Home

SWG is Saved !!!

dust906

Actually if Lucasarts felt it was detrimental to their IP, they could shut it down in a heartbeat. They won't at this time, but... It could happen.

no they cannot .... please read the emu FAQ

theirs no way they can be shut down..... it's a donation based company... non profit organization

It's a Lucas owned IP. There is the possibility of it being shut down. There's a number of legal tricks that should LucasArts find it necessary, they could shut it down. Not to mention, they could shut it down by default by keeping the lawyers on the site to the point htat they devs there feel it just isn't worth the headache.

It's a Lucas owned IP. There is the possibility of it being shut down. There's a number of legal tricks that should LucasArts find it necessary, they could shut it down. Not to mention, they could shut it down by default by keeping the lawyers on the site to the point htat they devs there feel it just isn't worth the headache.

they tried to get it taken down already.....are you that blind to just read the FAQ on their website ?

i wouldn't be suprised if lucasarts condone's the creation of swgemu..... it would be a good idea to back them seeing as their closing the SOE version

SWG-EMU cannot be shut down by lawyers , courts , or anything IP related PERIOD

they tried to get it taken down already.....are you that blind to just read the FAQ on their website ?

i wouldn't be suprised if lucasarts condone's the creation of swgemu..... it would be a good idea to back them seeing as their closing the SOE version

If LA wants to ....they can do it. They know where it is...they know the code.

You OBVIOUSLY know nothing about copyright and intellectual property laws. If Lucas Arts had tried to shut down any SWG EMU it would already be history. No matter how many disclaimers the EMU guys put in a FAQ the fact remains the EMU is a violation of the EULA because you are editing the client side code to create your own server.

If Lucas Arts wants the EMU gone it will be gone so fast your head will spin.

SOE is the one who'd have a hard time getting it shut-down.

For Lucas Arts though, there is nothing that the EMU folks could do if/when they decide to get it shut down.

It has nothing to do with non-profit or even with the SWG game code (whether original or not). The violation is in using the Star Wars brand and material in an unauthorized and unlicensed manner. Copyright laws do not state that use of someone else's intellectual property is ok as long as you're not making a profit. Unauthorized use is unauthorized use and in that regard, the EMU is in clear violation of copyright laws.

LA has chosen not to act on it in the past but that doesn't mean they'll continue to turn a blind eye. Especially considering they've shut down the version of the game that was still making a profit for them.

You OBVIOUSLY know nothing about copyright and intellectual property laws. If Lucas Arts had tried to shut down any SWG EMU it would already be history. No matter how many disclaimers the EMU guys put in a FAQ the fact remains the EMU is a violation of the EULA because you are editing the client side code to create your own server.

If Lucas Arts wants the EMU gone it will be gone so fast your head will spin.

here we go

wrong again

the entire code is made of the devs at SWG-emu and absolutely NONE of lucas-arts code was used at all..... the entire game was recoded from the ground up and therefore , is grounds to say , your all wrong

no client side code editing , and it's their own code.......arguement dead

IT CANNOT BE TAKEN DOWN BY LA period.......the end

For Lucas Arts though, there is nothing that the EMU folks could do if/when they decide to get it shut down.

It has nothing to do with non-profit or even with the SWG game code (whether original or not). The violation is in using the Star Wars brand and material in an unauthorized and unlicensed manner. Copyright laws do not state that use of someone else's intellectual property is ok as long as you're not making a profit. Unauthorized use is unauthorized use and in that regard, the EMU is in clear violation of copyright laws.

LA has chosen not to act on it in the past but that doesn't mean they'll continue to turn a blind eye. Especially considering they've shut down the version of the game that was still making a profit for them.

