Home

Adventure Game Masters Dissertation

scobymaguire

Hi there,

Back in 2008 I wrote a 45-page Masters dissertation on the cultural, market and technological factors that shaped the rise and fall (and the then impending resurrection) of Adventure Games. I submitted it, finished the Masters and promptly forgot all about it.

I found the file again today and thought I'd stick it up online. It's not the most thoroughly-researched dissertation ever, but, considering the time constraints of the Masters course, it's alright. As a long-time adventure game fan, I enjoyed writing it. I enjoyed the research part, which involved replaying some of the classics and ploughing through a ton of old Amiga magazines from the early '90s.

I also enjoyed reading the Conclusion from today's perspective, as it reminded me of the excitement I felt in 2008 at the possibility of adventure games making a successful comeback with Telltale et al. Whether that comeback was as successful as I'd hoped is debatable, but the Conclusion still acts as a nice time-capsule of how I felt at the time.

You can read it here (if you care to ignore the fairly clunky title):

The Genre that Mouse Built? How Culture, Markets and Technology Shaped the Rise, Fall and Resurrection of 'Point and Click' Adventure Games

I probably won't revisit it as it's been three years since I finished it, but I'm nevertheless interested in your opinions (and in any factual errors, which I might go back and correct). I'm particularly interested in hearing what the Mixnmojo community thinks as it's very Lucas Arts-heavy, plus some Mixnmojo members get a mention in it!

Anyway, it's nice to get it up online and out of my system. Enjoy!

- Scobymaguire

Archived