Home

Revan: The Novel Spoilers (Oh god...)

Lordjedi

Basically there was this guy on another forum who had got a copy of Revan by Drew Karpyshyn early, and he pretty much wrote most of the plot in his post, of course naturally, people didn't believe him so he posted pictures of the book and pages, it looks legit. However, too be honest, the book seems terrible, this is how the guy summarized the book.

Show spoiler
(hidden content - requires Javascript to show)
After getting and reading a uncorrected proof of this story, pretty sure most people will think it sucks.

There are three main characters throughout: Revan, the Exile (now named Meetra Surik,) and a Sith Lord in the Emperor's service named Darth Scourge.

Revan's story is pretty simple. His dreams are bothering so he leaves his newly pregnant wife to go find out what's going on. He starts off his quest by visiting a planet the Mandolorians are on and helping Canderous find the old Mandalore's mask. Kills Canderous' wife in the process. The information he finds there leads him to the Emperor's home world, which has been stripped of life and made completely empty of the Force. Revan upon leaving is shot down by Scourge and his master and then drugged for two years so he can't do anything.

Scourge is also pretty simple. He's brought to the Imperial capital as part of a political machinations between the council right under the Emperor. He goes around doing things for them, though its pretty painful to read as he likes the tactic of bullrushing shooting enemies while hoping his armor protects him instead of blocking with his lightsaber and cutting people apart. Eventually he learns that the person he's under and a number of the people on the Dark Council are talking about betraying the Emperor because he wants to go after the Republic again. But they're all talk and don't do anything. Eventually they capture Revan and keep him captive for two years. Drugged Revan talks and does him mojo on this guy during this time, none that we actually see, and doesn't actually matter much since it doesn't come to much in the end. Except for the last bit, where he says he has a vision of escape.

Then you have the Exile, Meetra Surik. Bastila finds her and sends her after Revan. First thing you should know, is that Karpyshyn takes the game he did not write for and retcons everything interesting out of it. The Exile is a normal Jedi who was cut off from the Force and became a normal Jedi when she got it back. The Sith Lords are barely even mentioned aside from the fact that they hunted down the Jedi. Oh, Nihilus' power doesn't exist, in fact it can't exist. A big deal is made that the Emperor does the same thing and its something nobody has ever experienced before. The planet he stripped of the force to empower himself is very traumatic to Meetra, despite her in the game being the same thing. So, that part of the story of KOTOR 2 is retconned. Along with everything that came with it.

Anyway, she goes and finds this world and eventually ends up on the Imperial Capital. She finds Scourge, gets him to help her rescue Revan since he was told by him that a rescue would be coming and go and face the Emperor. Oh, Meetra is completely overwhelmed by Scourges master Sith through the use of Sith Lighting until Revan comes out and murderizes her to save the damsel. Anyway, they go face the Emperor where the three of them go face to face, until Scourge gets a vision of a different Jedi facing the Emperor. Figuring this must be the red skinned bastard's eventual killer, he stabs Meetra in the back with his lightsaber and the Emperor electrocutes Revan into submission. He locks Revan up in cryo to spend time plumbing his mind for information to help with his takeover of the Republic. Meetra's spirit refuses to join the Force and sticks with Revan to help him resist. Revan puts thoughts of caution into the Emperor's head, which is how he delays the coming invasion. The end.

I wish I was describing satire or fanfiction, but I'm not so lucky.

Oh no....

Link for original post http://forums.spacebattles.com/showthread.php?t=202146

EDIT: In a blog post by Drew Karpyshyn on Sept 30, he mentions he knows that this person from the spacebattles forum had got the book early, and he mentioned how people started emailing him about the book, it's a good read. Here's the link.

http://drewkarpyshyn.com/c/?p=302#more-302

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

*sigh* I read the spoiler so I wouldn't have to read the book. In my opinion, this is the ultimate form of "urinating on your own art". Rubbish, all of it. First of all, Revan and the Exile, when you get right down to it, are PLAYER CHARACTER AVATARS. That means each of these personages are created by each and every person who plays the KOTOR games. Why do we need to have a "canon" Revan (male) and a "canon" Exile (female)? Basically, what this so-called "novel" does is thumb its nose at the KOTOR storylines, and fans' creativity.

