Home

KotOR 2: TSLRCM + Handmaiden for Females - Compatability (Creation or Discovery?)

Amducious

Sorry if this is in the wrong place, I rarely post here, and whilst attempting to follow Forum etiquette there is a chance I've gone wrong somewhere. A quick look for previous posts on the subject failled; and I couldn't find a search function.

I prefer the Handmaiden to the Disciple. However it has come to my attention the Handmaiden mod in question is listed (here) as not compatable with The Sith Lords Restored Content Mod (v 1.7). I've not played through the restored content before, thus am looking forward to it. But, stubborn as I am, I'm trying to have my cake and eat it - instead of playing as a male for the play through, or using the Disciple.

The compatability list states that this is due to the editting of many files by both mods, however when I tried installing the former over the latter; only two files needed 'replacing'. I noted these down, and they were both dialog files - one for Kreia, one for Handmaiden. I looked at the changes listed in the handmaiden's file's readme for the Kreia file. It seemed a small change, so I figured I'd try it myself.

Several downloaded programs, several tutorials read, and a few hours later, I've failed to get anywhere. I can't seem to get the GFF programs to even work properly (user error, I'm certain). The RCMs Kreia.dlg file won't open with the Bioware GFFEditor (which seems the most user friendly), the K-GFFEditor won't seem to work at all, and the KotorTools GFF Editor seems unhelpful in its normal use, and utterly confusing in the text variant. I did manage to edit a single line with the text version, however I can no longer open the file after doing so.

Is there any help to be had, anywhere? Has someone already made the mods compatable, and is willing to send me their version of it, or tell me how? Is it completely impossible (or very very difficult, thus no one has) to get it to work? Have I wasted a portion of my life, never to gotten back, in a futile attempt of idiocy (which I don't mind, its all about the experience, right..)? Any other advice? Is it worth contacting the mod's developers directly?

Help would be greatly appreciated!

All right, I really am not qualified to answer this since I am just about to post my own question regarding a complete char swap-out. But that's ok! I'll give my moronic two cents anyway :) What I would suggest is this: go grab tk's savegame editor if you don't already have it at http://knightsoftheoldrepublic.filefront.com/file/KOTOR_and_TSL_Save_Game_Editor_English_Language_Only;42499 and simply switch your character's gender to male, or both, so you have all the dialogue options if you still would want to be unrestricted with your other chars (Visas, mainly) like I would want to be. I would go check this and it's just an idea, but you might be able to extract handmaiden's .dlg using kotor tools and if her joining the party is contingent upon a simple conditional c_isfemale then you could just delete that, save it, pop it in your override folder and there you go. Also I noticed you said you were trying to edit the .dlg files when you tried using GFFEditor, was it? I've been working with this guy here http://www.starwarsknights.com/tools.php DLGEditor, bout 2/3rds down the page, and it's really simply laid out for editing, and just an aside, if you do decide to do any major editing remember to check Automatically Save Changes under the edit menu, save you the trouble of forgetting and closing (it doesn't ask for a save before you exit) it makes the program a little slower but hey, what's that matter? :thmbup1: If you do decide to just change your gender, or on the off chance that c_isfemale thing works and not do any major dialogue/text editing you will of course be called "he" even when your character is a she. but this is unavoidable unless you go edit and replace all the dialogue spoken about you where your gender is referenced and hunting down all the right lines and changing them textually speaking, which would be a major hasle (albeit one I am indeed undertaking myself, teehee teehee)

Anywho, hope this helped. Let me know if you need anything clarified, it's two in the morning so I'm a lil' groggy, might not have the presence of mind to write a cohesive paragraph at this point :)

That might explain the route of my troubles then! I figured since I wasn't trying to edit the dialogue, only the pathways/its affects (m'thinks, anyway) that the GFFeditor would do the trick. I'm sure it also mentioned in one of the readme's that they format of their edits was listed as pathways the GFFeditor would follow. Ah well, my bad!

Thank you all for the feedback & suggestions! I'll try the editor, see if I have more success with that.

About the gender swapping. If set to both, wouldn't both the Handmaiden + Disciple join? Would this cause problems? I'd considered the idea previously, but figured I'd get annoyed with being called 'he', and it'd somewhat dismantle the immersion.

About the gender swapping. If set to both, wouldn't both the Handmaiden + Disciple join? Would this cause problems? I'd considered the idea previously, but figured I'd get annoyed with being called 'he', and it'd somewhat dismantle the immersion.

I'm not sure about that. But if both were recruited, I'd say there would be a lot of problems... :/

Nah, if gender is set to both one of the two will join, whoever comes first is the logic I would suppose is in place. And since Handmaiden is first to come in the storyline, you'll pick her up. As far as your concern of the disciple down the line, handmaiden and disciple share a swap spot, only one of them can occupy the party slot at any one time so if you show up on dantooine with the handmaiden he'll treat you as a male and relieve you of his bothersome presense :)

(I'm not nearly as sure that there wouldn't be glitches with the dialogue firing properly so I'm going to go check for you real quick, so that I don't end up looking like a moron lol)

Why not just make Disciple a puppet to Handmaiden?

Of course, Varsity Puppet once came up with this idea . . .

Puppets aren't going to be enough to solve this matter.

Well, I mean for each individual mod, this is a workable solution, but what of all the other recruitment mods? This could all get messy very quickly.

I think that an armband should be made to accommodate these types of mods specifically. Not only could you efficiently switch between the vanilla TSL party members, but between custom recruitable characters too.

Whoever could whip up an armband solution should leave it easy for modders to add their recruit-able characters to the armband for ease of changing out characters - like an open source kind of arrangement. (TSLRCM compatibility wouldn't hurt either!)

Archived