Home

Revan: The Novel Spoilers (Oh god...)

Lordjedi

KotoR is my favorite game of all time, I like it more than people should like games, and I've thoroughly enjoyed the book. It seems some opinions mirror the "George Lucas raped my childhood crap of the late nineties".

Your entitled to your opinions but it has followed the plot points outlined in the loading screens from both games, I dont see the problem myself. I will admit that KotOR II is not how I envisioned a continuation of the original, but I enjoyed that too.

Great Book IMO.

I find this to be a very honest review, thank you!:)

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

:golfclap: It´s exactly what I think about the novel, about the KotOR 2 with regard to the KotOR 1, about TOR with regard to both KotOR 1 and 2, and the direction that LA is taking and of the way in which they´re doing it: $$$!

In their effort for progressing, they´re doing it every time worse. What a so unnecessary way of complicating the things that were working and were very well! What a magnificent story/saga they could have developed and in what it´s now!

We, the fans, deserve something better, don´t we?

It´s my modest opinion, I think the KotOR saga it´s less than it could have managed to be.

A simply perfect review, it´s necessary to add not even a comma.

I said before we should wait until we´d read the novel, but after reading this review, which is exactly as I was afraid, ... Good-bye novel!

I picked up the novel today and have only read the prologue and the first chapter. I found the prologue to be rather bland and a bit overzealous, trying to cram too much information down our throats at one time; but I really loved the chapter with Darth Scourge.

And I find it kind of sucky that Revan knows himself as "Revan" now, considering how fiercely the dialogue choices for the light side path in KOTOR hammer the point home that he no longer has any use for that identity. I know what Mr. Karpyshyn is trying to do, and I appreciate it, but as much as it pains me to say, he really should have given Revan an official name. I mean, we've already got a face for him now, and the Jedi exile has a face and a name, so you may as well take it all the way.

And I refuse to believe that "Avner" crap is anything more than a pseudonym.

I'm enjoying it so far through the first nine chapters. I know the basic premise about the ending and how it ties to SWTOR.

While I'm not crazy about what they did, I will point out that DrewK came on board late to TOR. Revan's fate may have been outlined prior to his involvement. So the hate mail should probably go to Bioware as a whole instead of singling out Drew. :p

I agree, I want more too, but I would prefered it was in the eagerly wanted KotOR 3 (and not a MMO), a video-game is not only more funny, we can also make our own decisions too, instead of a novel that could be interesting but in which everything is decided and that we could disagree, because there could be something we don´t like. What if you read the novel and it´s not as you thought or wanted? That´s why I´m a little disappointed with what I have read of the novel, because I think Revan is more charismatic, determined, and powerfull than he seems to be in those chapters (the way he fights with the Basilisks..., I expected something as "TFU 2: Betrayal" trailer).

The rest we have read here about the novel is pure speculation.

I understand. I also wanted KOTOR 3. But KOTOR 2 destroyed Revan's story in my opinion. Revan' story was beautiful and clean in the first game. Then came KOTOR 2 and we learned that Revan went in to the unknown regions and never came back. This sucked.

However, I do think that some attributes and characteristics of Revan and Jedi Exile needed to be defined and it has been rightfully done so.

If Revan and the Jedi Exile are considered in a debate, we can never properly argue for them with vague characteristics. Our personal assumptions will have no merit unless they have canonical support behind them.

I agree, I have just read 2 chapters. But I expected somthing more.

The novel is not bad. Give it a try. However, it lacks in depth.

I personally believe that the novel seriously lacks in depth in the finale specially. The struggle to reach the Sith Emperor should have been a long one and it would have been good to see lots of combat feats of Lord Scourge, Jedi Exile, and Revan in the process. Drew wasted this golden opportunity in my opinion. The final battle was also not good enough for my liking.

First there were the games, and later the history. Revan and the exile are originally 2 video-game characters that were adapted to the SW history, so I think it´s important to take in account the games and what they offer, even if you disagree. I say I wanted Revan in KotOR 2 and with what it offers (I told before I played K2 as if the PC was Revan instead of the exile).

I also prefer Revan, by far. I expected more of his adventures in KotOR 2, with the rest of characters of the KotOR (or the majority of them), and not another story with another PC and a stupid story about: "Revan went to the Unknown Regions, we know nothing about him". What disappointment! :swear:

I absolutely agree with you here.