What creativity?

Further, if I may quote the only sane man from page three of that thread (for I find it an appropriate response to the average reaction):

And this is exactly the sort of pointless, adolescent fanwanking that gets me giddy just thinking of Revan being electrocuted to death. Because 'Revan' isn't a defined character with faults that can be examined. 'Revan' is just a bunch of people roleplaying how they're the most awesome people in the universe and sharing their ego trips to others on the internet. Especially annoying when the ordinary chest thumping is not enough anymore and certain people start getting philosophical, thinking they're all deep and profound and ****.

In summary: Yes, sure looks awful, but so did Crosscurrent (a Star Wars book with time travel in it), and it turned out to be great. I'll probably end up getting it to see for myself. And even if it is horrendous, just because it is horrendous does not mean that there is a single solitary thing in it that is too awful for a fan to actually put in a fanfic; they only despise it because it isn't their idea. And yes, I'm totally sure that the book is just as awful as this guy says it is. He's obviously not butthurt over anything.

Im going to go out on a limb and say that this is either a very simplified early version or not the real plot.

Sorry for the spelling or writing,....using cell to post this.

There are some items mentioned while others left out that causes me to doubt the source...

Number one is that the person does not show how this book connect to existing information known about Revan or hk-47.

Swtor's reveal on Revan show that the Sith will now know what he was hiding in his base ... which if Revan is drugged or in a cryo in large points in the book... How did this base come about? When did he build it ?

There is also mention in the Revan reveal that the Sith seem to talking as if Revan is either dead or unknown where he is now. If he was in cryo... Why talk about him in such manner.

Then comes the mask being shown on an alter. If Revan was in cryo... He would be wearing the mask... How would it get there.

The poster never talks about HK 47 who everyone loves... When we know hk is at This secret Revan base.

I would like the poster to actually post more informative details since it comes off as the poster hates the book and never connects it to what is known from swtor info.

I wish people would not take posts like this persons at face value. There is no proof he has the book. The one image I can see shows no content just a title page which can easily be created in photoshop.

Logan

You guys know that the name Darth Scourge makes this obviously fake, right?

I would have thought so, but strangely one of the "True Sith" Jedi Knight companions in The Old Republic is named Darth Scourge. I think it may tie it with that.

I wish people would not take posts like this persons at face value. There is no proof he has the book. The one image I can see shows no content just a title page which can easily be created in photoshop.

In the thread link the guy showed pictures of page of the Exile's death.

Something I found interesting from the passage:

"Anyway, they go face the Emperor where the three of them go face to face, until Scourge gets a vision of a different Jedi facing the Emperor. Figuring this must be the red skinned bastard's eventual killer, he stabs Meetra in the back with his lightsaber and the Emperor electrocutes Revan into submission."

Considering Scourge is a companion for the Knight in TOR, it is possible that the different Jedi he sees facing the Emperor, is you, your character and other Jedi players in TOR, and like in WoW how the Lich King was a raid boss, the Sith Emperor will eventually be one?

Sounds ****, they should of just left Revan and the Exile alone... Though I think K2 is the far more interesting story, as it's not a strict light dark dichotomy and retconning it away is only something a complete fool would do. I do agree with TK about Revan being totally blown up by fans own ego's but meh, I think Star Wars needs to remember part of the Original Triologies mystique was not spelling everything out... In this case leaving what happened to Revan and the Exile would of worked a lot better.

Rubbish, ****, or not, I'd much rather wait and read the book myself than base my view on someone else's negative opinion of the book.

The fact that this is just one person's summary makes it worse, especially as they've already decided that it sucks.

