Home

Occupy Wall Street

Dak Drexl

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't know much, but based on what I've seen it largely looks like a bunch of communists, anti-capitalists and anarchists with lots of catchy ideas and slogans, but no actually workable ideas, they're parroting the same things about 'more taxes' and 'down with banks/corporations', and holding up traffic, much like the similar group over here called UK Uncut does.

Like our brothers and sisters in Egypt, Greece, Spain, and Iceland, we plan to use the revolutionary Arab Spring tactic of mass occupation to restore democracy in America. We also encourage the use of nonviolence to achieve our ends and maximize the safety of all participants.

:rofl:

From what I read, they are are the 99 percent, people ranging from college to babyboomer (50s)...including a 92 year old marched with them.

They are against corporate greed and getting corporate money out of politics since our politicians are owned by these companies.

They don't have a full list of demands.....remember what happen in Egypt...how people had a college degree in engineering but are selling cell phones on the streets of NYC...This is the same setup here in America.

Social media is allowing this to grow since now its groups are now found in over a dozen cities...and its growing.

They are not against capitalism but they are against greed and the way how some business will use their money to buy politicians and place profit over people.

Ex. Some people who had their house foreclosed on and the bank did not make their full total money back..are now suing the person who foreclosed for the 78 thousand gap in what they wanted to get back.

Some of Corporations out there have now become the Kings and Queens of the world where they feel they are above all. They will do what they want and then blame the government...which they own.....for the reason for this.....This type of action will only fuel the occupy Wall street and other occupy groups...

They think what happen in Egypt can't happen in the USA,....the Mega rich and powerful along with politicians...are delusional if they think America is invincible/ immune to such events.

The group is growing and its peaceful....except for a few zealots who will do something dumb like the Smithsonian situation----which was the anti war group there.

Occupy Wall street is a peaceful growing group...

I can't argue with the initiative. It's a natural reaction to the most recent economic crisis which culprits have been determined ages ago. People are angry and want to vent it. They want to be heard, they want to be seen.

Still, and I can mention a few scholars that would agree with me, it's protesting for the sake of protesting. They lack an agenda and clear objectives and, in the end, it may not accomplish nothing because of that.

I can't argue with the initiative. It's a natural reaction to the most recent economic crisis which cultprits have been determined ages ago. People are angry and want to vent it. They want to be heard, they want to be seen.

Still, and I can mention a few scholars that would agree with me, it's protesting for the sake of protesting. They lack an agenda and clear objectives and, in the end, it may not accomplish nothing because of that.

However, the reason they probably won't accomplish anything is not their fault.

With all the respect, the US is a 'sick' country. Watched the last Michael Moore documentary about the financial crisis and I can't shake the feeling that the nation is run by a select few who keep their 'layer' of society intact. Like the old caste system. Even Obama can't ignore them (since they funded his campaign).

We got that over here too though. Occupy The Hague is going on here.

We had a bank top manager scoring a multi-million bonus for his good performance. Best part: The bank needed an injection of billions to stay alive. So my tax money went straight into his (probably container-sized) wallet. And the government didn't fix this.

Because the old minister of finance who gave them the support of billions works for them (another bank though) now.

They don't have a full list of demands.....remember what happen in Egypt...how people had a college degree in engineering but are selling cell phones on the streets of NYC...This is the same setup here in America.

They think what happen in Egypt can't happen in the USA,....the Mega rich and powerful along with politicians...are delusional if they think America is invincible/ immune to such events.

Comparing the revolutions in North Africa to protests in America and other Western countries does a disservice to those who died in those protests.

I'm not saying they're wrong to protest, but comparing themselves with the situations in Egypt and Tunisia is stupid. They're not being shot at for a start, and nor are they under the grip of a dictatorship that wouldn't hesitate to shoot them.

Some of the problems may be similar - unemployment, corporations, etc, but the protesters on Wall Street are guaranteed the right to demonstrate, something that people all across the Middle East are still risking their lives for.