Though I have no issues with introduction of the Jedi Exile. Her story is good in the Revan' novel surprisingly.

By the way, you tell me the attributes of the 2 characters; considering the initial attributes in the games, and the others that you get every 4 levels, I don´t see why those attributes you tell me are so high, overall in K1, unless you cheat. We could say the same with Malak: 29, 18, 23, 15, 15, 20. :confused: And are the LS bonus included?

But I´ll answer to your argument: seeing these attributes you tell me, the exile is more intelligent and charismatic than Revan :eyeraise: . Unacceptable! :disaprove . Besides, "this" Revan has many odd attributes, so they´re incomplete for getting the bonus; following your argument, I think it would be better to say: 16, 16, 14, 14, 18, 22, and that would be much more than the rest of the companions of the games. I cheat and my Revan is: 16+3, 16, 14, 14, 16, 20.

And we´re talking about Revan, remove the "Darth". :lsduel:

No, I am not talking about the initial attributes of the game.

Those are official attributes of the two characters during the Jedi Civil War. However, they do not give you the whole picture. Revan has certain specialities and so does Jedi Exile. And characters grow and change with passage of time.

I used to think that conversation with Canderous was referencing something like the "True Sith" mentioned in TSL, but besides the fact that the conversation was not acknowledged in the novel, a closer look at the following quote makes me pretty certain that Canderous thought Revan and Malak had acquired their military capital (ships, droids, weapons, etc.) by allying with the rebuilt remnants of Kun and Qel-Droma's Sith "empire" (since he was unaware of the Star Forge at the time):

"The Sith had gone – retreated into their empire. They sealed themselves off from the rest of the galaxy. We thought it would be centuries before they'd come back. It's amazing that they could rebuild their fleet so fast."

If the Sith he was referring to rebuilt their fleet shorter than on the order of centuries, the only Sith he could really be referring to were Kun and Qel-Droma's AFAIK.

----

RE: stats

The stats posted earlier in the thread for Revan and the Exile are from the Saga edition KotOR campaign guide. Saga edition and Star Wars d20 (which the KotOR games are mostly based on) are closely related, but not the same, with some different rules regarding ability scores (for example, Saga Edition lets you boost two ability scores by one point every four levels instead of just one ability score).

Also, as I've been told countless times, while general character information in RPG sourcebooks is canon, character stat blocks (ability scores, feats, abilities, etc.) are not.

Nevertheless, presumably the RPG authors were working from notes and source material that result in a close approximation of what the creators of the characters envisioned.

----

RE: the novel

The novel hit on all the necessary plot points, but it really did so in a pretty generic fashion.

The entire novel is told more or less "over the shoulder" of the POV characters, just like it was a partial script for a computer game, and never "zooms out" to touch upon the state of the Republic, its military, the Jedi Order, etc. The Sith Empire the novel portrays is a starport, a couple of palaces/fortresses, a club, a cave, a factory, and a warehouse, with slaves, subjugates, and military personnel wandering about.

I don't know if the author was working on a page restriction, but the novel could have been a lot better with more time spent conveying the state of affairs and setting the stage for the war to come. The desperate need for Revan and the Exile to succeed in delaying the Emperor's plans because the Jedi Order needed time to rebuild and the Republic was still in shambles after the Jedi Civil War and its aftermath was never conveyed, nor was the terrifying buildup of the Imperial military.

I didn't really mind the depiction of the two Jedi heroes. For me the book left enough unsaid to allow the player/reader to interpret plenty of both games the way they choose.

Just finished the book. Wow.

Show spoiler
(hidden content - requires Javascript to show)
At least Revan did have some part in delaying the invasion. The epilogue was touching also. I guess we won't see T3 in TOR. I hadn't heard his fate prior. That was a tough one.

Sad but awesome book.

I just finished reading Star Wars: The Old Republic: Revan over the weekend and found it a good read. Drew Karpyshyn knew he had a tough road ahead of him on this one but I thought he did a fairly good job of bringing the main characters and events from the KotOR games into this new story.

I still wonder how George Lucas feels about or if he is even aware of the way the Force has been portrayed in the Old Republic era. First it was the wound in the Force and potential destruction of the Force in KotOR II: TSL.

