Home

Computer upgrades recommended for TOR?

Okay, so I made a thread in the TOR section which was about my test results for my computer using "Can You Run It?". My computer failed the test. here are the results:

Untitled.jpg?t=1312240971

My RAM failed by .1GB, but I plan on upgrading to 4GB from 2GB soon anyway. What I'm concerned about is the video card. Thanks to Hallucination, he gave This Link.

If anybody could look at the screenshot and visit the link, please give me recommendations of what I should buy or look into. If you need any more info about my PC specs that aren't in the test just let me know. :)

Yeah it's a Compaq Presario from September 2008, so definitely nothing special, even in 2008. Will that video card be compatible with that I have? I think I have DDR2 RAM if that matters at all for video cards. I'm waiting for a sale on RAM so I can upgrade mine from 2GB to 4GB, so would that upgrade along with upgrading my video card to the one you linked to guaranty that I will be able to play TOR smoothly?

EDIT: If all of the above are a Yes, can I get a confirmation on whether to go out and place my order for it or any other suggestions? I'd like to save money on rebate if possible.

2nd EDIT: Do I need to look into getting a new power supply? Or is that only if I'm upgrading my video card to something above today's standards?

That card requires no external power connector, so you won't need to upgrade your power supply. If the minimum requirements are a 7800, then that GT 430 will play the game.

Make sure you jump through all of the hoops for that rebate and make a scan of the completed form and UPC before mailing it.

No. It's the memory bus width. That and the video card's memory type and the speed of that memory determine how fast the GPU communicates with the memory.

Before you buy anything, could you post your Presario's model number? Apparently, it's not as old as I thought, and you might be able to upgrade it to something a lot more powerful (able to play modern games) for not a lot of money. AMD CPUs are cheap.

OK, it looks like your CPU upgrade are limited to CPUs that aren't much better than the one you have, so the best card that you could get that wouldn't be bottlenecked by your CPU is something like a GTS 450 or HD 5770.

So I shouldn't go for the GT 430? Could you maybe give me the link to the GTS 450 and HD 5770, since when it comes to this stuff I'm really unsure about what I'm looking at.

EDIT: Nevermind about giving me the links for examples, I just copied and pasted them in Newegg's search. I assume that both of them are better than the GT 430 because they're almost double the price, right? Could you perhaps give me your best recommendation as to which one I should get?

That GT 430 is cheap, but weak. Yes, you'll be able to play TOR, but my guess is barely. A GTS 450 will cost roughly twice as much, yes, but it will give you roughly double the performance or better, and you might not have to upgrade your power supply since it only draws around 100 watts. They go on sale pretty regularly, so you'd be able to get one for $75-80.

If you play the KotOR games I would stick with Nvidia.

Would this be a good one to get? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121423

I just checked inside my computer and checked my power supply, which is 250w. I also checked for 2 empty slots for the cards power cables and there's 2 empty ones, labeled P3 and P5, both the same size. So The only thing I'm worried about is the power supply.

Would I have to upgrade my power supply or not?

Yeah, you probably would if yours is only 250w, but, if you're patient, you'll be able to get a decent one for less than $20 and the card for around $80.

So, basically, you could get both for the price of the card you linked to above.

Might I remind everyone that I'm trying to sell my gaming computer?

Asking price: $500

2.66GHz Core 2 Quad, Q9450

8GB DDR2 1000 SDRAM

320GB Samsung hard drive

74GB WD Raptor 10,000RPM

ASUS P5N-D SLI Motherboard

GeForce GTX 295, 1.8GB GDDR3 dual-GPU video card

Gigabyte Triton ATX chassis

750W Rosewill power supply

DVD burner

I'd been playing games on it at 2560x1600 at highest settings when I used it, so I assume it'll run TOR... twice at the same time.

That's amazingly cheap for all of that hardware, even if it is a couple of generations old.

You'd likely get a hell of a lot more than $500 if you parted it out. Why the fire sale, if I may ask?

Well I don't really want to sell it piecewise, because then I'll likely sell the RAM and video card and then have a bunch of parts spread out across my room, taking up space. So I'd rather sell the entire machine.

And really, does $500 seem cheap? It's not the newest stuff, and you can built pretty decently for $500 anyway. Oh crap, you're right, I'd been offering this for $650 for awhile, I think I meant to go down to $600, but it's a bit late for me to backpedal on the cheaper offer now that I made it. Haha, oh well.

The reason why I'm selling it is because I build an AMD/ATi equivalent machine cause I got super excited for USB 3.0 ports and SATA 6.0Gb/s stuff. Yeah, my reasoning wasn't the best especially considering I could have gotten PCI-Express cards for both, but I had the money at the time and sort of an addiction for building computers. So yeah. I currently have TWO gaming machines, and only one in use.

• 2 weeks later...

OK, here's a terrific power supply deal for you.

1) Create a Newegg account and sign up for the email newsletter. You will then be able to use the coupon code on the product page.

2) In addition, if you're a new customer (or you're using a new email address to create a new account) you can also use the coupon code "NEWCUSTOMER10" for an additional $10 off. USE THIS CODE FIRST IF YOU QUALIFY.

3) After the mail-in rebate, you'll get this PSU for $20 + postage for the rebate.

Is it a good PSU? Well, it's built by Seasonic (an excellent PSU manufacturer), has 48 amps on the +12v rail (which means it will power an overclocked CPU and ANY video card up to a GTX 580) and it's compact enough to fit in just about any case. It is also very quiet. As a matter of fact, its only drawback is that it doesn't come with a power cord. It's more than what you need, but it's a very cheap, high-quality unit that you'll be able to use later on in a new computer; whatever its power requirements may be.

I'll just put it to you this way: it's been powering my main rig (Core i7 930 @4.1GHz/6GB RAM/GTX 460 @875/1750/1990) for over a year and a half now without a hiccup, and I trust it implicitly. It's a freaking tank.

• 4 months later...

Archived