Home

What we love about the prequel trilogy

Lynk Former

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, when Ki-Adi turned around and realised that he was about to be betrayed...

Though the only thing about the Jedi purge that annoys me is how easily some of the Jedi were killed off. I expected a lot more lasers from a lot more directions to take Ki-Adi out and he could've at least deflected some of them.

This one is going to sound strange but...

The Jedi Purge

The moment of Order 66 was a very powerful moment only made more so by the music that played as each Jedi died and Yoda felt the tremors in the Force. When you see it happening you know this is truly the end of an era.. it's a sad moment, I literally had a single tear stream down my face in the cinema when I saw it the first time just at the sheer betrayal of the Jedi the Clone Troopers fought along side for all those years.

I especially found Cody's execution of Order 66 to be very brutal. One moment he's talking to Kenobi, the next he's ordering Kenobi's death with a wave of his hand. That and Ki-Adi-Mundi's death stood out in the Purge scene, in my opinion.

Yep. Ep3 was full of gut-wrenching. It was a grown up movie, as was Ep5. Maybe the best two of the 6. (Did I really just say that?!?!!!!!)

As others have noted, the epic saber duels. Being something of scholar warrior, the athleticism of the PT was so much more in line for what I think we all expect from Jedi.

There are a good many things that I like about the prequels, but my favorite is Obi-Wan using a blaster to kill General Grievous and then his line afterwards. It took me back to Alec Guinness line in A New Hope.

Not as clumsy or as random as a blaster' date=' but an elegant weapon for a more civilized age. [/quote']

"So uncivilized."

Killing younglings

That one kid who asks what's going on... when Vader ignites his lightsaber that kid takes a half-step back... that kid made that entire moment with that move, not knowing what his master intended but still looking so trusting... and then having that moment where the Force was probably telling him he was in danger but he was too young to act on it.

The Emperor revealed

After the Knighting of Darth Vader... which in itself is an awesome scene that sends chills down your spine... but when Palpatine pulls over the hood and you see him for the first time, his mask taken off and his true face revealed... that was one hell of a moment.

Threepio's lost memories

That one line uttered by Bail Organa at the end of RotS telling Captain Antilles to wipe Threepio's memory... brilliant XD It was a great funny moment but also a profound moment that connected Ep4 with 5 in that it reveals very clearly why Threepio acts the way he does in ANH and why Artoo acts the way he does. Artoo knows Tatooine, who Obi-wan is, the grander mission beyond delivering the plans to the Rebellion... while Threepio has just heard tales from Artoo about adventures they had before his memory wipe and has no idea what's going on lol.

Subtle changes the PT causes in the OT

The changes I'm talking about aren't the DVD changes like Hayden at the end of Jedi... I'm talking about the more subtle changes the PT had where nothing was changed, but your knowledge of the PT change the meaning of some of the things in the OT.

For example, when Obi-wan looks at Artoo and says "I don't remember ever owning a droid... very interesting". Before the PT it's simply a curious conundrum of why this strange droid is even looking for him and is solved moments later when Leia's message is played. After the PT it became a scene where Obi-wan recognises Artoo and realises that it's time to enact the plans that he, Yoda and Bail Organa set up all those years ago.

Obi-Wan vs. Maul. A thirty-second diamond buried in a two-hour turd.

Palpatine, before GL assassinated his character in Ep. III.

And, of course:

YOU'LLNOTTAKEHERFROMME!!!!1!11!11one

Can't think of anything else offhand. Sorry. :giveup:

Ok, so John Williams' work has taken a bit of a dive in quality over the last 15 years

That's a bit of an understatement. :p

The TPM duel with Darth Maul and Qui-Gon/Obi-Wan. It's been the only lightsaber duel in all of the movies where I thought seriously "Oh, crap, the 2 Jedi just might lose this one", because Ray Park is such a phenomenal martial artist. Seeing Yoda kick butt in multiple duels and actually survive Order 66 was also win.

Couldn't agree more:thmbup1:

Plus the soundtrack for me, Duel of the Fates is legendary!

Yeah, when Ki-Adi turned around and realised that he was about to be betrayed...

Though the only thing about the Jedi purge that annoys me is how easily some of the Jedi were killed off. I expected a lot more lasers from a lot more directions to take Ki-Adi out and he could've at least deflected some of them.

Especially when you watch the Clone Wars tv series and all these Jedi are Godlike in their fighting abilities.

• 2 weeks later...
That one kid in that scene who had the lines was brilliant, the way he half flinched the moment Vader ignites his lightsaber made that entire scene.

That was rather poignant. The fight scene with Maul was probably the best part of TPM. The action scenes with the clone troopers and when you see them boarding the ships on Kamino for the first time for AotC. The aforementioned Order 66 scenes and Palpatine in general for RotS.

Call me crazy, but one of my favorite parts of the trilogy is the scene where Anakin is arguing with Obi-Wan in the gunship after Padme falls out of it. It just really like the dialogue, and in particular Hayden's performance in that particular scene; it comes off as one of the disappointingly scarce times in the films when it [the performance] shows us exactly what the character is feeling.

Always thought the Jedis went down like pussies though, even with the element of surprise...
Actually, I think that was excellent. To me it really showed that the Jedi are not omnipotent superheros, and can still be defeated by simple numbers. I think that is a point definitely worth showing, and something that the EU totally lacks in most Jedi portrayals. Revan fandom being a part of that.

That one kid in that scene who had the lines was brilliant, the way he half flinched the moment Vader ignites his lightsaber made that entire scene.
I remember when I saw it in theatres with my wife she was whispering "no no no no no no no no".

I also love the scene with Palpatine and Anakin at the opera. Just the way Palpatine plays Anakin, and how he immediately takes advantage of the little bits of info Anakin lets drop. And most of all the delivery of the line:

"It's ironic. He could prevent other people from dying, but not himself."

Brilliant.

Qui-Gon Jinn

The equivalent of Alec Guiness' Ben Kenobi of the PT, only better. A true (charismatic) Jedi in his prime.

NOOOOO! Don't you dare to say Qui-Gon is better than Alec Guiness!

I'm far to lazy to add something on my own, I'd be repeating someone anyway.

Always thought the Jedis went down like pussies though, even with the element of surprise...

It was more than mere surprise. In my opinion it had more to do with being betrayed by comrade-in-arms than merely the element of surprise. They fought, bleed and died with the Clones all during the Clone Wars. They had come to trust the clones implicitly. If the clones were covering the Jedi’s backs, the Jedi were only worried about the enemy to their front.

I dont know if you've seen the Bluray extras for ROTS TKA, but there are several more minutes of cut footage of that part, and its even better than what made it in to the final cut IMO :) But I agree that is a really cool part and shows the kind of friendship alluded to in Ben's hut 19 years later.

Archived