Home

Rick Perry

Working Class Hero

Link

So, Texas governor Perry appeared at some ridiculous christian prayer gathering called "The Response."

His speech was so fabricated that it reminded me of Billy Graham. He was obviously pandering to these clueless morons and the incessant amens from the guy next to him were just annoying...I don't really know what else to say besides WTF Texas?

I can’t believe anyone is serious about Perry running for President. Has anyone even looked at the Texas’ debt problems? During Perry’s term as governor Texas Debt has grown from 13.4 Billion to 37.8 billion. Over the same period, the national debt rose 234 percent, while Texas rose 281 percent.

I’d be praying too, because after limiting the Insurance Companies exposure to wind clams along the Texas coast lines by transferring the risk to the state, he better hope that a Category 3 or higher storm does not hit the Houston, Galveston, Brazoria County areas of Texas (highest population areas of the coast) or he can possibility double or triple that number.

Pretty sure they went the way of the dodo bird....
That is what I was saying, when the other side goes so far to one side or the other the middle ground gets shrewed into seeming it is something it is not. Of course as Perry tale points out, most on the far right are only conservative in rhetoric only. Their actions point to them being the thing the gripe the loudest about, over spenders. Only difference from those on the far left is they take from the poor and middle class and give to the corporations.

Just watching from the north and I wonder what's with the radical and religious nutcases everywhere? Where did the moderate and reasonable republicans go?

To the same place where the moderate and reasonable Democrats went.

Really, though, the sooner people figure out that religion has no place in government the sooner politicians will find some other issue to whore themselves out to to get more votes.

^That's what I was thinking, yes.

There is very little difference between politics and organized religion. Both require people to let someone else do their thinking for them and believe stuff that is utter nonsense.

Unless they are not publicized here, I have yet to see an equivalent insanity for a democrat candidate (we do have one here though and I'd bet that if his party was elected, we'd have to grow potatoes in our front yard, collect our water from the rain, walk to work and give at least 80% of our salaries to the state...surely there must be something in between ).

Really, though, the sooner people figure out that religion has no place in government the sooner politicians will find some other issue to whore themselves out to to get more votes.
agreed.

agreed.

Don't hold your breaths though guys, you may turn into.........asari, right before you drop dead. :xp:

Then please explain why it was the republicans refusing to compromise that led to the latest Washingtonian douchbaggery. The last I checked, it was the democrats who conceded to the republicans in order to avoid the deadline.

There is very little difference between politics and organized religion. Both require people to let someone else do their thinking for them and believe stuff that is utter nonsense.

Well said.

Frankly, this whole ginned up crisis (talking about "down to the wire" drama) was completely avoidable. Congress and the Prez knew this was coming up last year and BO and the dems blinked in the end. Last I checked, the dems pulled the wool over the Boehner and company's eyes in the Spring with a bunch of phantom cuts/savings. Would you trust some one who played you for a fool like that (and not for the first time... remember the "read my lips" fiasco or Congress's promise in the 80's to match tax increases with cuts that NEVER materialized). Just a shame it takes this kind of messy gamesmenship and public scrutiny to force the govt to start doing something serious. We've got a spending problem in this country and it's really rather damning that Washington is run by a culture that defines a decrease in a projected rate of increase as an actual cut. :migraine:

Last I checked, the dems pulled the wool over the Boehner and company's eyes in the Spring with a bunch of phantom cuts/savings. Would you trust some one who played you for a fool like that (and not for the first time...
So having hurt feelings justifies threatening default on America simply because they refuse to raise taxes? Get ****ing real.

remember the "read my lips" fiasco or Congress's promise in the 80's to match tax increases with cuts that NEVER materialized).
this is irrelevant

We've got a spending problem in this country and it's really rather damning that Washington is run by a culture that defines a decrease in a projected rate of increase as an actual cut.
Debt economics, the american way. :patriot:

@WCH--actually, hurt feelings is what your side of the aisle is displaying. There was never a danger of default as the govt revenues were high enough to cover interest payments. A giant democrat red herring. :carms: Blaming the tea party specifically, and everyone else in general, for its failure to do something positive about the situation. Seems barack and company feel the need to scapegoat someone else for their epic fails on the economy and in governance in general. Yay, team Obama! :rolleyes: As to your irrelevancy claim, not remotely. You can't reach a real agreement with a side that changes the goalposts after the fact or is just inherently dishonest as a negotiating partner. On top of which, your precious prez wanted a "clean" debt ceiling raise so he could continue the "debt economics" scheme you mock rather than live within his (ie the govts) means. To quote you: Get ****ing real.

A giant democrat red herring.
lulwut, I saw Boehner and Mcconnel playing up the economic armageddon just as much as anyone else.

