Home

Whats NOT in The Old Republic...

adamqd

We know what we are getting from The Old Republic, but what aren't we getting?

I assume a lot of people playing this game wont have played an MMO before or at least not from Launch, I knew it wasn't a sandbox, and would be something new, but even I was surprised at some of the things not included (Although many of these may well be implemented after launch as they are kinda of secondary importance Launch wise)

I didn't compile this list, I just found it in the massive amount of Threads on the Official site :)

So far:

• Swimming (1)
  • Third party addons (2)
  • Minigames like Pazaak, Sabac or Holo-chess (3)
  • Dual spec (4)
  • Day/night cycles
  • Non humanoid based playable races
  • Multiplayer space content
  • 3d space combat
  • Choice of space ship chassis
  • Decoration mechanic for personal ships (5)
  • Pod & Swoop racing
  • Player bounties
  • Companions in Warzones (Well tbh I like this one)
  • Animal based pet classes
  • Resources for crafting does not have quality (6)
  • Guild leveling system (cf WAR) (7)
  • Animal mounts (8)
  • Flying mounts (10)
  • Large (20vs20 - or more) multiplayer PvP Warzones (9)
  • PvP Arenas
  • Collision detection between characters
  • [new] Macros (16)
  • Barber / Image Designer (11)
  • Appearance tabs (12)
  • Fishing (13)
  • [new] Guild "Tabard" (14)
  • [new] Multiplayer mounts (15)
  • [new] Racial Abilities

What else (not confirmed):

• Gear Dyes?
  • Planetary housing?
  • Display pets?

==> Finally in <==

• Companions body customization. (Skin color, hair style and more)
  • AC to AC respecs

Refs:

Show spoiler
(hidden content - requires Javascript to show)

(1) [Clicky]

(2) Clicky

(3) Clicky

Clicky

=> Pazaak, Sabac and Holo-chess won't make the launch. Their are pinned on the wall of crazy

though.

(4) Clicky

(5) Clicky

(6) Clicky

=> Item stats will only be based on the schematic. The challenge will be to find the shcematics and then the required components

(7) Clicky

=> War like guild leveling system is on the wall of crazy. Won't make the launch.

(8) Clicky

=> Vehicles at launch. Animal mounts sometime in the future.

(9) Clicky

(10) Clicky

(11) Clicky @ 3:00

(12)

MMORPG.com interview

In short: you're going to wear your equipped gear otherwise he would not say people would refuse players based on their character's look.

(13) Clicky

(14) Clicky

(15) Clicky

(16) Clicky

I think I read in an interview somewhere that player housing would be available... but not entirely sure. I have no source to validate.

The rest I don't really care about... I'm new to MMOs so many of the things you listed aren't anything I'd be missing... and Pazaak was just a waste of time for me during K1 and K2.

We know what we are getting from The Old Republic, but what aren't we getting?

I assume a lot of people playing this game wont have played an MMO before or at least not from Launch, I knew it wasn't a sandbox, and would be something new, but even I was surprised at some of the things not included (Although many of these may well be implemented after launch as they are kinda of secondary importance Launch wise)

I didn't compile this list, I just found it in the massive amount of Threads on the Official site :)

So far:

• Swimming (1)
  • Third party addons (2)
  • Minigames like Pazaak, Sabac or Holo-chess (3)
  • Dual spec (4)
  • Day/night cycles
  • Non humanoid based playable races
  • 3d space combat
  • Pod & Swoop racing
  • Player bounties
  • Companions in Warzones (Well tbh I like this one)
  • Animal based pet classes
  • Resources for crafting does not have quality (6)
  • Animal mounts (8)
  • Flying mounts (10)
  • PvP Arenas
  • [new] Macros (16)
  • Appearance tabs (12)
  • Fishing (13)
  • [new] Guild "Tabard" (14)
  • [new] Multiplayer mounts (15)
  • [new] Racial Abilities

• Gear Dyes?
  • Planetary housing?
  • Display pets?

