Am I correct Admiral?"

Ackbar

"No harm in asking. To answer your question, the admiral has met both me and Matton but not Kaillian. I was thinking of asking her down for dinner along with you two. Don't worry I'm not trying anything but I think it might soften her up...just a smidge."

"That's not a bad idea." Alriana said thoughtfully. "And to be honest, I think that it would soften her up more then just a smidge. The Admiral doesn't have any children herself as far as I know."

Alriana looked down at the floor and then looked back up at Jun-la. "I was actually hoping that you would allow me to make my big announcement in your cabin if the Admiral comes by."

Feeling better, love?

Alriana smiled as she heard Tavaryn's voice in her head. Much better, yes. She sent back. We may be joining Jun-la and Matton after my shift is done.

"I surmise that you have information that would help the resistance. Am I correct Admiral?"

Belina turned back towards the others and turned her comnlink off. "You are correct. In fact I just recieved a message that we may have found something important. If you want, I can have the contents of the data transmitted down here right now."

Archived