Home

List of Star Wars Changes (Blu-Ray Editions, 2011)

Kurgan

What is your reaction?  

19 members have voted

1. 1. What is your reaction?

• Hooray, more changes!
    • Lucas, stop already, good enough!
    • Until the theatrical editions come out, I'm just going to ignore this...

I'm one of those who didn't mind puppet Yoda back then, nor do I mind the new digital one now. I would just like that the original theatrical cut would be available as well and/or that they hadn't applied so much DNR on some shots. Still, overall the movie looks great and it's an huge improvement over the DVD with a more detailed, sharp and wider picture (and without that ugly pink tint):

tpmcomparison1.png

tpmcomparison2.png

• 11 months later...

Not much, but a news tidbit: A new set of Blu-Rays is coming out Oct 8th.

Apparently there are four different box sets. It looks like there's nothing really new here except DVD versions of the 2011 Blu-Rays (with no new content, just downsampled from the BD's I'm guessing).

"Steelbook" case versions of the Prequel Trilogy (3 BD's+ 3 DVD's) and Original Trilogy (ditto), and then "normal" versions of each. All of the "Prequel" sets have Yoda on the cover, while the "Original Trilogy" sets bear Darth Vader's likeness.

The BD's I expect are identical to the discs released in 2011. Remember, the only way to get the bonus content (other than the audio tracks) was to get the "Saga" Edition of both trilogies.

Looks like each set runs $40-45 on Amazon. IMHO a pointless release unless you really want to have the 2011 editions in SD.

IMHO a pointless release unless you really want to have the 2011 editions in SD.

It's just Fox cashing in on Star Wars while they can. And since the DVD market is still huge and the previous DVD releases are out of print, I can understand the logic behind this release.

Yeah "out of print" but still available at most places where good DVDs are sold...

The 2011's were never out of print, as up until now the only way you could see them was in Blu-Ray HD. I go to Wal-Mart I still see them charging $80 for the box set and $29.99 for the trilogy sets. I haven't looked to see if they still have the 2008 box sets, but I wouldn't be surprised. Every bargain music/video store has at LEAST one box set of the Star Wars films on the shelf or in the bin.

Funny thing is, I bet somebody will rush out and buy these either naively hoping there is "new content" or just to own yet another cover variation.

Yeah "out of print" but still available at most places where good DVDs are sold...

Yeah, but not the current versions of the movies (as similar as they are to the previous versions).

The 2011's were never out of print, as up until now the only way you could see them was in Blu-Ray HD.

But these are DVD + Blu-ray combos (just DVDs here in Europe). The DVD market is still huge and the previous versions are hard to find on stores.

Funny thing is, I bet somebody will rush out and buy these either naively hoping there is "new content" or just to own yet another cover variation.

If I hadn't bought a Blu-ray player, I would buy at least the PT set for the new TPM transfer. I would probably wait for a price drop though.

• 3 weeks later...
Yeah, but not the current versions of the movies (as similar as they are to the previous versions).

Not sure what you mean there. The 2004 editions can still be found most places DVDs are sold, even if you have to look in the "used" or "bargain bin" sections. The 2006 "bonus discs" are also pretty easy to find once again. Remember, both those versions were last released in 2008 as those "trilogy" box sets and are still the most "current" dvd-only versions.

The 2011 Blu-Rays are still easy to find (having only come out two years ago and are still close to full price at places like wal-mart), so this new set seems pretty pointless, unless you really really wanted to see the latest batch of changes but have no blu-ray capability. I consider the last several editions to be inferior, but whatever. "Collectors" are surely happy whenever a new edition comes out, even if it's just a slightly different looking cover.

But these are DVD + Blu-ray combos (just DVDs here in Europe). The DVD market is still huge and the previous versions are hard to find on stores.

I can only speak for the country I live in, so I'm glad to hear that you can finally have access to a DVD of Star Wars, even if it's ruined. (does that sound bitter and cynical enough? j/k)

Blu-Ray market share is just below 27% of the U.S. (nearly 6.5 years after the format's debut). They're probably even inflating those figures since the latest trend has been forcing consumers to buy the blu-ray version of a movie in the same package as the DVD.

If I hadn't bought a Blu-ray player, I would buy at least the PT set for the new TPM transfer. I would probably wait for a price drop though.

The way I see it, the only one that's really decent on the Prequel set is Episode III. Episode II is blue and TPM looks somewhat better in places, but now has some unnecessary changes and doesn't look nearly as good as it should have on the format (but we can't have it looking better than episode 2 & 3 now can we?).

I see them hurting themselves more by flooding the market with sub-standard and recycled Star Wars merchandise, the same problem LucasFilm and its sub-companies had for years, which is what is surely what lead in large part to the franchise being sold to Disney. I've just never lived in one of these places where the stores only stock the latest and most popular editions of movies then clear them out in favor of the next hot thing.