Sounds ****, they should of just left Revan and the Exile alone... Though I think K2 is the far more interesting story at retconning it is only something a complete fool would do. I do agree with TK about Revan being totally blown up by fans own ego's but meh, I think Star Wars needs to remember part of the Original Triologies mystique was not spelling everything out... In this case leaving what happened to Revan and the Exile would of worked a lot better.

mystique is always good. And Leaving Revan and Jedi Exile alone is the best thing.

Rubbish, ****, or not, I'd much rather wait and read the book myself than base my view on someone else's negative opinion of the book.

The fact that this is just one person's summary makes it worse, especially as they've already decided that it sucks.

Oh I was basing my opinion off the photo-copied pages... I had ignored the fan abbreviated version and read the few photo's...

The other question is this the final version or an early version sent to an editor.

This hints that this is legit at some level but also the reviewer gives a very poor review mainly says this stinks which even if he has the final version .... The review he presents is poor when reviewing a work of literature.

The other question is this the final version or an early version sent to an editor.

This hints that this is legit at some level but also the reviewer gives a very poor review mainly says this stinks which even if he has the final version .... The review he presents is poor when reviewing a work of literature.

He said it was an uncorrected proof.

I'm not familiar with publishing practices, but is it normal to have an uncorrected proof bound? And if it is uncorrected, how did he get a copy (I just assumed it was an advance copy to a reviewer/whoever that got leaked)?

There are different version around yeah...if you look at theforce.net, there are some people who read books 2-3 months before they are officially released. Seems strange though...I would've thought non-disclosure agreements would be the standard in this industry.

OT: Strange story. Why drag another Sith Lord in? Exile and Revan should have been enough. And the Exile isn't a powerful Jedi...she just leached the energy from the Lost Ones around her, becoming a superhero Jedi. And the Lost Ones didn't go with her to the Unknown Regions so it's only logical she only has her 'standard' powers left.

It does feel a bit...bad to have Revan and the Exile in stasis. This means they can be dragged out of storage room for an appearance TOR. They should've killed Revan of or had him kill the Emperor, leaving a big question mark for TOR to fill.

I do feel we need to get the cane out of the cupboard and give that Emperor a darn good spanking for hurting our beloved Revan.

Well ****. Saw the part of the emperor "dead at another jedi's feet" so I guess now we know for sure which is the canon ending.

Then again, spoilerific thread, oh noes! :thmbup1:

Though for the record my attitude on this game just went back down slightly into "BULL ****!"

To be brutally honest, it's Drew Karpyshyn's character and he is at full creative liberty to do with it as he wishes. I don't agree with it, but whatever. I'm not so attached either. I'd probably be the same were I in his place, though I'd try to be a little more respectful of preexisting canon (but who cares right?).

Paraphrase: "We can't keep up with every little piece and detail of canon because SW EU canon is massive--but we tried pretty hard."

[HK-47]Mocking Translation: Oh I "fixed" what I didn't like about previously established SW canon, and if you give me the benefit of a reasonable doubt, you'll believe that I genuinely tried my best not to **** it up. I was just a little more modest about it this time so I could get away with it. Heheheh Dumb@$$es.

[/HK-47]

Hint: Form VII Juyo Vaapad 1,000 years before Mace Windu invented it, anyone? :devsmoke: (Nice Try, Donkey Kong!)

EDIT: I tease of course, because the source of the leak is blowing things WAAAY out of proportion based on that which Drew Karpyshyn didn't pay any attention to, like little details (detracting from the point of the story). I'm sorry but you CANNOT make a judgment based off assumptions made from a LACK of evidence unless it is obviously conspicuous. Example: Since KOTOR 2 was not well known to the rest of the Galaxy, it is unlikely the little details about the members of the sith triumvirate would be common knowledge. Even if the rebuilt jedi order knew some of it, they collectively could not have pieced it back together to give a 100% recitation on EVERYTHING.[/EDIT]

BTW has anyone read the bio about Darth Jadus?

