Home

Fantasy Flight Games Aquires Star Wars License

As the title says, Fantasy Flight (creators of various tabletop games, including the Warhammer and Warhammer 40k RPG's) has been granted permission to make games that use dice for Star Wars.

First things they're doing? A new X-Wing game (it's sort of like the games of yore, but now it'll take hours to resolve a shot!) and a cooperative card game (I don't even know, I guess it'll be like Shadows Over Camelot but with cards and no board).

Company's website is here and the announcement is here.

Thoughts? Feelings? Weird noises from deep within your belly you never knew you could make before?

@Old People: Is the miniature game good enough to meet your desires for a new XWA?

Awesome. Finally someone got it after Wizards finished with it.

I love Fantasy Flight, especially Battlelore, Battles of Westeros, Memoir, Battlestar Galactica, and their 40k RPGs. I wonder if they'll make an RPG, given that Wizards' SAGA edition still has a strong following even after they've stopped supporting it.

Fantasy Flight really know their stuff, so I'm looking forward to seeing how this works out. The only thing I'm concerned about is that sometimes their products are a little pricey.

Would it really be more expensive to produce an X-Wing video game? :(

The real question is, "Wouldn't it be more profitable to release a new X-Wing video game?"

However, if LA recent track record is any indication, we are probably better off with just our memories of the old X-Wing and Tie games.

We all know LucasArts themselves could never make a good X-Wing game... I think LucasArts themselves know they could never make a good X-Wing game.

Perhaps they're trying to find an external developer to make an X-Wing game but can't find one that could do the job...

It's not that SW games quality has dropped (whoa, ha) but it is the one SW game per year rule that has drastically reduced the odds of a game turning out good. If I want more SW games with quality that don't involve Clone Wars or aren't about lousy retcons? Hell yeah, I do.

My interest has been piqued, but I'm more interested that this might mean there's a new RPG in the works. Maybe because I don't want to jump into another war game (GW hates students).

It'd certainly be nice. I've been playing Deathwatch lately, and have generally been impressed by it - the system could work well for Star Wars, but whether it works better overall than SAGA is a different matter.

And GW only hates us because unlike the 13 year old with his mother, we have spending limits (which are sadly buying less for what we pay, it seems.) :(

It'd certainly be nice. I've been playing Deathwatch lately, and have generally been impressed by it - the system could work well for Star Wars, but whether it works better overall than SAGA is a different matter.

From my Dork Hearsay experience I'd say that the combat would have to be even more fast and deadly to be like the SW films, what with getting hit with a blaster being a nearly guaranteed instant kill and getting hit with a lightsabre meaning your arm is now on the other side of the room. Of course that'd probably make the game nigh-unplayable unless all NPC's had stormtrooper training (which is an option).

• 2 weeks later...

I'm intrigued by this. I've been wondering who was going to get the license after WotC. Also, Fantasy Flight does a lot of good things. I'm a fan of WH40K and Talisman, for example.

What I REALLY want however is continued support for SAGA! Ah, well, WotC put out a WHOLE LOT of source material, so I guess I can be satisfied with that.

The real question is, "Wouldn't it be more profitable to release a new X-Wing video game?"
Given some of the fanaticism for some of FF games, maybe not.

However, if LA recent track record is any indication, we are probably better off with just our memories of the old X-Wing and Tie games.
Or dusting them off and playing them!

What I REALLY want however is continued support for SAGA! Ah, well, WotC put out a WHOLE LOT of source material, so I guess I can be satisfied with that.

13 Sourcebooks isn't enough? :p Besides, there's plenty of balanced, fan-made material out there, too.

I'm a bit worried that the X-Wing board game is going to have pre-painted miniatures, though. Or at least I will be if FF use the same company WotC did for some of their Star Wars miniatures.

I'm a bit worried that the X-Wing board game is going to have pre-painted miniatures, though. Or at least I will be if FF use the same company WotC did for some of their Star Wars miniatures.

So you weren't kidding when you said you wanted hot pink and electric blue TIE fighters? :p

Archived