So what exactly needs to be changed? Until that is answered they will get nowhere.

Well...you're an American right? You can't be satisfied by the way your country is run, the way money decides who becomes the president, etc.

As an outsider, it's difficult to 'see' the real problems besides what we see on the television: People getting kicked out of their houses, after paying 20 years of mortgage, because a suited man is gambling in Wall Street. That's the image of the situation we get over here in Europe....

I really just don't think protesting is going to solve anything. At first I think the initiative against big business and all was a good thing. But now... people are just going to protest against anything and everything they can think of; it's so unorganized. It's become quite retarded IMO.

I don't want to be the ******* who throws out his credentials and says his opinion is better than everyone else's, but I'm in school for economics right now, so I see a lot of wrong economic advice on TV and stuff. What's WRONG with us right now is that our economy is in a bad slump. It's survivable. It's cyclical. It will get better and then it will happen again in the future.

The difference is our society doesn't accept as much as we used to. We don't work as hard and we were raised hoping other people would work hard for us. That means sometimes we ALL have to go through hard times and work for the benefit of other people. Greedy rich people have existed all throughout history in every system. We could (and probably should) find a way to moderate their greed, but placing the blame on them is scapegoating the real problem, and that is that we are getting lazy and greedy ourselves.

I find this funny, the tea party started about the very same thing...Governments involvement in bailing out the banks and wall street. In the beginning they were just as unorganized and stupid with tea bags hanging from their hats. However, they did have a very good point about the lack of financial responsibility by corporate America and the world for that matter. They made billions on risky investments and then when the time came to pay the piper they shifted the burden to the American Tax Payer.

However, that message from the tea party was soon squelched by corporate America and the Republican party so that the tea party has become little more that a subset of the Republican party. Cut the taxes on these same corporations, remove the oversight and wait for the next financial catastrophe.

I don't want to be the ******* who throws out his credentials and says his opinion is better than everyone else's, but I'm in school for economics right now, so I see a lot of wrong economic advice on TV and stuff. What's WRONG with us right now is that our economy is in a bad slump. It's survivable. It's cyclical. It will get better and then it will happen again in the future.

Well said for sure.

Well...you're an American right? You can't be satisfied by the way your country is run, the way money decides who becomes the president, etc.

As an outsider, it's difficult to 'see' the real problems besides what we see on the television: People getting kicked out of their houses, after paying 20 years of mortgage, because a suited man is gambling in Wall Street. That's the image of the situation we get over here in Europe....

Nope, Canadian. So I'm quite happy with regulated banks. :)

I believe in progress and I do not think a stagnant political arena will get us any closer to the more perfect union promised. I support President Obama fully, he is an adequate leader and a fine spokesman for the land of the free, I was a student volunteer right along side my peers in 2008 when he ran, and we watched him get elected. This occupy wallstreet movement is the beginning of the end of corporate America if it achieves that message, though in terms of progress I don't know enough about the issues they're attempting to address specifically to offer any kind of advice for what an ideal outcome would be. I find the notion that America still has the ability to lead the world into a sustainable and progressive future regardless of senseless political dogma.

To be fair, I think part of the reason they don't have a coherent set of demands is that, right now, the point is to show that there is a lot of people dissatisfied with the current system. By keeping the coalition broad enough, they might get enough mass to get some politicians to adopt their ideas, while a more focused group would be dismissed as a crazed fringe.

@Kjølen: While I agree with the belief that it's cyclical, to me the downturn appears more like the trigger for a protest, while other policies have provided fuel for the content of those protests. If inequality hadn't increased, bailouts hadn't happened etc I'm not sure people would be out on the street shouting the same thing.

As an aside, does your name mean anything? Because in my language it translates as keel:p

• 1 month later...

The message of the movement becomes less important the more footwork is done to support it, though the message remains important to the overall cause. I think the idea is to connect the occupy movement to the bank failures and bailouts of a few years ago and to bank fraudulence generally. Thats just what I know off the top of my head, couldn't say any more about what they intend to do.

Archived