Show spoiler
Now it's this void in the Force created by the Emperor on his home planet

Let me apologize in advance for the long post, I guess I'm just loving this too much.

Man, this book is harder to get in person at the bookstore than anything I've come across lately. Sold out *every* time Barnes and Noble has gotten a shipment in. Crazy. Probably won't be able to get it in person until january at this rate. Everyone ordered most of them from B&N online so there were only a small group in person and those sold out in a few hours of release. Looks like the case with every shipment that has come in thereafter.

Sorry no review yet. :D

OK, you caught me. I´m Spanish, and my English level is quite basic, I don´t get what "poor godkin" means, and something tells me is better not to ask. :xp:
GODKING is the name of another LF member...one who mistook me and at least one other member for girls because of our avatars. Poor fella.

OK, I am a Jedi Guardian, duelist, with the Mantle of the Force and a blue-violet blade from a mod (as you can see in some images), with one of the character´s robe of the "PSR" but the appereance of one of the master´s robe of the "k1robemodels" mod (I have mixed those mods).

I just find curious that Revan uses 5 different blades using just one lightsaber, being duelist (canon), in 6,7 years. Perhaps he isn´t very sure which color is his favourite one :p .

It changes along with him. :D

What I mean is that they have added it according to the novel, I am thinking about remembering it wasn´t there before, another move for making it canon.

If you'll refer to the Darth Bane novels, you will see that he has had a habit of semi-retconning things. Changing the slight details. Bane was just an obscure and otherwise anonymous sith and Revan hadn't been thought up yet. Plus the existing works on him prior didn't go very far. The Jedi vs Sith war, some of the aftermath and Bane's visit to Dxun, and that's pretty much it iirc.

He's retconned a few things about K1 it appears and some things about K2. I'll accept his story with a grain of salt, and maybe do my own personal reconciling retcon of all things to set it straight.

Yes, I choose that face too. I think it´s very good as it is, there is no reason for complicating it, and I think is much better than he is described in http://www.starwars.wikia.com/Revan:

"Revan was an unprepossessing man, with fair skin and black hair. Neither tall, nor particularly handsome. Indeed, Revan described his own features as "unremarkable" and "average". During the Mandalorian Wars Revan took to wearing his hair long, sometimes tied back and sometimes flowing freely past his shoulders. However, after having his memories altered by the Jedi Council Revan maintained a shorter style. At somepoint before or after his conscription aboard the Endar Spire Revan grew a beard, which he wore throughout the Jedi Civil War, and after. This beard eventually became a trademark part of his appearance. So much so, that after being awarded the Hero's Cross Revan shaved it off and ceased wearing Jedi robes in public, seeking to dissasociate himself from the celebrity he had become".

What the ... :argh:! What absolute nonsense! :lol: Totally unnecessary!

For personal reasons I can understand anonymity and wanting secrecy. It's a personal taste of mine, but I do agree with you they have otherwise complicated it, retconning the in game appearance. Maybe that's just DK's 'artistic style'? :roleyess: I dunno. Just one of those odd little things I guess.

I always thought that Revan and Carth finished KotOR being very good friends, so I don´t understand why Revan allowed Carth to think he had gone if Revan was indeed with Bastila for a year more. He tells nothing to one of his best friends? :confused: . And time later, in KotOR 2, Bastila tell nothing about that to Carth?

Good catch there, and from how this looks...I'm afraid I can't explain that for others like yourself who probably really liked Carth. It indeed looks like a retcon of what Carth said in K2...perhaps intentionally so. Even with my personal tastes I can't explain the timeline as anything BUT a retcon.

Personally, the game mechanic sort of crammed the companion storylines down your throat; while I indeed helped Carth get his son Dustil back, and perhaps I underestimate how much that would endear me to Carth as a friend...at the same time "all in the line of duty". Also Carth is a bit whiny--at least that's how he came across to me. Still I suppose I too would have been more honest about the timeline, even as much as I prefer my privacy and secrecy.

If I was Revan, considering that I´m a hero, a symbol, I would used my reputation, my fame, for reconstructing the Republic and the Order (as GO-TO says in K2), and defeating completely the Sith I created, working to make a strong Republic and Jedi Order, before going to investigate to the Unknown Regions if I think it´s really necessary, because in the novel it seems that Revan remember something of the academy of Trayus at Malachor V, that´s enough for preparing to face new foes, not The True Sith, but foes in the end, as it happens in KotOR 2.

