Home

Revan: The Novel Spoilers (Oh god...)

Lordjedi

I totally agree with DarthMuffin and Totenkopf. The novel is unnecessary, and it´s just a version, as any of ours. And, don´t forget it, Star Wars is a bussiness, even if it is unnecessary. All of us have our own ideas/thoughts about Revan, the exile, and what happened to them. As we have our own versions of Revan and the exile (gender, hair, LS or DS, etc.), we shouldn´t consider this novel as a canon, just another version. I´ll read the novel, but just for curiosity; I´ll still have my own opinion, surely as all of you.

By now, I suppose all of you konw that, in http://www.swtor.com, you can download the chapters 3 and 11 of the novel. According to that and what I´ve read here, I think I won´t like the novel very much, because in the novel, it seems Revan is less of what I think; that´s not exactly what I imagined about Revan and what happened to him. I´m one of those thousands of Revan´s fans who think Revan is our favourite character in Star Wars, and any of us have our thoughts, and probably they differ from Drew Karpyshyn´s version, but I don´t think we should kill him and his novel before reading it, I won´t do it. Let´s wait a little longer. Don´t take it as a canon, just enjoy it.

And about the previous discussion about Revan VS the exile:

KotOR is my favourite game, in spite of being and "ancient" game from 2003, I enjoy it every time I play it; it has made me to have my own opinion about Revan, which is the same as the one you can read in:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Revan

"Revan was known as a highly skilled warrior, having defeated some of the greatest and most accomplished fighters of his time during the Mandalorian Wars and the subsequent Jedi Civil War, including the former Echani general and senator Yusanis, Mandalore the Ultimate, and Darth Malak, who was counted among the skilled swordsmen of the era.

Revan was an incredibly talented and diligent student of the Force — the most gifted of his time — and eventually, by all accounts, became a very powerful Force practitioner. Both as a Sith Lord and as a Jedi, Revan used a variety of Force powers.

Revan was an exceptionally capable strategist and tactician. Revan's originality as a battlefield commander would earn him the undying respect of both the Mandalorian and Echani warrior cultures.

In addition to his combat prowess, Force mastery, and imaginative battle strategies, Revan spoke and comprehended a variety of languages. Revan was a skilled mechanic.

"…Your potential is unlimited…" - Zhar Lestin.

"You, Revan, are the single greatest warrior of this age, and any battle we fight will bring me honor." - Canderous Ordo.

"Revan was power. It was like staring into the heart of the Force." - Kreia".

And in KotOR 2:

Kreia:

"Is that what he was? Or was he always true to himself, no matter what personality he wore? And there is something that the Council may never understand. That perhaps Revan never fell. The difference between a fall and a sacrifice is sometimes difficult, but I feel that Revan understood that difference, more than anyony knew. The galaxy would have fallen if Revan had not gone to war. Perhaps he became the dark lord out of necessity, to prevent a greater evil."

When you read this, the only one opinion that you can make is that Revan is very powerful, very charismatic, a natural leader, and a skilled lightsaber wielder.

So, according with the KotOR 1, Revan is very powerful; not inmortal, allmighty and invencible, but very powerful, who decided to make a lesser evil for a greater good. A very interesting character, unfairly looked down on in KotOR 2, just because Obsidian wanted his/her own hero, or maybe they weren´t able to deal with Revan´ success or they didn´t know how to deal with, so they developed a different story. It´s really disappointing not having Revan, Bastila, Carth, Jolee, etc. again. It´s a pity there isn´t a real KotOR 3.

I think it´s absurd discussing who is the best, if Revan or the exile, we cannot make an appropriate comparison, because Revan and the exile are 2 different characters of 2 different games.

In KotOR, Revan starts being a "normal" person, you can get 20 levels, only 12 of jedi (19 with mods). And that´s all.

In KotOR 2, the exile starts being a jedi, at level 15 can get the advanced/master class, you can get 50 levels (with cheats :D ), and many feats, force powers and skills with the help of Kreia, Brianna, Visas, Atton, HK, T3 and the Jedi masters.

According to this, it´s obvious that the exile is far more powerful than Revan. Another thing would be that the exile was in KotOr and Revan in KotOR 2, as I have done: I played the KotOR 2 as the exile (obviously :p ): a man, Jedi Guardian level 15 - Jedi Weapon Master level ...; later, I played the game having in mind how Revan could be according with the KotOR and starwars.wikia.com (and, obviously, my decision), and MY result (I insist, it´s just my opinion) is a Jedi Guardian level 15 - Jedi Master level ...). In this case, I prefer Revan. I say all this so you can see it´s absurd arguing who is the best, becuase all of us have our opinion, but, when discussing this, remember we´re talking about different games.

Sorry for this huge and boring post :xp: .

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry but I would like to put an end to this debate regardless of how all of you will view this.