==> Finally in <==

• Companions body customization. (Skin color, hair style and more)
  • AC to AC respecs

Refs:

Show spoiler
(hidden content - requires Javascript to show)

(1) [Clicky]

(2) Clicky

(3) Clicky

Clicky

=> Pazaak, Sabac and Holo-chess won't make the launch. Their are pinned on the wall of crazy

though.

(4) Clicky

(5) Clicky

(6) Clicky

=> Item stats will only be based on the schematic. The challenge will be to find the shcematics and then the required components

(7) Clicky

=> War like guild leveling system is on the wall of crazy. Won't make the launch.

(8) Clicky

=> Vehicles at launch. Animal mounts sometime in the future.

(9) Clicky

(10) Clicky

(11) Clicky @ 3:00

(12)

MMORPG.com interview

In short: you're going to wear your equipped gear otherwise he would not say people would refuse players based on their character's look.

(13) Clicky

(14) Clicky

(15) Clicky

(16) Clicky

Ironically, all or most of these were included in Star Wars Galaxies.

• 2 weeks later...

At this point it doesn't really matter what's not included since they've probably saved a lot of content for future patches and expansions. World of Warcraft was a vastly different game than it is now when it was first released... so yeah. Stay tuned.

Some of this stuff has been exhaustively discussed on the official forums if you look for it. Many have also had dev responses to. A couple in here I did not comment on, and that is because I can't remember if we have a dev response on or not, even though I know they won't be at launch. Some were so silly I had to comment anyways. Be careful when surfing the official forums to NOT drink the kool aid please. I also ask that you take into account this is not intending to be a personal attack toward anyone here. I do take some freedom in expressing my opinions on some of the topics.

• Swimming (1)
  • Third party addons (2) (Not at launch)
  • Minigames like Pazaak, Sabac or Holo-chess (3) (Not at launch [Though this may change on this one from rumors])
  • Dual spec (4) (Not at launch, but there has been an outcry for this one)
  • Day/night cycles (Not at launch)
  • Non humanoid based playable races (You do realize that non-humanoid means not bipedal and upright right? This one is just dumb...)
  • 3d space combat (Not at launch, and there have been enough complaints we can probably expect a JTL like fix here.)
  • Pod & Swoop racing
  • Player bounties (Why? So BHs again have more content than every other class? I admit, it was fun in SWG, but we all had a second toon for that.)
  • Companions in Warzones (Well tbh I like this one) (Done for balancing reasons)
  • Animal based pet classes (Every class is a pet class... we have companions... Did you really want to play Star Wars to be a bantha herder?)
  • Resources for crafting does not have quality (6) (A lot of beta testers have been raving about the crafting system. There are still critical successes and the chance to reverse engineer items to make them better or find new schematics.)
  • Animal mounts (8) (You do realize that these were usually being used by the indigenous population in every movie, and Ben just grabbed one because he needed it at that moment right? Who would actually choose to ride an animal when speeders are available?)
  • Flying mounts (10) (Um... we have space ships...)
  • PvP Arenas
  • [new] Macros (16)
  • Appearance tabs (12)
  • Fishing (13)
  • [new] Guild "Tabard" (14) (I'm sorry, did Han and Luke where matching outfits and none of us noticed?)
  • [new] Multiplayer mounts (15) (Space ship)
  • [new] Racial Abilities (Game balance issues.)

• Gear Dyes? (Gear will have an option to match chest piece only)
  • Planetary housing? (At launch your ship will be your home. There has been some discussion about guild capital ships though by the devs...)
  • Display pets? (Vanity pets are available [droids mostly])

Most of the stuff not in the game doesn't bother me. A lot of it makes sense not being there.

The only thing that irks me a little is that spaceships aren't customisable. It's going to make for a very boring looking universe with lots of the same ships flying around.

Most of the stuff not in the game doesn't bother me. A lot of it makes sense not being there.

The only thing that irks me a little is that spaceships aren't customisable. It's going to make for a very boring looking universe with lots of the same ships flying around.

On the contrary, I have yet to see anything that suggests there will be multiple player ships in the same scene. It looks like an old arcade game.

On the contrary, I have yet to see anything that suggests there will be multiple player ships in the same scene. It looks like an old arcade game.
So...? Just because you can't see them all at once doesn't mean they aren't all the same.

Archived