LA has acted , and failed !! what don't you get

you cannot persue people who distribute items recreated from the ground up......and using the brand name can't be grounds for a suit because "it is a project"

you cannot sue a project for using a name when it is not marketable what-so-ever

you cannot sue anyone who distributes a project for no personal gain

if no profit is made on the brand (even without the permission to use) you cannot sue.......CAUSE THEY DIDN"T MAKE ANYTHING YOU CAN SUE FOR

IP only counts when your going to market something , otherwise , your just yelling into my ear , when i have a earplug in

here we go

wrong again

the entire code is made of the devs at SWG-emu and absolutely NONE of lucas-arts code was used at all..... the entire game was recoded from the ground up and therefore , is grounds to say , your all wrong

no client side code editing , and it's their own code.......arguement dead

IT CANNOT BE TAKEN DOWN BY LA period.......the end

LOL!

Read my post immediately before your last one.

It has NOTHING to do with the game's code at all. The fact that it is original code only protects them from SOE.

Or do you perhaps think that Lucas Arts might not own all rights and marks of the Star Wars brand? They do. And anyone who uses it must get approval or they must cease and desist if asked.

So yes, argument = dead. But not in the manner I think you hope.

and what do you think they can do ?

they can't physically tell the EMU guys to pull the game down , or they would have ..... you don't think george lucas has some of the best IP lawyers ?

they can't sue , cause to sue you had to have made some money of some type to feel the need for compensation and that would have to be BRAND only

LA has acted , and failed !! what don't you get

you cannot persue people who distribute items recreated from the ground up......and using the brand name can't be grounds for a suit because "it is a project"

you cannot sue a project for using a name when it is not marketable what-so-ever

you cannot sue anyone who distributes a project for no personal gain

if no profit is made on the brand (even without the permission to use) you cannot sue.......CAUSE THEY DIDN"T MAKE ANYTHING YOU CAN SUE FOR

IP only counts when your going to market something , otherwise , your just yelling into my ear , when i have a earplug in

Copyright is copyright. And if you use someone's copyrighted intellectual property without permission you are in violation of the copyright.

Whether or not profit is made would be taken into consideration when determining whether damages are awarded. That's all. It doesn't change the fact that a violation has happened nor would it change the legal action of a judge who would order that the copyrighted material be removed.

If the copyright owner chooses to ignore it, you aren't out anything. If the copyright owner decides to tell you to cease and desist, then you must.

I'd love to see where it states Lucas Arts made attempts in the past. SOE might have, but their actions would be based on something different and for them it's not as cut and dried.

LOL!

Read my post immediately before your last one.

It has NOTHING to do with the game's code at all. The fact that it is original code only protects them from SOE.

Or do you perhaps think that Lucas Arts might not own all rights and marks of the Star Wars brand? They do. And anyone who uses it must get approval or they must cease and desist if asked.

So yes, argument = dead. But not in the manner I think you hope.

i bought the disks ....... i own the property , and im using it to connect to another server WHICH , btw , has nothing to do with Lucas , so it's on the computer i bought the disks to play with... where's the arguement now ?

so , they gonna sue me ? tell me i can't play ? take my disks away ?

Copyright is copyright. And if you use someone's copyrighted intellectual property without permission you are in violation of the copyright.

Whether or not profit is made would be taken into consideration when determining whether damages are awarded. That's all. It doesn't change the fact that a violation has happened nor would it change the legal action of a judge who would order that the copyrighted material be removed.

If the copyright owner chooses to ignore it, you aren't out anything. If the copyright owner decides to tell you to cease and desist, then you must.

I'd love to see where it states Lucas Arts made attempts in the past. SOE might have, but their actions would be based on something different and for them it's not as cut and dried.

and you also fail to see the words project ....... this game is only available to people who register ...... and is not a marketed item at all

since when is it legal to sue someone before a production can even take place

because to play the game , you have to agree to their TOS ...... which would stop any potential lawsuit to begin with

i own my disks , so therefore i can play SWG from wherever i choose , and no you can't say what server i can connect to

i bought the disks ....... i own the property , and im using it to connect to another server WHICH , btw , has nothing to do with Lucas , so it's on the computer i bought the disks to play with... where's the arguement now ?

so , they gonna sue me ? tell me i can't play ? take my disks away ?

