Home

Would SW:TOR run properly with the Alienware Area-51 ALX?

Master Finch

NO TRYING TO PERSUADE ME NOT TO BUY IT! I have made up my mind, I'm (hopefully) getting it in a couple of months. So please no criticism.

I asked this question on Yahoo! a few days ago, but I'm going to ask it here, where people probably know a lot about this stuff.

I customised an Alienware Area-51 ALX Desktop computer, and am hopefully buying it soon, but I wondered how well it would play SW:TOR. Whether it would be able to play it at 100+ fps or whether it would break the game if I played it at too low specs. The Alienware's tech specs are:

Processor:

Intel® Core™ i7 Processor 960(3.20GHz,4.8GT/s,8MB)

Video Card:

Dual 4GB GDDR5 AMD® Radeon™ HD6990 CrossFireX™

Hard Drive:

2TB Dual Hard Drive Raid 0 "Stripe" (2x1TB - 7200rpm)

Memory:

6GB 1600MHz (3x2GB) Tri Channel Memory

Monitor:

Alienware OptX™ AW2310 23” 120Hz 3D Capable Full HD Widescreen Monitor - UK

Another addition to the question, how well would the Alienware actually perform out-of-SW:TOR? Would it be able to run like 3 games at once without crashing do you think? I mean, I have an eMachines non-gaming laptop at the moment with Intel Chipseries graphics card thing and it's running 15 fps on WoW and 40 fps if I'm in an empty room with virtually nothing in it, so the Alienware should be beastly, right?

Ta.

~Finch

Regarding the running more than one game, an MMO is server based, so if you have a descent PC, a good internet connection and the server is near where you live you can run a few instances of it (I could run 3 characters in SWG on the euro server and still PVP). a client side game? I have no idea.

This thing will probably run the game at full specs in two instances easily. The real question will be, can we run the game twice at the same time or not.

Machine is a beast. I'm jealous, I recently upgraded to dual 6950s. Not sure how anyone can justify spending $1,600 on two graphics cards though. I couldn't justify the extra $200 for 6970s.

Edit: You sure that is what you put together? I can't find a way to add two 6990s on there for crossfire. Best they had was 6850s.

• 2 weeks later...

No.. That computer is to slow.. It won't even run pong!! What are you nuts??

Donkey Kong runs faster than that thing.. Seriously.. Plus it is a Dell...

Sorry.. I hate Dell.. Dell must die.. AlienWare should have never sold out to them.. Their quality has gone down hill ever since.. Not to mention customer support is non existent unless you threaten them with a law suit.. Even then they may not take you seriously..

I guess my only question is, if you are going to spend the money on Intel, why not spend the money on Nvidia as well?? Just curious on that score.. Radeon's are ok as long as you have good cooling..

I am not trying to talk you out of anything now.. Just saying..

No.. That computer is to slow.. It won't even run pong!! What are you nuts??

Donkey Kong runs faster than that thing.. Seriously.. Plus it is a Dell...

Sorry.. I hate Dell.. Dell must die.. AlienWare should have never sold out to them.. Their quality has gone down hill ever since.. Not to mention customer support is non existent unless you threaten them with a law suit.. Even then they may not take you seriously..

I guess my only question is, if you are going to spend the money on Intel, why not spend the money on Nvidia as well?? Just curious on that score.. Radeon's are ok as long as you have good cooling..

I am not trying to talk you out of anything now.. Just saying..

Um, is there a consumer card better than a 6990 I am unaware of? The things have 4GBs of GDDR5 each...

Interesting, but for some reason I have problems trusting that. So, the 6870s outperform the 6970s and 6990s? Something just doesn't seem right there.

I don't know.. Tom's Hardware is pretty reputable.. I do see what your saying though.. I only linked a single test.. You can click on others to see other results.. But over all the 6990 didn't do as good as you would think.. And 4 gigs seemed to be useless.. Feel free to look at some other independent reviews.. Just becareful, both Nvidia and ATI pay sites to give their products good reviews.. So don't trust everything you see.. As I said before though.. Tom's hardware has always been respected and on the up and up.. Even if the reviews aren't what we would think they should be..

http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=702&Itemid=72&limit=1&limitstart=7

Here is another site where the 6990 doesn't do so hot.. Not bad.. But not as expected either.. There are more results on the side of the page.. Just click the link.. I think the page I linked was for Crysis.. I will only say that Crysis is optimized for Nvidia.. So I wouldn't put to much weight on it.. I would look at 3D Mark 11.. Even there the 6990 OC barely beats out a 6870..

Archived