Home

Island for sale

Darth Avlectus

Article:

http://realestate.yahoo.com/promo/billionaire-seeks-to-unload-a-private-island.html

Try telling billionaires the U.S. housing market is in the dumps. Many of the world’s richest have eagerly been snapping up lavish properties from coast to coast this year. Venture capitalist Yuri Milner broke price records with his $100 million Silicon Valley home purchase, Formula One heiress Petra Ecclestone shelled out $85 million on Los Angeles’ Spelling Manor, and industrialist scion Alexander Rovt rescued Manhattan’s Henry T. Sloane Mansion out of foreclosure for $33 million, to name but a few. Even Mark Zuckerberg became a homeowner. But while many billionaires have been busily buying up real estate, one is actually selling.

Paul Allen, the Microsoft co-founder that ranks 57th on the Forbes World’s Billionaires list with $13 billion, is offloading his private island. Allan Island, situated near Anacortes, Wash., is back on the market and at a reduced price, reports the Seattle Post-Intelligencer and Realtor.com. Allan Island has bounced on and off the sale block since 2005, when its initial price tag was $25 million. It took a $5.5 million price chop in 2006 before re-emerging with the current $13.5 million asking price. Windmere Real Estate has the listing. Allen bought the island in 1992, reportedly to build a vacation home, before snatching up the Sperry Peninsula site on nearby Lopez Island in 1996 and abandoning his original plans.

Read more in the link.

Well? Impressions?

I'd love to have my own island. I think I'd attempt to breed all black squirrels in concentration, and I'd have a bunch of military turrets, some helicopters, a few Bars. And 50,000 metric tons of monkey doodie with a trebuchet tank and the monkey army.

Oh wait, I can't afford that.

You know, until now I though owning an island was just a TV stereotype. Mind-blowing stuff. :D

As for the current price tag, it's less than I'd expect but still way more I'd ever be able to afford. And I really wanted an island. As dirty as my mind is, I'd probably fill it with hawt babes in skimpy outfits and other weirder stuff. Like secret genetic engineering/cloning labs that would bring to life my latest wet dreams. :naughty:

You know, if something were to go terribly wrong in that environment, I'd get even richer selling the movie and video game rights.

I'd never buy it. Imagine the work of owning your own island? Mowing the lawn of your miles-long backyard would take an entire week and, by the time you're done, it will have started to grow again. What about getting supplied with food and electricity? A storm might be enough to cut you out of both and if something breaks or malfunctions getting the right service would take ages. Going to the city would also be bothersome; assuming you don't have an helicopter, you'd have to use a boat or yacht to reach mainland and then get another vehicle, every damn time. On the positive side, no neighbours, but even so.

I'd never buy it. Imagine the work of owning your own island? Mowing the lawn of your miles-long backyard would take an entire week and, by the time you're done, it will have started to grow again. What about getting supplied with food and electricity? A storm might be enough to cut you out of both and if something breaks or malfunctions getting the right service would take ages. Going to the city would also be bothersome; assuming you don't have an helicopter, you'd have to use a boat or yacht to reach mainland and then get another vehicle, every damn time. On the positive side, no neighbours, but even so.

I wasn't at all certain of how serious you were being here, but I actually agree.

Looking through that web site you end up asking yourself "why the hell do I want an island in the first place?" considering the urk locations... and even if they were in good locations, like in tropical areas, there's too high a risk of tropical cyclones and rough seas screwing things up for you.

Also, this reminds me of the times I restarted Animal Crossing when first setting it up just so I could get my house on a small island...

Looking through that web site you end up asking yourself "why the hell do I want an island in the first place?" considering the urk locations... and even if they were in good locations, like in tropical areas, there's too high a risk of tropical cyclones and rough seas screwing things up for you.
This is precisely the reason I want a slightly larger island….

Australia_satellite_plane_small.jpg

Lynk consider this your 30 day notice.

Even if I could afford a private island, buying one would be a bad idea. After buying one, I'd probably turn into a Bond villain, and I'd definitely get a big statue of a hand reaching out to grab the globe, a la Deus Ex.

That just can't be healthy.

Well in that case, you'll be needing this link too ;)

http://www.hardenedstructures.com/index.html

I'm partial to the Genesis series that have living pods and dome additions.

http://www.hardenedstructures.com/genesisseries.html

Gotta have some place to stash the minions when they're not carrying out my plans for World Domination >.>

Well in that case, you'll be needing this link too ;)

http://www.hardenedstructures.com/index.html

The funny thing is I visited that site a few years ago when I decided it would be fun to calculate an approximate cost for becoming a respectable supervillain (Though last time, I didn't see the page where they offer to help build island fortresses). I don't remember the exact number, but it was out of my price range. And while being a less stylish, non-super villain is cheaper, it just isn't appealing.

Megamind summed it up best:

Show spoiler
(hidden content - requires Javascript to show)
(This BBCode requires its accompanying plugin to work properly.)

Archived