Home

Trip to England

Okay, you just jogged my memory a little, Astor. Now that I think about it, it was the Godiva festival that I was at. Not sure why I thought it was a County fair, unless somebody at one time tried to make a slight camparison for me. But it was definitely better than any County fair from my experience. And that probably explains were I first heard about or maybe even seen Lady Godiva. Because I could of swore I saw a woman, back then, dressed in a tight spandex suit, flesh colored, riding around on a white horse at that festival. Or maybe that was just my six year old mine hallucinating, from a caffeine high I got from all the tea I drank that day. :drool2:

Hey! The public nudity of Lady Godgifu is a matter of no small insignificance to the folk of England. We don't take too kindly to that sort of mockery. :carms:

On a similar note, I'd like to visit Tadcaster as well.

It grieves me to say it, coming from the other side of the Pennines as I do, but the East Midlands and Yorkshire have some of the best beer on tap. Of the breweries that are (probably) large enough to export, but whose beer you may not have tried, Castle Rock springs to mind. Especially their 'Screech Owl' IPA:

screechowl_info1.gif

I'm no great shakes when it comes to London, although I'm actually going down there myself for a few weeks in September, but if you can you may want to set aside some time to visit the 'provinces', Oxford and Cambridge have already been mentioned, but York and Durham on the east coast and Liverpool on the west are all well worth a visit, and Edinburgh too (you may catch some of the festival there, as well). There should be relatively fast rail links to all of those (though Durham may require a change at York). Then again, I suppose you're unlikely to exhaust London in the space of a month, so exploring other parts of the country may be spreading yourself too thinly.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I love stained glass windows/art, so I'd be checking every cathedral, old church, and castle I could find for it.

Look into a Fodor's guide to London--it'll give you great tips on places to visit. I'm sure there are books out there on visiting UK on a budget, too--I'm just not sure what they might be called.

Well, I may do just that quick update good GTA up there asked for. Really quick because I've been walking the whole day and feel wasted.

So far I've followed most of DI's tips of where to go and I'm having a blast. I'm actually staying Whelpley Hill, in Buckinghamshire, just about half an hour from London by train. London is crowded and it's simply so cosmopolitan that I hear five different languages every time I turn at a corner.

I have taken an incredible amount of pictures so far (dunno if anyone wants to see them, if that's the case drop a message or just take a look at my Facebook profile) and have been enjoying the weather (which has been very sunny thus far) and nightlife. Jagerbombs are evil, goes down so easily and you don't notice how drunk you are until it's too late - actually, all English seem to drink alcohol like it's water so I don't want to fall behind.

I'll probably be hitting Liverpool this weekend. Got a friend there that'll show me around. If you have suggestions, however, keep'em coming!

I can't see why you would want to go there, CAD, but obviously now you might want to consider avoiding Tottenham if you'd made plans for that area. :)

I have a friend there that is willing to show me the nice places over Liverpool. I might hit Salisbury and Oxford before, which are much more closer. And BTW why should I steer clear of Tottenham, if I may ask? Never made plans for going there but now I'm curious. :)

...and keep in mind that the tube closes rather early and so do the pubs, especially for someone from Brazil
And that is so true. All the shops are closing when I'm still halfway through it. Except for Thursdays on Westfield Mall, which are really great. Plus the long days confused me a lot. Took me a while to get used to them.

And BTW why should I steer clear of Tottenham, if I may ask? Never made plans for going there but now I'm curious. :)

There were massive riots and looting there last night, a lot of shops have been burnt out. It's definitely a no-go area now. It wasn't a big tourist spot anyway, from what I could tell, but it won't be now. ;)

yea be careful CAD, its spread to Birmingham, Liverpool, Nottingham and Bristol now, bad times, the scum of England are costing the tax payer yet more money, although instead of for benefits, its for all the Shops that have been looted and vandelised, and the extra 1600 police on duty in London alone.

yea be careful CAD, its spread to Birmingham, Liverpool, Nottingham and Bristol now, bad times, the scum of England are costing the tax payer yet more money, although instead of for benefits, its for all the Shops that have been looted and vandelised, and the extra 1600 police on duty in London alone.

People are destroying other people's livelihood, burning buildings, and generally being senseless idiots... and you're most concerned about a couple of extra pence at the end of everyone's tax invoice? Nice prioritizing there.

Despite living in Mumbai, I'm not a PhD on Riot Studies, but I'm really not sure if ten minutes away is a very safe distance. :indif: Well, unless you're a Skull. :p

Well, they have no reason to hit this place, Sabre. There're just... houses over here. Still, I'm probably looking for trouble by doing that. :xp:

People are destroying other people's livelihood, burning buildings, and generally being senseless idiots... and you're most concerned about a couple of extra pence at the end of everyone's tax invoice? Nice prioritizing there.

Yea maybe my priorities aren't in the order most peoples are... But a Drug Dealing Gangster carrying a loaded pistol gets shot by police so the country has the kind of widespread violence, looting, protesting and arson not seen since the Brixton Riots. there are buildings that survived the Blitz that have succumbed to this scum uprising. I'm just sad that I belong to this degenerate Nation.

These protests have long since stopped having anything to do with Duggan being shot, it's just a 'me too' attitude, maybe with a bit of anger about cuts mixed in. Hardly justifies it though. 'degenerate nation' though? No. Spoilt, yes, and to a certain extent repressed. And yet, I have no patience with people who would blame it on 'this generation'.

@C.A.D.: I would personally say that what you're considering doing is ultimately unwise, tempting such a fate, speaking as someone who has fended off hostiles before. However, I will not say what you should or should not do, so if you should journey out there, just please proceed with greatest of caution. Come back to us safely.

Archived