Yeah, I agree, it's a blatant cash-in. That trick will always work on the hardcore collectors. I just wonder if they'll consider it worth the expense in the long run. Not that I like how Disney treats their hardcore fans either, but we'll see what happens.

As for the price thing, it's an old trick... when the price drops on the old edition, release a "new and improved" edition that's identical to the old one, but costs more. Other than fooling naive casual fans who don't use the internet and the usual folks who buy everything just to own everything, this just seems silly. I'll buy the cheaper option that has the same (or better) content every time.

Not sure what you mean there.

I mean the 2011 cuts of the movies (additions/fixes/etc) which although similar are still different from the 2004 versions.

unless you really really wanted to see the latest batch of changes but have no blu-ray capability.

That's what I meant. But I'm not speaking for myself though. I already have the Blu-rays.

I can only speak for the country I live in, so I'm glad to hear that you can finally have access to a DVD of Star Wars,

I have access to them, but I'm not everyone and can't speak as such. All I'm saying is that:

- The 2004/2008 versions are out of print, and thus not available everywhere.

- Even if they were, they are not the 2011 versions.

- Not everyone has a Blu-ray player (again, not my case).

- The DVD market is still profitable enough to justify this release of the 2011 versions.

Blu-Ray market share is just below 27% of the U.S. (nearly 6.5 years after the format's debut).

Exactly. And worldwide it's probably the same or lower. A DVD release only makes sense.

The way I see it, the only one that's really decent on the Prequel set is Episode III. Episode II is blue and TPM looks somewhat better in places, but now has some unnecessary changes and doesn't look nearly as good as it should have on the format (but we can't have it looking better than episode 2 & 3 now can we?).

I agree, except in the case of TPM. It could have been better (e.g: no DNR whatsoever), but is still an huge improvement over the DVD release and worth the upgrade. I can also say that I'm pleased with the changes they made. Finally the movie is not cropped anymore, it's colour corrected (no pink filter like in the DVD release) and although I never had a problem with the puppet, I'm glad we got digital Yoda on the film. The DNR should even be less noticeable on this DVD release.

Ironically enough, since TPM was shot on film it had the possibility to look much better than Episodes II and III due to the higher resolution/detail.

That's something I'm curious about...

how do the "new" Dvd's of the prequels look?

Does Episode II now have inexplicable blue tints throughout? I presume Episode I has CG Yoda and the reframed image, Episode III would just have one screen transition different.

I can understand if we're talking about casual fans who only care if they have the "cleanest" looking picture (digital video shot yesterday, rather than a preservation of films on celluloid shot decades ago). Then this release makes a little bit of sense, as at least the OT would look better than the 2004 editions (even if the new changes are potentially even more offensive than those earlier "special" editions).

I have no need for this release, but just so long as people know what they're getting into...

That's something I'm curious about...

how do the "new" Dvd's of the prequels look?

Does Episode II now have inexplicable blue tints throughout? I presume Episode I has CG Yoda and the reframed image, Episode III would just have one screen transition different.

From what I gather it's the exact same version as the Blu-ray release, menus and all. It should have higher bitrate when compared to the previous DVDs since it's more recent and doesn't have the audio commentaries.

Why would it being more recent mean it had better bitrates? Until I see evidence of that I'd be skeptical. After the debacle with the 2004 editions and now with the problems with the blu-rays I won't take any of that for granted when it comes to quality.

The only thing I'm willing to bet money on is that the 2013 dvds are the same "cuts" as the 2011 bd's.

From what I've read about the audio commentaries, the "new" commentary is simply audio spliced together from old interviews and specials. That's a nice idea of course, but I'm curious what (if anything) they stripped out of the DVDs to make room for that additional track.

Incidentally I'm a bit surprised that the "bonus discs" for the 2011 set are actual blu-ray discs, not DVD9's, even though the visual quality looks like dvd.

Why would it being more recent mean it had better bitrates?

The process of creating a DVD master 10 years ago was not as efficient as one created nowadays. I'm not saying it's the case here, but it's a valid assumption since many other titles have benefitted from that.

The only thing I'm willing to bet money on is that the 2013 dvds are the same "cuts" as the 2011 bd's.

They are.

From what I've read about the audio commentaries, the "new" commentary is simply audio spliced together from old interviews and specials. That's a nice idea of course, but I'm curious what (if anything) they stripped out of the DVDs to make room for that additional track.

Nothing was taken from the old DVD commentaries on the new commentary tracks. The ones from the DVDs were with Lucas and crew, while the latter is mostly archival interviews with the cast.

Incidentally I'm a bit surprised that the "bonus discs" for the 2011 set are actual blu-ray discs, not DVD9's, even though the visual quality looks like dvd.

Sometimes even VHS/LaserDisc, but that's due to the quality of the source.

Yeah, some of it is my cynical side (not without reason) here, that I don't assume a new release is an improvement over a past release, especially if they it isn't mentioned in the marketing material. Some fans always assume there is something "better" hidden in there and then complain when it's identical (or worse) than before.

Archived