Problem with that is that visions happen when they happen. You don't choose, you choose to heed its message or warning or you don't.

"Always in motion the future is."

--Yoda

And the way it works is that shatterpoints in the force are constantly moving just like life everywhere. When Kreia talks about the force, its eddies and currents, following the "fracture" to its core, she is talking about this very thing. She may be being deceptive but on such a matter as this I doubt she's deceiving you: she hates the force and wants to kill it.

Revan could have acted upon his visions later, and tactically that is a smarter move than what he did, I agree. However from the chapter 11 "peek", I think it is safe to say that if Revan did not act when he did, Canderous Ordo might not have gotten the Mandalore's the helmet. The other Mandalorian clan was closing in on where it was to be found, or so I am lead to believe. I don't know that for sure but it is not an unreasonable ....speculation.

If you'll indulge me on shatterpoints a little more:

Show spoiler
For example, Mace Windu had his chance at the Battle of Geonosis in AOTC to become the savior of the galaxy. Because Dooku was so pivotal at that moment in time as events played out, if Mace had dueled the fallen Dooku and perhaps succeeded in bringing him down, rather than follow his duty to help the other Jedi on the arena floor he could conceivably have single-handedly ended the war himself. In the force, while viewing Dooku, the shatterpoint of the darkside's future was completely on him at that specific point.

Though what might have happened afterwards might have been different: had mace made the effort to hit that shatterpoint, he might have given into the dark side on Haruun Kal against his fallen former apprentice Depa Billiba later on in the novel Shatterpoint (and yes this is where my analogy example comes from).

I digress, to prove this shatterpoint analogy:

In the CW cartoons (dah--I can't stand them) later on Mace once again confronted Dooku and this time dueled him but Dooku no longer held the shatterpoint because he was not as critical to the future of the dark side at this point.

Kreia:

"Is that what he was? Or was he always true to himself, no matter what personality he wore? And there is something that the Council may never understand. That perhaps Revan never fell. The difference between a fall and a sacrifice is sometimes difficult, but I feel that Revan understood that difference, more than anyony knew. The galaxy would have fallen if Revan had not gone to war. Perhaps he became the dark lord out of necessity, to prevent a greater evil."

^^^This.

I´m sure you agree when I say that the awesome "BoS:RS" is the best mod for K1.

I'm sorry but I can't say that I do. I have tried out the demo version, but the writing and dialogue just stuck out way too much for me to want to download and play the full thing later on.

(I have nothing against you personally SilverEdge! You display plenty of initiative and you get results!)

Also, what did I say it makes out of yoU and ME when you ASSume? :devsmoke:

I am a little of agreement.

*brevity* Because it´s a bussiness.

Well, we all see that now. When I finally get my hands on the novel and read it for myself, I'll make the decision for myself. So far it sounds like a big massive cluster F%*#. I do wish, though, things being business didn't have to botch and intrude on existent stories so much.

I want more about Revan and his companions too, preferably something "alive" in which we could say or do something (I mean a game), and not something done/written, but the choice passed away (KotOR 2 and 3). Now I think Revan and all the original story are misplaced. *brevity* I´m not very convinced, but it´s what it is. Let´s see what they do.

Suspension of disbelief is optional. :)

As I keep saying, let's not forget that the incarnation of the Sith seen in the upcoming MMO was completely inspired by KOTOR 2. I'd say that's pretty major. Granted, they went completely against what Obsidian had in mind for the "true Sith," but the idea originated with Obsidian.

I thought the tales of the jedi comics (circa ~1996) was where it first was mentioned? I'll give Obsidian credit for attempting to expand and expound upon it where BioWare did not.

And before anyone says the "true Sith" were Bioware's idea, we've talked about this before: the line that appears in that loading screen in the first game was a throw-away line without much thought behind it, and referred to something entirely different (namely, the Sith species that the exiled Dark Jedi conquered).

I do agree that BioWare was going to ignore it or make much less out of it than Obsidian. So all the people blaming Obsidian for "going way too far in their own direction" need to sit down and be quiet.

