Home

TOR Release Dates, Subscription Fees Announced

News

?This is an incredible moment for everyone at BioWare and our partners at LucasArts who have dedicated their lives to build this extraordinary game. We appreciate the patience from the millions of fans who have been waiting for the game?s release.? Announced in a keynote address by Dr. Ray Muzyka and Dr. Greg Zeschuk at [...]

Read the full story at starwarsmmo.net...

TL;DR

BioWare and LucasArts are pleased to announce that Star Wars™: The Old Republic™ will launch on December 20, 2011 in North America and on December 22, 2011

Each copy of Star Wars: The Old Republic will come with 30 days of subscription time, after which you have the option to continue playing with one of the following monthly subscription fees:

1 Month Subscription: $14.99 (£8.99/€12.99)

3 Month Subscription: $13.99 per month (one-time charge of $41.97/£25.17/€35.97)

6 Month Subscription: $12.99 per month (one-time charge of $77.94/£46.14/€65.94)

I think it's a smart move actually... they seem to be really worried about overwhelming the system with the initial shock of players jumping in all at once, however with Christmas right there it's going to stop a lot of people from playing right away which means only the most hardcore (and therefore less social irl lol) players are going to go straight in.

Truth be said... I'm ready to say "to hell with real life" just so I can play TOR as much as I can. I know what my priorities are :carms:

Good thing, it's a SOLID release date.

Not so good, I think it's terrible timing. Although some ppl may be out of school and able to play, others have tp prepare for exams. For many adults, it's a much too busy a time of year (shopping, cooking, family & friend visits etc...) For the younger ones, an MMO game/subscription may not be something on their parents wish list. Should their be any technical difficulties or need of customer service - hopefully, they will have sufficient staff during this time. Those who are going to get the game have known for a long time and a Christmas release date isn't going to bring in additional sales. IMO, I would have made the release date Oct/Nov.

They're going for a slow burn on this and doing as much as they can to limit the amount of people coming online at the same time... they've made that much clear.

Plus this is an MMO which LucasArts, BioWare and EA are investing for the long term which means that trying to break an initial release day sales record isn't what they're aiming for... they just want the game to work lol.

Clever thinking on the release date Lynk. Won't stop people like us from pouring our souls into it though :D

I still wanna know when the early access for our pre-orders will be. will it be like a 3 day before release thing? (It's EA, and they do the same thing on the EA Sports Season Ticket. If you subscribe, you get to play all EA sports games 3 days early)

1 Month Subscription: $14.99 (£8.99/€12.99)

3 Month Subscription: $13.99 per month (one-time charge of $41.97/£25.17/€35.97)

6 Month Subscription: $12.99 per month (one-time charge of $77.94/£46.14/€65.94)

Haha, nope.

I'm sorry, but regardless pf what the subscription fees have been for every other MMO since the dawn of time, that's still a reedikulous amount for a bloody video game. And don't give me the speel about "it's an MMO, it's an ever-persistent stream of new content"; you can't convince me to invest $60 down plus ~3x that per year. Honestly.

If this was free-to-play, or took the Guild Wars route, I'd be much more convinced to shell out my burning money. Sadly, I have more important games to invest in.

Haha, nope.

I'm sorry, but regardless pf what the subscription fees have been for every other MMO since the dawn of time, that's still a reedikulous amount for a bloody video game. And don't give me the speel about "it's an MMO, it's an ever-persistent stream of new content"; you can't convince me to invest $60 down plus ~3x that per year. Honestly.

If this was free-to-play, or took the Guild Wars route, I'd be much more convinced to shell out my burning money. Sadly, I have more important games to invest in.

I pity your intellect if you seriously thought a game this big and with this much effort thrown into it would be free to play.

@ Taak: I think they said something like 4 days before the release date... It's going to be really interesting how this all turns out for me though since I'm in Australia. I'll be able to play for those few days before release fine since I just have to download the launcher from the site and input whatever code I need to get early access... but it's going to take awhile for GameSpot to ship the actual CE box down here to Australia which means I may end up with a huge gap where I won't be able to play for about 1-2 weeks!! :cry:

@ PastramiX: Yeah, all games should be free and be considered a public service rather than any form of business.

Haha, nope.

I'm currently playing the beta. From what I'm seeing, it'll be worth the money. Best bet for you? Wait til they come out with a free 10-day trial (which will happen eventually), d/l it, see if you like it, then go from there.

I pity your intellect if you seriously thought a game this big and with this much effort thrown into it would be free to play.
The funny thing is, there's a great probability that that'll be the end-result. Feel free to see the plethora AAA-calibre MMOs retrofitted into the F2P model a year down the road. I'm really not expecting them to do it F2P from the get-go - that'd be immediate financial ruin - but I'll wager that somewhere it'll be brought up as a possibility.

I've been playing LOTRO for about 4-ish years now. It was well worth the lifetime sub I've played for it. I also have a lifetime sub to Star Trek Online, not because it's a great game (it pales in comparison to LOTRO), but because I like the IP a lot, and I think Perfect World will do some very interesting things with the game now that they've bought out Cryptic. LOTRO went f2p last year, STO is going f2p in the next couple months or so.

The f2p model that works best is Turbine's model (makers of LOTRO and DDO). You earn Turbine points by playing the game, and you can use them to unlock more quest packs and other feature. You theoretically could d/l the game and play 99.99% of the game without ever having to pay a dime for it.

Cryptic's model for its games sucks in comparison, and is more equivalent to a glorified trial of the game.

The reason many MMOs are going f2p is because microtransactions make the companies more money than the subs do. People notice spending 10 or 15 bucks a month. They don't notice (as much) a 5 buck transaction here, another 10 dollar one a week later, a 3 buck one 10 days after that.... Some spend almost nothing, true. Some people will spend a lot more, and the accountants have done their math on that one.

The reason many MMOs are going f2p is because microtransactions make the companies more money than the subs do. People notice spending 10 or 15 bucks a month. They don't notice (as much) a 5 buck transaction here, another 10 dollar one a week later, a 3 buck one 10 days after that.... Some spend almost nothing, true. Some people will spend a lot more, and the accountants have done their math on that one.

Yeah.. People go broke playing "F2P" games because of all the microtransactions. My GF just realized she spent more than $250 over the course of a year on an "F2P" game. And she's not exactly a hardcore gamer.

• 2 weeks later...

Open this link up in either IE or Google Chrome and select Star Wars: The Old Republic from the list... see what the deal is... http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/cyri/

What are the specs of your pc? This is what the official FAQ says about minimum system requirements for the game...

What are the system requirements for the game?

Processor:

AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core 4000+ or better

Intel Core 2 Duo 2.0GHz or better

Operating System:

Windows XP or later

RAM:

Windows XP: 1.5GB RAM

Windows Vista and Windows 7: 2GB RAM

Note: PCs using a built-in graphical chipset are recommended to have 2GB of RAM.

Star Wars: The Old Republic requires a video card that has a minimum of 256MB of on-board RAM as well as support for Shader 3.0 or better. Examples include:

ATI X1800 or better

nVidia 7800 or better

Intel 4100 Integrated Graphics or better

DVD-ROM drive – 8x speed or better (required for installation from physical editions only) Internet connection required to play.

Archived