Home

SWG is Saved !!!

dust906

I think what Onyxs is trying to say here, is that the Star Wars Theme, Iconic Characters and the Lightsaber in general, are all LucasArts/George Lucas' IP, and that they can step in at any time to say: "Hey, those are OUR ideas and fictional characters, and unless you pay us to use such material you will cease and desist from use or we will take you to court. Even though you're not making a profit from it, WE will determine a proper amount you should be penalized for."

Now if SWGEmu went as far as to pull out all the iconic characters and lightsaber animations (replaced with simple swords), I don't think they would be able to do anything. But as long as all the aforementioned IP material remains, they may have something to say about it.

"Can they?" you say? Well, did you hear about the recent event where this bar was showing all the SW movies back to back (NOT charging admission) to those that came, only to get a cease and desist order from the courts by LA/GL at the last minute, and to disperse of the gathering immediately? This DID happen, and although they (the bar) did BUY the movies for replay, they could not have a gathering of people to watch them. A pisspoor move by LA/GL? Perhaps... but it just goes to show that although you did pay for a portion of the IP, it's not your to do with as you please.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for the EMU - Pre-CU/NGEEmu/or otherwise. But again, if LA/GL deems it necessary to pull the plug, then at any time they would have the right to, F2P or not.

good post....

that bar tho .... set out to make more money im guessing hosting the star wars party , and i can see why LA would be angered at that

now to counter this ..... i say look at how fast they sounded the horn

emu can argue they've been now doing this project for 7 years ?

The EMU has been in the works for about 5 years. However there is no time-limit on how soon the license holder may challenge.

The point you are missing is that it's entirely up to Lucas Arts as to whether they ignore it or pursue it.

There are reasons why they would do both. And up until now, they've chosen to allow it to continue by ignoring it.

Let's put it in a different light. Did you know that pretty much ALL fan fiction is in violation of copyright and trademark laws? In order to use the characters and/or settings in your story, you really need permission from the copyright/license holder. Of course that is rarely done.

But, it's "allowed" to be posted and passed along because the copyright/license holder chooses to not press the issue. In most cases that's because it's positive to the brand and it is in their best interest not to pursue it.

This is much the same. Up until this point, it's either not been something they were concerned about or it was seen as positive.

However, going forward, that might change. They've refused to renew the license for SWG--which was probably a pretty hefty chunk of change. They are trying to drive all traffic towards their "new" game. So will they continue to ignore this project? That's the real question. But there really isn't any question as to whether they have the right to get it shut down if they decide they want to.

The EMU has been in the works for about 5 years. However there is no time-limit on how soon the license holder may challenge.

The point you are missing is that it's entirely up to Lucas Arts as to whether they ignore it or pursue it.

There are reasons why they would do both. And up until now, they've chosen to allow it to continue by ignoring it.

Let's put it in a different light. Did you know that pretty much ALL fan fiction is in violation of copyright and trademark laws? In order to use the characters and/or settings in your story, you really need permission from the copyright/license holder. Of course that is rarely done.

But, it's "allowed" to be posted and passed along because the copyright/license holder chooses to not press the issue. In most cases that's because it's positive to the brand and it is in their best interest not to pursue it.

This is much the same. Up until this point, it's either not been something they were concerned about or it was seen as positive.

However, going forward, that might change. They've refused to renew the license for SWG--which was probably a pretty hefty chunk of change. They are trying to drive all traffic towards their "new" game. So will they continue to ignore this project? That's the real question. But there really isn't any question as to whether they have the right to get it shut down if they decide they want to.

I posted this same argument on the SWGEMU forums, adding they might have add a sliver of legal support while SWGNGE was still in business and held a legal license from LucasArts. But once that license to use the Star Wars content is gone, they may be in trouble. I think they are in denial.

Archived