Home

Assassin's Creed: My Beef

LordOfTheFish

So I purchased Assassin's Creed a few months ago and it just sat on my shelf for awhile. A week ago I decided to give it a go. I noticed from the beginning the controls were a bit strange, and getting your character to go where you want him to go isn't the easiest thing in the world. My biggest issue with it is how repetitive the game has gotten. I'm an on the final mission ( I believe ) now. I'm not very impressed and the only redeeming factor has been the interesting story line.

Ive been told AC games have gotten better with each title released, and I want to believe it.

What are you opinions? This is a series I want to get into but I just cant. Maybe I'm being stubborn, maybe I'm not, but is it worth buying AC2 or will I just be disappointed yet again?

I only truly liked the first one. While the sequel and spin-offs offer more variety on missions and new mechanics, I thought that the sequel made the character feel less like an assassin (how the character works and why, the tenets, etc... All that was ignored) and was more focused on the "cool/badass factor". Unfortunately, that's what sells today.

You'll need to play Brotherhood to at least have a vague idea wtf is going in in AC3 I would think. I probably enjoyed it more than AC2, but AC1 was still the best over all, despite the repetitiveness of the unlocking sub-quest process for each mission.

Btw, aren't there already existing threads for all 3 games that this could have been posted in?

A lot of people didn't like the first Assassin's Creed, but I've always defended it fiercely. Maybe my love for history makes me overlook some of its faults, but I enjoyed the story and the gameplay, even if it's repetitive.

The next two AC games really did improve the gameplay and gave more variety to it. And the environment became a lot more overwhelmingly beautiful. The chapter during Venice's carnaval in the evening are amazing, in my opinion. Also, even though Desmonds story is still quite slow, his sequences haven't been as much of a bore as they were in the first game. He even gets some action. Still, it's possible that you won't like the games if you didn't like the first one.

By the way, I'm definitely not a multiplayer person but the AC:Brotherhood multiplayer was surprisingly fun (and not quite hard to learn or be succesful at). Like DP said, if it turns out Revelations is the game everyone should play, you'd do best to play Brotherhood to know what's happening, because it could get quite confusing otherwise.

In any case, AC II can be bought for €10 or maybe less these days (I saw a used copy for the PS3 not long ago in a gamestore), so you wouldn't risk much trying it out.

While the sequel and spin-offs offer more variety on missions and new mechanics, I thought that the sequel made the character feel less like an assassin (how the character works and why, the tenets, etc... All that was ignored) and was more focused on the "cool/badass factor". Unfortunately, that's what sells today.

That's kind of why I'm hesistent to purchase AC2. I don't want it to be based off of "OMG I'm jumping off a church steeple into a barrel of hay!!!1!!1!!"

Btw, aren't there already existing threads for all 3 games that this could have been posted in?

There may be, but I didn't want to tie it down to a specific game. This is more of a "your thoughts on" type thread and less of a gameplay/features discussion.

A lot of people didn't like the first Assassin's Creed, but I've always defended it fiercely. Maybe my love for history makes me overlook some of its faults, but I enjoyed the story and the gameplay, even if it's repetitive.

I will agree with you there. The storyline is rich and so interesting. Ive even done some research on it to see what is fiction based and what is factual.

The next two AC games really did improve the gameplay and gave more variety to it. And the environment became a lot more overwhelmingly beautiful. The chapter during Venice's carnaval in the evening are amazing, in my opinion. Also, even though Desmonds story is still quite slow, his sequences haven't been as much of a bore as they were in the first game. He even gets some action. Still, it's possible that you won't like the games if you didn't like the first one.

By the way, I'm definitely not a multiplayer person but the AC:Brotherhood multiplayer was surprisingly fun (and not quite hard to learn or be succesful at).

See, this is partially why I want to give the later titles a go. I feel like there was a lot of room for improvement from the first game. I may just have to pick up a copy of AC2 if it's not to expensive.

