Home

Space on Rails (Zero grams of exploration)

Snarils

I guess, while enjoyable.. it's not what I was hoping for, especially after having played SWG for so long and loving the space exploration, ship customization.

Outside of the missions, which are fine on rails. It would be nice if they added the ability to fly into space and explore... maybe come across hulls of destroyed ships.. which could be entered and explored for loot..etc.

Or just finding random groups of enemy fighters.

SWG didn't even have ship at release. So we're already a step up from that. lol Heck... now that I think of it, we didn't even have speeders... everything was on foot...

I would expect this will be one of the first expansions, (Adding in proper space combat, flight, etc.) along with capital ships for guilds.

There is no need for a bleak outlook. There are many things to consider.

For one, this game is brand spanking new. Look at any MMO that has ever been: what features existed at launch compaired to what features players enjoyed later? The amount of time it takes to develop an MMO properly is more than Alpha and Beta testing.

Second, Bioware is the ace in the hole. I've played games by Square Enix, CCP, Blizzard, Sony, Valve... Hell, I've been playing games since before the joystick was invented! The point is I've never had a Bioware game I didn't like. They are always full of detail and the replay of those games is almost timeless. I can't say that about any of the other devs I've mentioned.

Try the game first. See what is there before you worry about what isn't there. You may be surprised.

This talk of "Rails" is, frankly, silly. Of course there are Rails. I've played EVE for 4 years and what is lauded as a "sand box" game only offers you a few ways to play in that sand box. There is no true "boundless", of if you will, "Railess" game because there will always be a limit on what a game can give you. Even in a real sand box you are confined by what you can do with sand.

If you want truly boundless entertainment, go outside and play.

Don't get me wrong, I've been in beta for TOR and I love the game.. I can't wait to play it at retail.

Yes, I know that SWG did not have Jump to Lightspeed at launch.. but they had also told everyone that they planned to add space travel / combat in their first expansion, which they did the next year.

If Bioware has commented that they have plans to expand on or revamp the space aspect of The Old Republic, I'm cool with that and I'll be happy to wait to see it.

The game at launch should be enough to keep me glued to my PC for a good long time.. without any content added for a while.

• 2 weeks later...
He means the space combat is based on an on-rails shooter type of gameplay similar to a game like Starfox.

Do you remember what it was like in Kotor? Your ship didn't even MOVE! You were just a turret!

And anyway. I LOVE starfox games.

That gives me another idea for a ship name that WOULD crop up. "Doabarrelroll"

Don't get me wrong, I've been in beta for TOR and I love the game.. I can't wait to play it at retail.

Yes, I know that SWG did not have Jump to Lightspeed at launch.. but they had also told everyone that they planned to add space travel / combat in their first expansion, which they did the next year.

If Bioware has commented that they have plans to expand on or revamp the space aspect of The Old Republic, I'm cool with that and I'll be happy to wait to see it.

The game at launch should be enough to keep me glued to my PC for a good long time.. without any content added for a while.

I think most of us are hoping that the first expansion includes these ideas from the 'Wall of Crazy' as the devs call it; 1) 3D Space, 2) Capital Ships for Guilds and 3) Customizable and DIFFERENT ships for players. That is an expansion I would gladly pay for. Heck... I did in Galaxies... and that didn't have capital ships.

Archived