Home

Play as Vader anytime? (Ultimate Sith Edition, PC)

Kurgan

This might seem like a beginner question, and it seems like this game's community has died down considerably since the release of the sequel (and that too), but I ask since I got a new computer recently and picked up the game too fairly cheap...

Is there a way to play as Vader in the game beyond the beginning of the original single player campaign?

Thanks in advance!

• 3 weeks later...

You'd think that the "editors" (hackers) could figure this one out, I mean they have us playing as other characters in-game (besides the ones you can normally "Unlock").

I mean, even a cheat or something... very surprising that nobody has figured something out.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've read on the forums about texture swapping and that sort of thing. Nothing too special and nothing I've had time to test myself. I've only put a couple of hours into the USE so far (playing, not editing), but had to put it aside due to my new job.

• 1 month later...

I've been playing it (TFU:USE) for a bit on my new laptop (and I started with the latest patch right off the bat, as I got the game not too long ago) and so far I've noticed:

Occasionally there's a bit of slowdown as you enter a new area (and it autosaves and spawns in a bunch of new enemies/boss). Granted, I usually play music in the background and there's a slight stutter as it loads a new track as well.

Occasionally enemies will be invisible (and no, not just the ones with "stealth" technology), and the sky will be missing its texture (making the infamous "hall of mirrors" effect). A reload fixes this.

I've occasionally gotten "stuck" on architecture, such that I had to restart from an earlier save point. I've seen enemies get stuck occasionally as well, but that just makes them easier to kill!

The game has crashed once or twice back to the desktop.

A few times I'll fire up the game and it will be stuttering and everything will be super choppy. Restarting the game fixes it.

It's also funny that some video/cutscenes are completely unskippable, but others, even if you press an arrow key or something, are instantly skipped (a few times I did this accidentally and missed a ton of stuff, thankfully you can view the cutscenes in the menu or watch them on youtube if you must catch up).

The game plays smooth though and looks great generally. I barely notice the 30 fps framerate cap.

I've been able to run my gamepads with this game thanks to Joy2Key, which is great, so I'm not forced to use one of the (few) controllers it officially supports.

Overall, I like the gimmicky use of the Force, and the story is kind of interesting (I'm about halfway through the main campaign), but I prefer Jedi Outcast/Academy's tighter use of the Force and sabers overall. But it can be a lot of fun in places, just blowing people away and picking up objects to toss around. Really wish there was a multiplayer option (I'd even take the bare bones Wii version's MP).

Back on topic, is there a way to give Vader any new powers or techniques other than what he starts with by default?

• 1 year later...

I have been absent for a long time, but now I have returned for good and I will post information about my research into the Force Unleashed.

Using a hex editor, it is possible to play as Vader in the PC version of TFU. If the line in the save file which reads playeractor*** is modified to playerdarthvader.actor.xml, you will load his model instead.

Now, his model incorporates all his functions, from the way he walks, his light saber style to his breathing audio. The only thing that doesn't work is the force choke and Vader's model gets stuck if you press the dash button. Also, Vader's model freezes when the force lightning duels are enacted, although you can still make him win them.

How to get the force choke to work and the animation to make him interact with the force duel under these circumstances are what I would like us to discuss.

No, I have not. This would require modding skill that I do not posses. I shall look into ways of how it could be done.

I imagine that if the instructions in the files could be altered, the force choke could be used by Vader in other missions and. It might be possible for Starkiller and the other models to use it also. I shall attempt to load Starkiller into the prologue mission this evening. The chances are he will use force lightning instead. I will post the results on this thread.

The right editor to open the files that give the characters their in game instructions should be focused upon next.

• 2 months later...
I have been absent for a long time, but now I have returned for good and I will post information about my research into the Force Unleashed.

Using a hex editor, it is possible to play as Vader in the PC version of TFU. If the line in the save file which reads playeractor*** is modified to playerdarthvader.actor.xml, you will load his model instead.

Now, his model incorporates all his functions, from the way he walks, his light saber style to his breathing audio. The only thing that doesn't work is the force choke and Vader's model gets stuck if you press the dash button. Also, Vader's model freezes when the force lightning duels are enacted, although you can still make him win them.

How to get the force choke to work and the animation to make him interact with the force duel under these circumstances are what I would like us to discuss.

Did you actually get to do that?

I can't do it for some reason.I do what you said and I get StarKiller/whatever.I really want to play as Vader.

• 8 months later...

Really cool to see some updates on this. I appreciate the effort! I don't know when I'll have a chance to play this game again (winter?), but when I do, I'll be happy to try some of these suggestions.

Got anything else? Feel free to post it in the meantime...

MTFBWY

• 7 months later...

hey people, i have try to change a save game to play as darth vader in the 3 levels of the USE, replacing the lines playerJediTemple.xml, playerHoth.xml, and playertatooine.xml, but,unfortunately, it cause that the save game does not work, so we need another way to play as vader in the 3 levels

Archived