To be honest, I hear Kreia just the half of what she says, because she is a dark jedi, don´t forget she is Darth Traya, she is with you not only for the bound you two share, but because also she is interested in it for her own intentions;

To be fair, I think her motivations changed once she realized she wasn't going to get the remaining Jedi Masters to acknowledge the truth embodied through the Exile, let alone accept it. Up until that point she had been okay and perhaps neutral. So she lashed out in response. Then after that, well there really was nowhere else to go but back to the dark side. Also, she saw in the end she too was part of the problem and had to be eliminated. Since she was an unreliable narrator the best thing she could do as a teacher was ultimately to pit the Exile against herself--and in a way it fell into place because of her insane goal to "kill the force". The Exile had to heal and be strong once again. Kreia gave the Exile no other options, made her face it and overcome it. Kreia did it all for the Exile. Kreia was old and there was no turning back for her by that point.

And about E. Kun´s faction, that war took place about 35/40 years before the mandalorian wars, almost all of the people who fought there are dead at that moment, except Jolee and a few very old masters. I don´t remember now what Jolee says about that war, if you ask him if all the traitors are dead (something like that).

I admit that there is probable that those Sith survivors from Kun´s faction transmited their knowledge to new Sith students, but I think it´s not the same. And remember that most of the original Darth Revan´s army, or probably all his army, are former Republic soldiers, not those Sith who could join later, right?.

Maybe you´re right, there are always Sith, but these Sith you talk about were weaken, I think they were not prepared for a new war. I think Canderous says about them that they preferred to remain in their own territories, as if the thing was not with them.

That's true, Sion was a part of Kun's army. I wonder, though, if Sion and Kreia weren't friends when they were younger (or perhaps a little more :naughty: but it fell apart). Like Sion once was a Jedi. Remember Kun and Qel Droma were both fallen Jedi too. Shame they didn't go more in depth on him--I see how he could have been a "tragic villain". He may have been a grunt but it would seem that having love for the canon female Exile would suggest at some point that he might have been a good man.

I too think Sion and his assassins were a band of remnants on their own territory. Also even he was aware something lurked beyond the outer rim in K2.

Shem (or SOMEBODY) actually showed a video of Canderous saying it hadn't originally been the idea of the mandalorians to attack, rather some sith who sealed themselves off once the war had begun. This is not new.

It's debatable whether what was meant at that time:

We had mention of sith species prior to BioWare and KOTOR 1, Lucasarts came up with that. K1 simply has a throwaway line saying the sith species were believed extinct. Obsidian later had the idea of the True Sith. The RP book elaborated on Sion's past as part of the Kunist forces as I pointed out above with the link to Sion's wiki.

Yeah, exactly, that's just what I was about ti point out. And I've heard the conversation before, and thought it was clear that he was referring to the remaining Kunist forces. From what I gather, there seem to have been quite a few of them left over who were eventually assimilated into Revan's Empire.

Bioware clearly did not come up with the "true Sith" idea. Don't get me wrong, it is obviously true that the retconned stance now is that Canderous was referring to the "true Sith," but that definitely wasn't was Bioware had in mind at the time.

Agreed. I think BioWare wanted to go its own direction, eschewing the sith species, then Obsidian wanted to take it all their direction possibly the Kunists...then LA comes in and decides the ancient sith species isn't extinct but hidden and took it ultimately in their own direction.

Sadly we'll never know now.

From what Obsidian said in press releases, their idea for the "true Sith" was a faction completely unconnected to the Sith Order founded by the Dark Jedi of the Second Great Schism who mingled with the Sith species. It was supposed to have been a group that built their empire tens of thousands of years ago.

This is just personal conjecture, but I do believe that there were going to have something to do with Adas and his legion of Sith warriors who defeated the Rakata, took their space vessels and conquered other worlds circa 28,000 BBY. I've posted my theories on the matter on these boards several times, and if I come across any of them, I'll be sure to link you to them.

In other news, I just finished the novel last night. I have to say that I quite liked the direction that Karpyshyn took. My only complaints are Revan's name and how he identifies himself, as I said before (after all, why did he not recall his original name when all of his memories came flooding back near the end of the book?), and the fact that

Revan dons his mask as a light sider. I've never liked this idea. To me, Revan's mask and familiar costume are identified with his time spent as the Dark Lord of the Sith. During the Mandalorian wars, they signified his continual fall from grace. They don't belong on a redeemed Revan, in my opinion.