Warning major, MAJOR, MAJOR SPOILERS COMING DO NOT READ IF YOU DON'T WANT TO KNOW ABOUT THE BOOK OR THE GAME (SW:TOR)

Show spoiler
(hidden content - requires Javascript to show)
Reguarding the page from the novel describing the Jedi Exiles death I believe is completely legit. The exile is killed by a stab to the back and Revan is ceased and locked away in a stassis created by the Sith Emperor using sith alchemy. The exile refuses to become one with the force and remains behind as a force spirit trying to help free Revan.

Now skip ahead to the game. During Taral V flashpoint walkthrough a force spirit, female, reveals the location of a imprisoned jedi knight that has been held captive for 300 years. The party playing goes to find this "unknown jedi" and free him/her.

After some digging around I had found this video from a beta playthrough of SW:TOR which reveals who the "unknown jedi" is.

WARNING: what you are about to see will reveal name, face and voice of the unknown jedi. The site is in Bulgarian but the video is in English. Also note that the site may seem a little slow.

The video is here> https://www.vbox7.com/play:949ac49842

I believe that the force spirit is the Exile since the Jedi revealed seems to know her and of her death.

Reguarding the Unkown Jedi NOTE only read if you have watched the video.

Show spoiler
not sure how true it is but some beta testers have been reporting that Revan is a level 37 boss and that you as the player will then kill him. Like I said not sure how true it is though

Honestly I like the whole idea, I like truth to any subject. It sure won't ruin my fond memories of KotOR infact it makes me want to play KoTOR even more now. I knew it was only a matter of time before they made the reveal.

Doesn't bother me one bit!

Yeah, I just watched the video myself (after it finally loaded after twenty years), and it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. I guess Revan now has a canonical face (which I don't care for, but I guess that's how it is). Is there a face in the game that's similar to the one in the video? From the timeline entries which showed him from behind, I thought for sure "Mullet Man" was what they were going for (which made be happy because that's the face I've always used), but I guess that isn't the case now.

What bothers me about the video is that they're still using music from the movies. It doesn't belong, dammit! The unwritten rule is that every era has its own musical score, like KOTOR did. (For this reason, the developers of Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast wouldn't even use music from the prequels because it was from the wrong era, and that's only between the two movie trilogies!)

So far, it seems that this game's soundtrack consists of nothing but music from the films and from KOTOR with no original scores, and that is hugely disappointing.

Comparison on mullet man

Show spoiler
revancompare.jpg

I agree about the music. They are just being lazy! But the video is a beta playthrough so maybe they might have something different for the actual game, unless the soundtrack listing has already been released.

Sorry to derail this thread even more' date=' but does anyone know if that's Jeff Glenn Bennett (Kyle Katarn in the later Jedi Knight games) voicing Revan in that video? Sure sounds like him...[/quote']

Yeah I guess I did derail this thread a little, sorry about that. Just wanted to bring my findings to light and thought that this was the best thread in relation to the matter.

I too am wondering who does Revan's voice in that video. It sounds very familiar but I just can't place it.

Sorry but I would like to put an end to this debate regardless of how all of you will view this.

This is just as much about FEEDBACK and OPINIONS as it is revealing, and spoiling the novel coming out in 5 days. I don't really know how you could call this a debate, except for the new guy's mistaking what J7 said. That's more a misunderstanding than anything.

Reguarding the page from the novel describing the Jedi Exiles death I believe is completely legit. The exile is killed by a stab to the back and Revan is ceased and locked away in a stassis created by the Sith Emperor using sith alchemy. The exile refuses to become one with the force and remains behind as a force spirit trying to help free Revan.

Well, it isn't too hard to figure out when think about when who and what she is talking about is pretty easy to pinpoint to Revan.

Now skip ahead to the game. During Taral V flashpoint walkthrough a force spirit, female, reveals the location of a imprisoned jedi knight that has been held captive for 300 years. The party playing goes to find this "unknown jedi" and free him/her.

I believe that the force spirit is the Exile since the Jedi revealed seems to know her and of her death.

Oh we've known about this for awhile now, so you aren't telling us anything new, but I appreciate that at least you are paying attention. ;) Which is more than I can say for a typical newblood. Pleased to make your accquaintence BTW.

Now that I have a clear look at her face in a different shade of color, I can't decide if she looks more like the last caucasian face of the exile, with dark hair previously without a hairband (on the wookieepedia the "faces" of the exile image, very bottom), or if she looks more like the bushy blonde caucasian (See Nisotsa on the wiki). I'd opt for the former now over the latter.

Show spoiler
After some digging around I had found this video from a beta playthrough of SW:TOR which reveals who the "unknown jedi" is.

WARNING: what you are about to see will reveal name, face and voice of the unknown jedi. The site is in Bulgarian but the video is in English. Also note that the site may seem a little slow.