1) You purchased a license to use the software. You don't own the software lol.

2) The intellectual property in this case is the name "Star Wars" and the various parts of the brand which appear throughout the game. No one owns that property other than Lucas Arts. And only Lucas Arts has the legal right to determine how the Star Wars name and branding is used. That is what copyright is.

3) This is bordering on ridiculous. So I'll simply say that sometimes it benefits the copyright holder to NOT go after violators. Such has been the case with the EMU up until now however going forward is anybody's guess. Lucas Arts may continue to ignore it. They may not. Given their reasoning for shutting down SWG, my guess is that they'll pursue it at some point in the not too distant future.

1) You purchased a license to use the software. You don't own the software lol.

2) The intellectual property in this case is the name "Star Wars" and the various parts of the brand which appear throughout the game. No one owns that property other than Lucas Arts. And only Lucas Arts has the legal right to determine how the Star Wars name and branding is used. That is what copyright is.

3) This is bordering on ridiculous. So I'll simply say that sometimes it benefits the copyright holder to NOT go after violators. Such has been the case with the EMU up until now however going forward is anybody's guess. Lucas Arts may continue to ignore it. They may not. Given their reasoning for shutting down SWG, my guess is that they'll pursue it at some point in the not too distant future.

damn for someone with great puncuation and grammar.....Swg emu is still there and they need people like you to persue people they can't themselves

lucas-arts talked to swg-emu in 2004

http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=168673

they never disclosed any information

because to play the game , you have to agree to their TOS ...... which would stop any potential lawsuit to begin with

ROFL!!

Please show me where Lucas Arts has provided a TOS ;) The one you are referring to is only between the EMU folks and someone who plays their game. It has ZERO to do with this discussion.

I really suggest you do some reading on what copyright is and isn't.

ROFL!!

Please show me where Lucas Arts has provided a TOS ;) The one you are referring to is only between the EMU folks and someone who plays their game. It has ZERO to do with this discussion.

I really suggest you do some reading on what copyright is and isn't.

yea so to know theirs star wars content in the game , you have to agree to a TOS to play it .......

how you gonna persue having said agreed to a TOS

PLUS

and to halt your next post......you could physically pick up the servers , and move them to a location where your "IP" or copyright's don't fly

and you also fail to see the words project ....... this game is only available to people who register ...... and is not a marketed item at all

since when is it legal to sue someone before a production can even take place

i own my disks , so therefore i can play SWG from wherever i choose , and no you can't say what server i can connect to

I think what Onyxs is trying to say here, is that the Star Wars Theme, Iconic Characters and the Lightsaber in general, are all LucasArts/George Lucas' IP, and that they can step in at any time to say: "Hey, those are OUR ideas and fictional characters, and unless you pay us to use such material you will cease and desist from use or we will take you to court. Even though you're not making a profit from it, WE will determine a proper amount you should be penalized for."

Now if SWGEmu went as far as to pull out all the iconic characters and lightsaber animations (replaced with simple swords), I don't think they would be able to do anything. But as long as all the aforementioned IP material remains, they may have something to say about it.

"Can they?" you say? Well, did you hear about the recent event where this bar was showing all the SW movies back to back (NOT charging admission) to those that came, only to get a cease and desist order from the courts by LA/GL at the last minute, and to disperse of the gathering immediately? This DID happen, and although they (the bar) did BUY the movies for replay, they could not have a gathering of people to watch them. A pisspoor move by LA/GL? Perhaps... but it just goes to show that although you did pay for a portion of the IP, it's not your to do with as you please.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for the EMU - Pre-CU/NGEEmu/or otherwise. But again, if LA/GL deems it necessary to pull the plug, then at any time they would have the right to, F2P or not.

Archived