I decided to avoid the boards here until I read the book for myself, and I'm glad I did. I finished the book earlier this week and absolutely loved it, with a few minor complaints here and there that weren't substantial enough to ruin anything for me.

As for Revan's mask

Show spoiler
being worn as a light-sider, I actually have no problem with this. He wore the mask during the Mandalorian wars prior to turning to the dark-side. Granted, the image of Revan in the mask is absolutely associated with his time spent as a Sith Lord, but Revan did wear the mask before he was Sith.

My main issue with the book was with the Emperor's ability

Show spoiler
to suck all the life (and force) from an entire planet, as I felt this egregiously amplified power had already been dealt with in TSL (Darth Nihilus). I know there were some minor differences between the two acts but they were too similar for the reveal on Nathema to warrant the shock factor that Karpyshyn was aiming for. If we are to believe that this act was so atrocious that even Sith Lords find it appalling (Nyriss, Scourge, and other members of the council), it needs to be something we haven't seen before to fully buy into it.

This book has got me even more excited to play TOR now, which was almost definitely the goal in releasing it. I hope there's more interaction with Meetra and Revan to come.

I decided to avoid the boards here until I read the book for myself, and I'm glad I did. I finished the book earlier this week and absolutely loved it, with a few minor complaints here and there that weren't substantial enough to ruin anything for me.

As for Revan's mask

Show spoiler
being worn as a light-sider, I actually have no problem with this. He wore the mask during the Mandalorian wars prior to turning to the dark-side. Granted, the image of Revan in the mask is absolutely associated with his time spent as a Sith Lord, but Revan did wear the mask before he was Sith.

My main issue with the book was with the Emperor's ability

Show spoiler
to suck all the life (and force) from an entire planet, as I felt this egregiously amplified power had already been dealt with in TSL (Darth Nihilus). I know there were some minor differences between the two acts but they were too similar for the reveal on Nathema to warrant the shock factor that Karpyshyn was aiming for. If we are to believe that this act was so atrocious that even Sith Lords find it appalling (Nyriss, Scourge, and other members of the council), it needs to be something we haven't seen before to fully buy into it.

This book has got me even more excited to play TOR now, which was almost definitely the goal in releasing it. I hope there's more interaction with Meetra and Revan to come.

About TSL & the Novel

Show spoiler
Maybe the other Sith Lords didn't know about Nihilus, Sion, & Traya? As I understand it the novel pays little mention to Kotor 2 with the exception of the Exile, Atris, and certain events. So maybe the intention here is that the only ones who would know of them were those intimately involved (i.e. Meetra, Kreia, Canderous, etc.) Visas mentioned in TSL that there were other factions of the sith, so perhaps the other sith were unaware of the Triumverate? That would be my take on it unless Karpyshyn was completely disregarding K2 entirely.

Show spoiler

Yes, I mentioned that. I also said that, at that time, it signified Revan's gradual fall from grace that he experienced as a schismatic Jedi. At the end of KOTOR Revan is pretty much a shining beacon of pure goodness, so it doesn't jive (although in the book he seems to have fallen away from that somewhat, being more of a Gray Jedi, and even calling upon both sides of the Force simultaneously).

I use spoiler tags instead of hidden tags. I'm old skool like that.

Ah sorry, missed that.

The pic is one I rendered myself. I ripped the model from the game assets.

No need to apologize, I was mearly pointing out what I had already contributed.

That's really good! I don't suppose I could get you to further render the image to include his torso, to use as a future avatar? When you have free time of course.

@Topic: This novel seems to be getting a lot of mixed reviews. Would love to see what the results would be on a poll.

Sorry, no can do. The assets are stored hashed and there isn't a full hash list available, so only a percentage of the assets are available in any sort of usable form. All I have of him is the head. There are some people that are working on various TOR asset tools which will hopefully progress a bit quicker now that we've gone through a beta weekend open to everyone.

Here's a sneak peek at him:

Show spoiler

th_TOR_Revan_Head.jpg

Ummmm, you what?! :xp:

Deeamn.

And the head is badass, he has that Revan mask-shaped scarring! this is more than acceptable Revan :p

I just wish we had more conclusive evidence that Bioware wants to continue the series past this MMO, perhaps into a more expanded RPG game.

Archived