Home

Greatness of Starkiller

Klw

How does Starkiller stack up against the great force-wielders of the galaxy? In other words, what company does he deserve? Top 5? Top 10? Top 20? What do you say? By "greatness," I mean fighting skills, force powers, accomplishments, etc.

He defeated some very formidable Jedi masters, took down a massive starship with his mind, and soundly vanquished Darth Vader in a prolonged duel. I would also say that he beat up on Palpatine but we all know that the Emperor was faking it.

His force powers as shown in the game are probably exaggerated for effect, of course. So disregard the special effects as special effects.

What do you think?

If you want my opinion, I would say Top 10. But I don't know very much Star Wars canon to begin with.

Here's what has always been my take on it: Starkiller is a bit cheap. His whole training--unorthodox by both Jedi and Sith standards--was one big experiment. Vader trained him to be a Force wrecking ball, lacking any sense of restraint or discipline. Starkiller was raw power, and only when he discovered right from wrong did he truly regain his humanity.

So, in that sense, I have never felt that Starkiller's presence in the Star Wars mythos "cheapens" Luke or anyone else, as others have claimed. Luke accomplished what Starkiller could not because he was a normal boy with a realistic approach to the Force, whereas Starkiller was all power and no wisdom. In my opinion, he makes Luke stand out all the more.

Not sure how I'd rank him number-wise, but that's my take on the character.

I see where you're coming from. He's just a mess of conflicting emotions and raw talent that never really was tamed and put to use. He is either really angry or really frustrated or really in love. But maybe that's just the impression we get from playing a button-masher video game. The constant attacking and rushing from objective to objective may simply block out the careful thoughts and reflections that a character like Luke evokes in the audience.

Nevertheless, I think that the gravity of his actions and his immense talents merit him a fairly high rank in the pantheon of Star Wars force-users. Just how high is the problem.

I figure that Starkiller just simply happens to be one of the strongest Force-sensitives of his time. With respect, I dare say there's no need for any goofy, contrived reason for it about how his training (which we really have nothing which indicates it significantly differs from regular Sith training except it started earlier in life than some) somehow made him a "Force wrecking ball" in a unique way. I also challenge ZN's idea of Starkiller lacking restraint and discipline; the man's loyalty to Vader outlived the betrayal on the Executor.

They way I see it, Starkiller just had the impressive Force potential he had simply because he did. While the fact that both of his parents were Jedi may have had something to do with it, I don't think there needs a special explanation for Starkiller's power, anymore than the likes of Sidious, Bane, Revan, or Exar Kun need one.

Regarding his ability to apparently challenge Vader and Sidious: If Luke, barely trained but using the dark side can defeat his father, then I find it reasonable that Starkiller, who has comparable power potential in addition to years of training could just manage to. Also, Sidious pretty much definitely threw the fight.

Likewise, though, I don't think Starkiller cheapens anyone else in the canon, least of all Luke Skywalker. If anything, he was the equivalent of Skywalker for his time, much like how Revan could be considered the equivalent for his time.

Archived