The video is here> https://www.vbox7.com/play:949ac49842

Show spoiler
YYYYYYEEEEEEEEESSSSSSS!!!

THAT is such a relief actually. I had this terrible, HORRIBLE idea in my head that they were hinting at Revan being reborn as Malgus. Because of all these subtle hints. You actually just made my day, you have no idea how BADLY I wanted to be wrong about it. It was like a nightmare that wasn't leaving me.

Show spoiler
Reguarding the Unkown Jedi NOTE only read if you have watched the video. not sure how true it is but some beta testers have been reporting that Revan is a level 37 boss and that you as the player will then kill him. Like I said not sure how true it is though

That's probably if you are a dark side user because it's canon that Revan is light side. Just a guess.

Of the 8 classes, you have 2 prestiges, 2 genders, differing species, alignment choice in game, and let us not forget the variables PER event. That is an INSANE amount of storyline and replay value.

So, it seems they're going all the way and milking Revan for all he's worth, satiating the wet dreams of every fanboy on the planet. A sellout, really.

Well, at least Malgus is really just a rehash of Vader and nothing more. So I'm relieved actually.

I don't really care what they do with Revan, now. Sure it's sad what they are doing, but in the end it was Lucas' character. Same with the exile. *shrug*

@thread:

Now I get to be MY ultimate character. Once I have brought down the republic, I know the Emperor will try to eliminate me.

He shall fail. Lying mangled at my feet, the old fool shall learn. My boot will be the last thing he ever sees before I snuff him out of existence. Then the throne is vacant for whoever wants it. I'm just interested in killing things and lighting stuff on fire. I don't serve him and he WILL learn that.

Beavis-fire.gif

I serve chaos!

@Darth Avlectus - So it's not a debate then. I was in a hurry and feeling a bit sick when typing that, actually I still feel sick...lol!

Newblood!? I've been a member for almost 2 years now! Well I guess I would be a newblood

to you. So on that I am pleased to make your accquaintence.

OT - I have read chapters 3 and 11 from this book and Drew refers to Revan as Revan in both chapters (all though he goes by Avner in chapter 11). I wonder if his real name will be revealed in the book?

@Darth Avlectus - So it's not a debate then. I was in a hurry and feeling a bit sick when typing that, actually I still feel sick...lol!

Newblood!? I've been a member for almost 2 years now! Well I guess I would be a newblood

to you.

In a relative sense of course. :) (I'm a newb compared to those who had been around before me.)

Yeah I was a little contentious because I was ready for something truly terrible to be the case. A narrative basically similar to ROTJ. YAAAAAY I'm wrong!

So on that I am pleased to make your accquaintence.

:D

OT - I have read chapters 3 and 11 from this book and Drew refers to Revan as Revan in both chapters (all though he goes by Avner in chapter 11). I wonder if his real name will be revealed in the book?

No, I think that's his given name.

Yeah, I've been wondering if both of his real names would be revealed, or either one of them. Let's not forget that Revan had his identity that he was born with up until becoming the Revanchist and then Revan and then Darth Revan, and then he had a new identity programmed into him by the Jedi Council following his capture. It's reasonable to assume that they would not have assigned him his birth name since they were trying to avoid all traces of his old identity so that he would not slip into the same patterns that led to his fall to the dark side.

Show spoiler

Show spoiler
YYYYYYEEEEEEEEESSSSSSS!!!

Actually after seeing this I would tend to agree, despite frustrating shortcomings on retconned plot details and my own bias towards a KotOR II ending preferred, this aspect really isn't bad at all. I'm relieved.

^^^I was probably going to get into this game this sooner or later just simply because the role of the player w.r.t. K1&2 is now relegated to spectator (once again), as J7 put it. The issue of revan and exile was quite besides the point to that. I'm still getting the novel because, well, it is what it is and I'm a collector. So DK, don't you worry about a thing.

While I understand this spoiler "potentially ruins the experience", I can firmly attest this is not the case for me. What I thought previously was disturbing to me so it's like a weight has been lifted. I may have deprived myself that nerdgasmic moment to find out I was wrong while playing it and discovering it for the first time, but seeing as how this wasn't a plot twist, the bliss would have quickly worn off. That or someone's blabbing would have ruined the surprise (like they did to me for TPM).

As for TSL, yeah I basically knew it more or less, before I ever started playing and wound up liking it even better. Sure I have my gripes with it but not many sequels are better in my eyes than the originals, personal tastes notwithstanding.

Well, it´s quite simple: you can see that "Avner" is an alias created with the letters of "Revan" in a different order.

I know right? That was one of the first things I noticed. At first I was all "Oh, DK decided to give him a name, just like the Exile is Meetra Surik."

Then I thought about the name and how it sounded for a second "Wwwait a minute." Noticed it was just "Revan" rearranged and I totally :smirk2:'d.

Archived