Home

What we love about the prequel trilogy

Lynk Former

Jar Jar is actually a character I never had a problem with. His scenes may not be on the right places, but I think the fault is on the editing and not on the character itself. Same with C-3PO on the OT.

Indeed, the fault is on the editing; the problem was not the character itself but the fact that he was not edited out of the movies.

Decent troll there though. :thmbup1:

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I dont hate Jar jar completely, I just have this very vivid memory of seeing TPM in 99 when Qui-gonn and Obi-wan meet up in the Naboo forest, they had their lightsabers drawn, they were blowing up the bad guy's speeder bikes and I was like "OMG its like ROTJ on Endor! Star Wars is back!!" then I was suddenly pulled out of it by some 6ft 8' fish/frog/man shouting "Exsqueeeze Me"... :(

C3P0 = being too smart and too sheltered for your own good is funny.

Jar Jar = being too stupid and too outgoing for your own good is funny.

At least that's what I think the idea was behind the two characters. Out of the two characters I can safely say that I find it a lot easier to laugh at the smart person going through misfortune than the stupid one...

On the other hand Artoo was the forgotten hero of the movies who saved the other heroes lives time after time but was never properly thanked by any of them.

On the other hand Artoo was the forgotten hero of the movies who saved the other heroes lives time after time but was never properly thanked by any of them.
Queen Padme Amidala herself broke out the toothbrush to clean Artoo of all of his carbon scoring after the Naboo Blockade Breakout... That is at least some display of appreciation.

Otherwise though, I agree with you on R2... never got a memory wipe, knew all the players in the OT better than they knew themselves... The true Jedi master if there was one.

The biggest problem with Jar Jar is that there was no character progression and he didn't become more competent by the end of the film.

He did not have a significant enough role in the overall story to warrant the way the character played out, in my opinion. Too goofy, too campy not enough substance to an otherwise solid cast. Such blatant pandering to little kids in the prequels ruined their quality.

Favorite moments are most of EP1 highlighting of course the duel at the end and also Queen Amidala/Padme as a character worthy in my opinion of respect in her place within the Star Wars Cast; Kamino scenes in EP2, and end of Anakin/Obi-Wan duel in EP3 when Anakin catches on fire. In particular I'd say the fleshing out of the Sidious/Palpatine role in all three movies was fairly well portrayed.

For me.. the PT hit on the relationship between Obi-Wan and Anakin. Something just hinted at in the OT, but PT I thought really hit home.

Was hoping to get see more of that relationship and how they would wind up answering the OT's ANH dialogue.

Luke: How did my father die?

Obi-Wan: A young Jedi named Darth Vader, who was a pupil of mine until he turned to evil, helped the Empire hunt down and destroy the Jedi knights. He betrayed and murdered your father. Now the Jedi are all but extinct. Vader was seduced by the dark side of the Force.

and of course, how it translated to ESB's Vader Revelation.

I thought the PT did a good job on showing the mentoring/comradery between Obi and Anakin.. with the humor quips added as icing on the cake. Always enjoyed the scenes when Obi/Ani exchanged dialogue, and thought it illustrated the deep bond they shared and the tragic consequences of the betrayal afterwards, due to the Council constantly denying Anakin and the Emperor's coercion of those decisions to lure (the naive) Anakin to his side.

In an afterthought, and I'll probably catch hell for it :xp: but I thought the PT did such a good job with it, that when they were re-united in ANH.. it was a little dis-servicing to the relationship (hindsight though is a double edged sword). The scene seems a little more dry after the events we saw in the PT.

The re-uniting (ANH) is one of the few scenes I thought could actually be improved upon given what we know now about their relationship (now). Probably one of the few changes I'd actually have welcomed had Lucas decided to "special addition" that portion. Though without Alec Guinness (RIP :( ) that too would be dbag move to add/alter now.

oh! and of course, R2D2 is much more of a badass :lol:

For me.. the PT hit on the relationship between Obi-Wan and Anakin. Something just hinted at in the OT, but PT I thought really hit home.
That's interesting, because I feel that is something that to some degree the PT could have done better. Really it was mostly ROTS that gave us a view of their relationship as hinted at in the OT. TPM basically just showed us how they met, and AOTC showed the strain and distance between them. That is one of the things I think TCW brings to the table. You really see them in a more equal footing with a close bond. I wish more of that had been captured in the films.

That's interesting, because I feel that is something that to some degree the PT could have done better. Really it was mostly ROTS that gave us a view of their relationship as hinted at in the OT. TPM basically just showed us how they met, and AOTC showed the strain and distance between them.

True, always room for improvement. But it was at least a progression moreso than the passing scene(s) in the OTs. Granted it took 3 films to get the message across.. hehe, but we see the development of the relationship in each film. It succeeded enough so that the general audience can fill in the blanks about the relationship and bond they form between movies.

That is one of the things I think TCW brings to the table. You really see them in a more equal footing with a close bond. I wish more of that had been captured in the films.

Couldn't agree with you more :D One of the reasons why I think people should give TCW a second look (at least the later episodes).

But that kinda falls in the same boat as the double edged sword I mentioned earlier. If TCW had aired before (or during) the PT so much more could have been captured.

Sure the PT is dry comparatively with the introduction of TCW, but the PT on it's own (sans TCW background) I thought managed to get the relationship across without too many people wondering "wait.. what?"

However yeah, I'm with you on the "wish they would've captured more" in the PT. Damned hindsight.. hehehe

Archived