Blaming the tea party specifically, and everyone else in general, for its failure to do something positive about the situation. Seems barack and company feel the need to scapegoat someone else for their epic fails on the economy and in governance in general. Yay, team Obama!
You really don't see the irony in this paragraph? :indif:

On top of which, your precious prez wanted a "clean" debt ceiling raise so he could continue the "debt economics" scheme you mock rather than live within his (ie the govts) means.
the Democrats are indeed at fault for blindly wanting to continue debt increases, but the Republicans were the main cause in the most recent crisis by refusing to raise taxes under any conditions. And, they seem the only party to be that petulant, as the Democrats are usually willing to compromise in order to find a solution, whereas the Republicans are not. Hell, Boehner said that he got 98% of what he wanted in this last deal,so don't accuse the Dems of being dishonest.

I thought this thread was about Rick Perry? Or is it religious christian extremism? (In which case it should be in the appropriate thread!)

Please let me know if Kavar's corner Bar has turned into a free-for-all.

IMO whatever you do or don't believe about Perry's (cough) alliances, he was part of Al Gore's global warming organization if I am not mistaken. I'm also none too thrilled with Gingrich as I'd like to know why he fell off the map for the past several months, not a move of someone who is serious about running.

Mitt Romney or Ron Paul are the only two I'd be halfway enthused about seriously voting for. Who gives a dead moose's last **** anyways? (That was rhetoric for those of you too dense to read sarcasm.)

There was never a danger of default as the govt revenues were high enough to cover interest payments.
Standard & Poor's assessment notwithstanding. The downgrade has little to do with the amount we owe, but alot to do with congress not being able to put the American peoples business before their own special interest.

Then please explain why it was the republicans refusing to compromise that led to the latest Washingtonian douchbaggery. The last I checked, it was the democrats who conceded to the republicans in order to avoid the deadline.

Last I checked, both parties are equally responsible for the mess we're in because neither has the country's best interests at heart. All they care about is their own special interests and screwing up the other party's agenda at all costs, which gets us nowhere. They both talk a good game, but in the end, it's just talk and it adds up to nothing.

Not that I care. At this point, I'd be delighted if the federal government simply imploded. It's nothing but a bloated, corrupt, cruel joke and it deserves to fail.

Edit: I'm being increasingly annoyed at most of the articles about him crediting him with "Closing the Texas budget crisis"....when in reality he hasn't done that, in fact, he made it worse!
But Perry jobs creation has out-paced the rest of the nation.... That has nothing to do with energy prices and Texas having large reserves of natural gas and oil. It must be Perry subpar management skills.

Edit: Speaking of subpar, I guarantee if Perry is elected, no one will ever question Bush's intelligence again.

Link

So, Texas governor Perry appeared at some ridiculous christian prayer gathering called "The Response."

His speech was so fabricated that it reminded me of Billy Graham. He was obviously pandering to these clueless morons and the incessant amens from the guy next to him were just annoying...I don't really know what else to say besides WTF Texas?

So what if he appeared at a religious conference? It's not like it's the first one he's been to. The only reason it's 'news' is because he's now running for president.

The 'amen' thing is just part of that church's culture. You want noisy commentary during a sermon or talk, you should see the African-American Baptist church my sister goes to in Chicago, along with some of the other 'traditionally black' churches. They're about as left-wing as the church Perry spoke at is right-wing politically, and yet they 'amen' and 'hallelujah!' about 3 times more and 10 times louder than what you saw there with Perry. I'm used to some 'amening' at my church, but we're all sticks in the mud compared to the enthusiasm at my sister's church.

Religious conservatism is not the exclusive domain of the GOP or the right wing. Martin Luther King, Jr. was very conservative in his religious beliefs, but you could not accuse him of being conservative politically. The Revs. Jeremiah Wright and Jesse Jackson are conservative in religious views, but definitely not politically.

92% of Americans believe in God. I can't imagine any candidate of either party that would ignore religious groups. Obama certainly did not during his Senate or Presidential races, and he won't ignore them in the next election. Neither will any of the GOP candidates. Why? It would be foolish to blow off 92% of Americans.

As for Perry running for President--ugh. We hardly need Bush 3.

The only reason it's 'news' is because he's now running for president.
Exactly, it reveals either the depths of his stupidity, or the incredible lengths that he will pretend to be religious in order to gain votes, neither which bodes well for a president.

92% of Americans believe in God.
Certainly not all in the Christian one.

Neither will any of the GOP candidates. Why? It would be foolish to blow off 92% of Americans.
I agree that it would be foolish to ignore these groups, but there's a major difference between mentioning them and joining them.

Archived