In some ways I prefer the simplicity of AC1. All the extra gadgets they added in AC2 and ACB occasionally had their moments, but now with the myriad of bombs, the hook blade, and god knows what else being added to ACR, it's getting to the point of overload (so much so that they have had to split it into two menus as I understand). And the combat is still just a procession of guys lining up one at a time waiting to be massacred. They'd be better served fixing that rather than just adding more crap to stash under your jumper.

That's kind of why I'm hesistent to purchase AC2. I don't want it to be based off of "OMG I'm jumping off a church steeple into a barrel of hay!!!1!!1!!"

When it comes to repetitiveness, the sequels don't have it. If your only problem was variety, I think there is nothing wrong with giving them a chance. However, when I talked about ignoring the rules and investing on the "cool/badass factor", I was talking about things like two hidden blades, for example. It's just show off, nothing more. An assassin is supposed to be invisible and subtle like in the first game. I've only bought the first game because I think it deserved that.

The best part of Assassin's creed in my opinion was this trailer;

Ah. Love how they satirize the badass factor I was talking about: "Take a second to look awesome. Time to go. Walk in slow-motion so you still look awesome. (...) But don't mind him, just keep looking awesome. Guard says 'Stop!'. Just kill him with your awesome." :p

When it comes to repetitiveness, the sequels don't have it. If your only problem was variety, I think there is nothing wrong with giving them a chance. However, when I talked about ignoring the rules and investing on the "cool/badass factor", I was talking about things like two hidden blades, for example. It's just show off, nothing more. An assassin is supposed to be invisible and subtle like in the first game. I've only bought the first game because I think it deserved that.

I guess this is what I needed to hear. As long as it's not a repeat of the first game with a different targets and story I suppose it's worth a play through.

The best part of Assassin's creed in my opinion was this trailer;

:lol:

I was going to do a huge wite-up of my opinion of the series so far but then realised that I had already done that lol: http://www.twilightlynk.com/2010/01/09/game-spotlight-assassins-creed-assassins-creed-ii/

But to add to that, I do think that the folks over at Ubisoft have done a great job with Brotherhood as well and have found ways to further refine the gameplay and make things more interesting.

So yes, I do agree with the opinion that each of the games in the main series have gotten better. While the first game had its obvious bugs, those were ironed out in the second and the controls refined, then Brotherhood further refined the gameplay... I wonder much better Revelations will be to Brotherhood.

I bought all of the three on Steam in the summer sale (27 e for three pretty new games was irresistible), and finally got around to playing them. The first one was boring as hell most of the time, the lack of subtitles meant that i was completely clueless most of the time as all of the characters spoke in horrible pseudo mid-east accents, and Altair was an annoying ass. But still, the actual assassinations were great. AC2 on the other hand I liked more, except that it didnt really feel like a continuation of the first game and the way the guy (cant remember his name, and i finished the game last night...) approached killing people way too casually. And, after killing hundreds of people, among which were a few who were controlled and innocent themselves, he decides to leave the main bastardo (see, i learned Italian :xp: ) alive... That made me facepalm hard. But the ending was pretty funky otherwise, and the fact how minorve stares directly at the player was cool in my opinion. Im going to play Brotherhood next, but im not really expecting much from it. I will most likely buy Revelations when its on sale as well, but there is no way im spending 70 e on this sort of lame crap :xp:

I've always just stuck with the 360 versions of the games... *looks around*

Me too. I can't imagine trying to play AC on my computer...

You're not alone.. hehehe

Most of the games I get nowadays are for the console.

I usually reserve my pc for the larger sandbox games and the moddable ones. Doesn't mean I don't get them for my xbox too (keeps me honest), but I digress :xp:

• 2 weeks later...

Can't be that lame if you are planning on buying the 4th instalment, even at a discounted price. Unless you are some sort of masochist.

You are right, it cant be that lame. But still pretty lame :xp: And by lame I dont exactly mean bad, but just oddly campy.

That made a lot of sense...

By the way, I have been playing Brotherhood, and man that game is actually good! Its like they actually listened to what people didnt like about the first two parts and fixed them. Even Ezio is a much better character now that he has grown up, and training assassins has to be the most addicting meta-game i have ever played. Im liking this part a lot more than the first two, enough to actually look forward to Revelations.

Archived