Home

Trip to England

So I'll be having a trip on a few days to England. Hooray.

It'll be my first time there so if you guys have any, and I mean ANY, suggestion of things I should do/see around London and its surroundings, please do tell! Keep in mind I'll be staying there for nearly a month, which should be enough to do some sightseeing.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Same as the above although you might want to take a trip to my neck of the woods and go to Oxford it seems to be particularly popular with tourists at this time of year its about 60 miles away from London so either a train trip or the Oxford Tube bus will get you there.

Jesus, what's wrong with you people? Or is it because you live here it's a boring place by default? :p

Ctrl Alt Del, I'd echo Thanatos9t's sentiment that Oxford has some great sights, particularly Blenheim Palace.

That's if you don't get distracted with the tons of stuff that there is to see in London - the Imperial War Museum in particular is brilliant, as is the Natural History Museum.

Thanks, everyone. I like the Oxford suggestion. But since I want to save money (and possibly time), should I take the train or the bus? :)

And yes, I'm definetly going to the Eye, the Big Clock, the Palace, the Parliament and the Tower Bridge too. I'm told the lights there look awesome at night. Oh, and the museums.

And I don't blame you guys for thinking you live in a boring place. I suppose it's like this all over. Your neighbour always have greener grass.

London Eye and Big Ben are the usual places to go. You can also visit the Tower of London, which has (optional) guided tours, and is really interesting to go to. The British Museum is a place you have to go, no matter what. You can visit Trafalgar Square, too, and see Nelson's Column. I do know that there is a Sherlock Holmes museum on Baker Street (of course) and a Jack the Ripper tour in Whitechapel, but as I've never been to either, I can't really recommend them, but it can't hurt to throw an idea or two out, right? ;)

Thanks, everyone. I like the Oxford suggestion.

Visit London Eye and Big Ben as you can't go to London and not see/go to them but they are far from being the most interesting.

Cambridge is very nice too. If you're going there with friends, buy what you need to make a picnic at the local grocery , rent a punt in the evening as there are too many tourists during the day and have your picnic (beware of having too much beer/wine though or you could fall off in the river...). The train is a very good way to go here. I also liked Bath a lot. Anyway, make your pick: http://www.enjoyengland.com/Places-to-go/

If you stay there one month, you can also go to Scotland for a few days and come back through the English Lake district but in any event there is plenty to see in and around London. One month is not too much.

...and pay attention to the cars coming the "wrong" side of the road (get used to traffic before if you are going to rent a car) and when you take the tube, "mind the gap"...and keep in mind that the tube closes rather early and so do the pubs, especially for someone from Brazil :p

I've traveled quite a lot and think that London is actually my favorite city: it is very diverse, lots of things to see, lots of museums (history, natural sciences, arts, war, etc), lots of shows, concerts and plays, lots of pubs (stick to the beer though, not the food), food choice is also very varied in origins, shopping is great (I think it is the summer sales period as of now ) and there are districts of all kinds.

england, as much as i love it, isn't much of a tourist destination.
Meh...it's because you live there. I stayed in London for two months and spent some months in Cambridge as well. I never managed to get bored. .. or maybe it's just because I am from Canada...apart the countryside and landscapes, there isn't much to see here :p

If you stay there one month, you can also go to Scotland for a few days but in any event there is plenty to see in and around London. One month is not too much.

I'd agree with this. When I went to Britain, I was there slightly less than a month (and on a budget) and managed to hit both Glasgow and Edinburgh, as well as Cambridge and Oxford. There's a fair amount of stuff to do in London for someone visiting it for the first time, much of which has already been cited. Have a fun trip.

Ctrl Alt Del, I'd echo Thanatos9t's sentiment that Oxford has some great sights, particularly Blenheim Palace.

It's a bit of a way outside Oxford, Astor. :p

It's also hideously expensive.

That's if you don't get distracted with the tons of stuff that there is to see in London - the Imperial War Museum in particular is brilliant, as is the Natural History Museum.

This is true.

General hint for planning purposes around London: The Houses of Parliament, Big Ben, Westminster Abbey and Westminster Cathedral are all right on top of one another (only one has free entry, though). The London Eye is, IIRC, on the other side of the river from Parliament, but if you walk over Westminster bridge, the South Bank is well worth taking a walk along if the weather's good, it'll give you a good view of the various big buildings around Embankment, and will also take you up to the Southbank Centre and the National Theatre. Then if you walk up and across Blackfriar's Bridge, you're in striking distance of St Paul's, and the Old Bailey.

Other places of interest: The Bank of England on Threadneedle Street is well worth a look, at least at the (vast) exterior, and is right next to St Mary Woolnoth, which is one of the little architectural gems hidden in the City.

The Victoria and Albert Museum (V&A) is also well worth a look.

Trafalgar Square is essential, and has the National Gallery and National Portrait Gallery one one side, but is also very close to Buckingham Palace, Horseguards Parade, Pall Mall and all that. It's also in the middle of the embassy zone, so be careful who you punch. :p

The British Museum is on Great Russell Street, which you can reach (if you really want to) by walking up Tottenham Court Road and walking through a side street. It's also about 15 minutes walk from Covent Garden, and according to Google maps, 40 minutes away from the Imperial War Museum, walking past the National Theatre (see above) and the Old Vic.

