Home

Grim Fandango Fan Game

jermy721

So theres a lot of Monkey Island and Maniac Mansion fan games being made ( and a sam and max one currently in production) But No fan games for Grim Fandango. So i thought lets do it! Lets gather together all of you brilliantly talented people and make it happen. We need story writers , Artists, voice actors, programmers, animators and just about anything else you can think of. So if interested please reply

Interested but not optimistic. What are you aiming for exactly? A remake? A sequel? What is you story idea? Are you planing to do it in 3D or 2D? What do you bring to the table?

I think you need to flesh out your concept a bit more if you want to attract anyone willing to contribute to your project.

So theres a lot of Monkey Island and Maniac Mansion fan games being made ( and a sam and max one currently in production) But No fan games for Grim Fandango. So i thought lets do it! Lets gather together all of you brilliantly talented people and make it happen. We need story writers , Artists, voice actors, programmers, animators and just about anything else you can think of. So if interested please reply

i would be willing to throw my "talent" in to help. though i have yet to play Grimm :confused:

^ I don't know if that will work. That seems to complicated for the average programmers to do. We usually use ags when we make these games and i don't know if that kind of style will work

It's not about programming, it's about graphic. Instead of CurseOfMI style, I was suggesting something like this. Just to be more close to the originale game concept.

Some idea for the story.

In the original Grim, Manny makes a four-year travel just for saving a woman and pay off a debt. Hector is dead, the corruption is over (?) and maybe there is no more need of the Lost Souls Alliance. BUT:

1- A new young man comes to the land. He doesn' want to go to the next level but just to enojoy his stay among the dead and make a profit, resumin the falling criminal organization. Until something makes him change is mind.

2- Hector is dead, but there are still lots of lost soul out there. Some of them still walking the land, some of there still imprisoned somewhere. One of this prisoner guides the others to freedom.

3- Strange nights in Rubacava, one man was found sprouted under mysterious circumstances. A young (but dead) detective must find the truth, among corrupt police and flashing nightclubs, he will find the purpose of his non-life.

Whom would you rather want to be the protagonist: a secondary character from the first game or a totally new one?

Totally new main character and villain. Secondary characters can appear but i don't want them to be a big part. I want as original as possible

I think if this project is going to take off you need to define what exactly the game is going to be about and who will be doing what. You're clearly decided to take the reigns as the project leader, but project leaders typically take a very hands-on role when it comes to indie games. Are you going to be writing the story, programming, or what? Because if you're not writing the story I think you need to hold off on determining what and who will feature in the story because that's the writer's job.

Or to put it another way: if you're going to be an armchair project leader who expects a team to create his ideal game without doing anything himself this project won't get anywhere, and projects like this almost never work out unless things are planned properly from the outset rather than basically making it up as the project goes along — that I can tell you from experience.

Also, release episodically. Keeps team motivation up, keeps fans interested, and gives you more than one chance to hit the headlines. ;)

I think if this project is going to take off you need to define what exactly the game is going to be about and who will be doing what. You're clearly decided to take the reigns as the project leader, but project leaders typically take a very hands-on role when it comes to indie games. Are you going to be writing the story, programming, or what? Because if you're not writing the story I think you need to hold off on determining what and who will feature in the story because that's the writer's job.

Or to put it another way: if you're going to be an armchair project leader who expects a team to create his ideal game without doing anything himself this project won't get anywhere, and projects like this almost never work out unless things are planned properly from the outset rather than basically making it up as the project goes along — that I can tell you from experience.

Also, release episodically. Keeps team motivation up, keeps fans interested, and gives you more than one chance to hit the headlines. ;)

This is absolutely right. Things like these needs planning. We can do a brainstorming all together for the main plot and storyline and other ideas, but then we need to split the work.

I agree with both Gos and Thrik. I think the plot should revolve around some sort of detective/supernatural mystery, perhaps involving mafia as well. I suppose Glottis should certainly be in the game (he's way too cool to forget about him), perhaps as a piano player in the bar.

• 1 month later...

I'd like to help with the story!

And since I'm helping with the GFDelux Project to remodel and rerender the 3D backgrounds, I may be able to help with that as well. Especially if I get to learn 3D charachter modelling/sculpting.

A good question to ask is, Whether it's best for the fan-game to has a hero and antagonist similar to the usual TimSchafer character type [A guy who loves the new tech (bad) and the guy who loves the old tech (good). See Trenched, Full Throttle, ...] or should it have a totally different story style.

I'm for taking a different story style. I say let's take the surreal mood and atmosphere of the game and add some dark-humor a la Terry Gilliam (Brazil) or Coen Brothers (Barton Fink/Fargo/TheBigLebowski).

I think a good approach for creating the story is to take GF's world and mix it with a classic story/fable and expand/brain-storm on that idea till we reach somewhere.

@N3mo: I love your style! It's like a hybrid of Saul Bass and the classic Pink Panther toons + Mif2000 [mif2000.blogspot.com] [gameletgame.blogspot.com]. I'm gonna follow your blog. Why don't you post your art and design on DeviantArt?

...since I'm helping with the GFDelux Project

Good luck with that! And if there is a little something I can do for it, PM me!

A good question to ask is, Whether it's best for the fan-game to has a hero and antagonist similar to the usual TimSchafer character type [A guy who loves the new tech (bad) and the guy who loves the old tech (good). See Trenched, Full Throttle, ...] or should it have a totally different story style.

I'm for taking a different story style. I say let's take the surreal mood and atmosphere of the game and add some dark-humor a la Terry Gilliam (Brazil) or Coen Brothers (Barton Fink/Fargo/TheBigLebowski).

I think a good approach for creating the story is to take GF's world and mix it with a classic story/fable and expand/brain-storm on that idea till we reach somewhere.

These are great ideas, and I would see a GF fan game absolutely like that. But I think that the project here is dead (well, never born, actually).

@N3mo: I love your style! It's like a hybrid of Saul Bass and the classic Pink Panther toons + Mif2000 [mif2000.blogspot.com] [gameletgame.blogspot.com]. I'm gonna follow your blog. Why don't you post your art and design on DeviantArt?

Thank you very much, you are so kind! And thank you for linking that artist, it's great inspiration. I'm here anyway, I'm going to post some Grim Fandango poster in the near future! :)

Archived