Home

Running The Old Republic

MajinMikeyX

Using this site, http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/cyri/ , it told me that I couldn't run TOR on either my desktop or my laptop. I failed the site's test with my laptop because of its CPU, which I'm assuming only failed because it's a mobile CPU, but my Desktop, which is older, passed the CPU, but failed the RAM by .1GB(I plan on upgrading to 4GB soon) and the video card failed as well. Here's a screenshot of the results:

Untitled.jpg?t=1312240971

What I don't understand is that for the video card is that I have more than the required video RAM, and have the required Pixel Shader and Vertex Shader, but I failed? Hopefully that's nothing to worry about and I can just upgrade my RAM to play TOR.

Please, anybody who knows a decent amount about computer hardware, let me know what I need to do to run this game.

It's not that you need more VRAM, it's that you have an older model than what they recommend (that is, a 6150 vs a 7800). The good news is that a new graphics card should be fairly cheap, as I'm pretty sure any one on this page would exceed the requirements.

The gentlemen in the General Tech Discussion forum should be more than happy to help you find something to meet your needs without breaking the bank.

I don't know how compatible they are, since I would have to know the specs of your motherboard and power supply. However, all of those cards are well above the minimum and 4GB is plenty to get you going. As long as the motherboard supports the card, switching between manufacturers is fine.

And seriously, ask the guys in the General Tech forum, they will be much more helpful than I can be. o_Q

In all honesty dont worry, people pay £2000 for a top of the range gaming PC... me? I paid £200 last year for a ready to use gamer from Amazon, next day delivery. Runs Just as good as my friends Alienware. Don't pay for the name.

icanrunit.jpg

Well that's easy to get. As adamqd said, it's not in the name. To be honest, Alienware is like a clothing brand. It's way overpriced, only due to popularity and good look.

They aren't amazing either. I had to get a new desk to fit it on, cause the little bastard's huge. The fans can be quite loud at times and it gets outdated quickly. I can barely run Dragon Age 2 on max settings, and I bought this rig in January, for £1,200 approx.

Get whatever video card was made in the last two or three years, I'm sure you could find one for cheap... or if you have the money, buy the latest high-end one to come out that's gotten really good reviews to future proof yourself a little for other games.

But if you're really not sure, wait till release day to see if stuff works out when you install it... if it doesn't, pop down to some computer store and buy a newer video card and then rush back home to play the game without getting into some kind of accident and getting yourself killed... which would be funny actually lol.

Do you have any recommendations on what to get and where to get it? Or just which video card to upgrade my current computer with?
I'd recommend using your Phone Microwave* to send yourself a text message in the past with betting advice so that you can win lots of money gambling and buy a super-computer.

If for some reason you don't have a Phone Microwave*, you could instead check this list.

*Steins;Gate™

actually I was wrong I brought mine in 2009, so even better lol. I think it was £269 in the sale, the specs are...

Intel Core 2 Quad Q8300 2.5GHz Processor

4GB DDR2 Ram

640GB SATA HDD

512MB nVidia 9800GT Graphics Card

500W PSU

Super Multi DVDRW

Microsoft Windows VISTA Home Premium

Yea try Amazon bud, Clicky

I don't think you really need that big of an upgrade, at least if you're not going to play other, more demanding games. My four-year old laptop passed that test with ease. So yeah, a solid graphics card in the budget range will run TOR with ease. I find Tom's Hardware has some nice articles from time to time, listing the best cards in specific budget ranges.

actually I was wrong I brought mine in 2009, so even better lol. I think it was £269 in the sale, the specs are...

Intel Core 2 Quad Q8300 2.5GHz Processor

4GB DDR2 Ram

640GB SATA HDD

512MB nVidia 9800GT Graphics Card

500W PSU

Super Multi DVDRW

Microsoft Windows VISTA Home Premium

Yea try Amazon bud, Clicky

Aww...they only have those Shinobee's in the UK and not the US. :(

I don't think you really need that big of an upgrade, at least if you're not going to play other, more demanding games. My four-year old laptop passed that test with ease. So yeah, a solid graphics card in the budget range will run TOR with ease. I find Tom's Hardware has some nice articles from time to time, listing the best cards in specific budget ranges.

Yeah I'm also getting help from the General Tech section and hopefully everything works out. And yeah I'm just looking to play TOR really, since I play everything else on console.

Archived