If you like architectural variety, visit Fleet Street, former home of almost all British newspapers (the Times included). The Express building in particular is worth looking out for. If you do go to Fleet Street don't miss visiting Ye Olde Cheshire Cheese pub at no. 145a. Supposedly it was rebuilt after the Great Fire in 1666, and was also meant to have been patronised by Oliver Goldsmith, Dr Johnson, Alfred Lord Tennyson, Sir Arthur Conan-Doyle, GK Chesterton, and some bloke called Mark Twain. The pub is down a little alley, so you may have difficulty finding it.

You might also want to visit one of the big parks in the city - Hyde Park (take note of the various speakers at its Corner), or Green Park come to mind.

In terms of getting around London, the bus system works but can be confusing and not all buses will let you buy tickets when you get on. The Underground (or "tube" to denizens of the city), however, has clear maps, and is very often late and horribly crowded, but is an essential part of the London experience. Be careful when taking it, however, as the distance between stations on the Tube Map bears no relation whatsoever to their geographical location - Bank and Monument are in fact IIRC the same station separated by a long corridor underground, and a couple of minutes' walk overground. Buying a tube map is a sensible precaution, nevertheless, and an Oyster Card will make it easier to get around.

You can get to Oxford probably most easily by train from Paddington. Reaching Paddington may be a problem if there's a tube strike, though, and I think there are buses. Once there, there a tourist buses, tours round the various colleges, general tours round the city, there's the Ashmolean Museum, the Pitt Rivers Museum, and so on, but other people can probably fill you in on it rather more. :)

If I were going, I'd be taking in every cathedral, palace, castle and ruin that I could practically fit into the trip. England has some of the most fascinating architecture in the western world.

And I'd be sure to visit Burton upon Trent, where my favorite English ale is brewed.

Oh, and Big Brother will be watching you, so don't pick your nose or scratch your ass in public. SRSLY.

Burton on Trent? I went to school there, bout 8 miles from my house, that beer you love (and I ftr) made one hell of a foul stench during the summer months Hops n heat do not go well together :)

To be fair, I live in the Midlands (see above) so its mainly Fields, Housing estates, and Industry... and the odd small city here and there, and I havent been to London for anything other than Beer and Girls since I was 12, so I'm not the best person to listen too :)

Enjoy your Stay!

Yes, don't forget about the castles. You can't go to England without visting at least one castle, maybe someplace like Warwick Castle. Also don't forget about Stonehedge, if you have the time.

I also remember visiting the County fair in Coventry when I was six, don't know if those are still around now, but it was fun from a six year olds perspective. Lol, also remember hearing tales of a woman, Lady Godiva, riding nude on horseback through the streets of Coventry. As a six year old kid visiting England, I never expected to hear something like that. Maybe about a dragon are two, but not about a freaky lady riding nude on horseback.

I might extend my visit to the Midlands to see some friends. If anyone from here wants to meet and have some beer say it and we'll work out something.

I think that may actually make you a totally awesome tour guide.
Seconded.

Take an umbrella. Went there for a few days. The sun didn't shine once.
I'm told the weather is not terrific. Doesn't bother me much, I grow tired of this blasting sun anyway.

Yes, don't forget about the castles. You can't go to England without visting at least one castle, maybe someplace like Warwick Castle. [/Quote]

Warwick Castle truly is awesome, but it's definitely a bit far for Ctrl Alt Del to visit.

I also remember visiting the County fair in Coventry when I was six, don't know if those are still around now, but it was fun from a six year olds perspective. Lol, also remember hearing tales of a woman, Lady Godiva, riding nude on horseback through the streets of Coventry. As a six year old kid visiting England, I never expected to hear something like that. Maybe about a dragon are two, but not about a freaky lady riding nude on horseback.

I live and work on the edge of Coventry. I don't know about County fairs, but there's the Godiva festival every year. Lots of music and such. But beyond that, thanks to some extensive mid-century remodelling courtesy of the Hitler & Goering landscaping company, Coventry is a pretty depressing 1950s concrete nightmare.

But I think that's straying away from the point of the thread just a little bit. :p

Warwick Castle truly is awesome, but it's definitely a bit far for Ctrl Alt Del to visit.

Yeah your probably right, I can't remember how long the trip was, but I do remember the enormous size of the place. Imagine what that was like for a six year old from the U.S.A. to take in, I guess, as the Brits would say...I was "Gobsmacked".

I live and work on the edge of Coventry. I don't know about County fairs, but there's the Godiva festival every year. Lots of music and such. But beyond that, thanks to some extensive mid-century remodelling courtesy of the Hitler & Goering landscaping company, Coventry is a pretty depressing 1950s concrete nightmare.

But I think that's straying away from the point of the thread just a little bit. :p

Okay, you just jogged my memory a little, Astor. Now that I think about it, it was the Godiva festival that I was at. Not sure why I thought it was a County fair, unless somebody at one time tried to make a slight camparison for me. But it was definitely better than any County fair from my experience. And that probably explains were I first heard about or maybe even seen Lady Godiva. Because I could of swore I saw a woman, back then, dressed in a tight spandex suit, flesh colored, riding around on a white horse at that festival. Or maybe that was just my six year old mine hallucinating, from a caffeine high I got from all the tea I drank that day. :drool2:

Burton on Trent? I went to school there, bout 8 miles from my house, that beer you love (and I ftr) made one hell of a foul stench during the summer months Hops n heat do not go well together :)

On a similar note, I'd like to visit Tadcaster as well.

Thanks, everyone. I like the Oxford suggestion. But since I want to save money (and possibly time), should I take the train or the bus? :)

Hmm the Train is quicker but probably more expensive (I can't recall how much it is) on the bus (called the Oxford Tube) a return from London to Oxford costs £16.00 for one adult (about 26 American Dollars).

Archived