Show spoiler
He's basically BioWare's version of nihilus...my best guess who his daughter is, if he is one of the prominent sith characters like Malgus, is Eldon Ax who starred in Deadly Alliance (the first TOR novel of only 3). We all know Nihilus' action figure had dreadlocks...well Eldon Ax has dreadlocked red hair. I know, nebulous and speculative at best. If anyone has any other serious guesses that are better, feel free.

Also if that force ghost on the Taral V Developer walkthrough is indeed that of the Exile as some youtuber suggested to me...then the only face and hair I can come anywhere even near matching that with of the female player faces in K2 is the bushy blonde used for that one jedi woman in the malak recruit vision in Kressh's tomb:

Show spoiler

JediExileCG-WIP-2.jpg

which retcons that she had brown hair. And even this doesn't mesh. This is all speculative of course. The only things I have supporting this are this new tidbit, the images, and perhaps that the force ghost would choose to befriend Master Oteg of all Jedi, who would remind her of Master Vandar.

@J7 I agree. I, too, wish they would have left them alone. Sort of. Retconning K2 is a fool's move and that Revan has been blown out of proportion by fans.

Side note: I suppose now we'll never know about Arren Kae.

I would have thought so, but strangely one of the "True Sith" Jedi Knight companions in The Old Republic is named Darth Scourge. I think it may tie it with that.

He had also shown the page of the Exile's death, FWIW

Show spoiler
001ayh.jpg

About scourge...wasn't he the sith warrior to be out dueled in that video where the developers showed gameplay of both light and dark choices? Seems to me that's him.....He saw a different Jedi kill the emperor and now he's your companion. Coincidence? I think not. Kind of similar to Juhani if it *is* him.

I am not surprised in the least, though, that Karpyshyn decided to marginalize K2. Not only is it a very deliberate ****ting on Obsidian, but to add salt to the wound, gave the exile a very lackluster end.

[EDIT]: That *is* just my opinion though. Production of just about any kind is a competitive business afterall. I may not like it, but it is what it is. Out of necessity. [/EDIT]

So now it was Revan, not the Exile, who detonated that Mass Shadow Generator.

[EDIT]: Again, the exile's story was unknown to mast the galaxy, that doesn't mean gnost dural's recitation of history is infallible or inaccurate. [/edit]

BTW, KOTOR2 isn't "completely" retconned, just compartmentalized:

Show spoiler

picture.php?albumid=336&pictureid=8572

They'll probably say Nihilus had the powers too but was so weak anyways, that it didn't matter and that the universe wasn't actually in any danger from him.

Like master Vrook Lamar said, "Perhaps it is merely what you believe." ...Then he somehow got spooked into believing it b/c his death was imminent and the force betrayed him.

I'm not familiar with publishing practices, but is it normal to have an uncorrected proof bound? And if it is uncorrected, how did he get a copy (I just assumed it was an advance copy to a reviewer/whoever that got leaked)?

A betrayal of trust by someone working closely is not unheard of in publishing or otherwise--hence laws which protect trade secrets. So basically, it could be a draft or it could have been the final shebang just before reaching the printing press for the books.

Then again, we already know about HK-47 more or less. It looks like an intentional leak to me. Unverifiable on purpose. Careful on what information to release.

@ thread: personally I didn't know what to expect. Actually this somewhat supports this little nightmare theory that has been gaining traction in my head for some time now. Anyone care to guess what that is? :devsmoke:

Hint: He who looks like anakin in the timelines has been reborn as one who looks like vader in the cinematics. There have been a lot of little hints to this end.

Thanks for posting all this info, Avlectus...

But this one page is it? Revan doesn't break free to have an actual duel with the Emperor? Seems a bit of a wussy way to go for him. For the Exile, okay...beytrayal was the central theme of her story anyway. And refusing to pass on to the netherworld in order to piss off the Emperor feels like her as well.

However, I don't know if the hair on toy figures is canon. I recall a story about a Revan toy which had a bald head. That doesn't mean 'bald Revan' is the canon Revan though. He could've shaven his head. Just like Nihilus could've been in a Bob Marley mood. I'd prefer Three Little Birds over evil theme music any day... ;)

Archived