Home

KOTOR crash issue (Windows 7 on Steam)

ArwingAce

I know what you're thinking "If he would just read the 400,000 other help threads instead of clotting the board with this one he'd solve his problem." I've scrolled through countless threads on the Steam forum and this one, and although my problem may be similar, my results from the help are not.

The game will start, and will sometimes make it to the main menu (when it doesn't it just minimizes and I can't bring it back up). On these joyous occasions when I make it to the main menu and then load my game the same thing always happens: When I fly to a new location in the Ebon Hawk, it crashes.

Now I've been playing the game for about 7 and a half hours error free, and now all of a sudden I'm crashing constantly. I've tried running as administrator, downloading DirectX, restarting, alt-tabbing out, screaming at the computer, and every other patch or fix I could lay eyes on. So far I'm completely impressed with this game, and would like to continue playing as soon as possible.

I'm running it on a Toshiba Satellite A665D if that helps. Thanks in advance for any help!

I encountered this problem myself on the CD version. What I had to do was disable the movies, and have KOTOR start in windowed mode. Be sure to start a new game/load a save game before you put KOTOR in full screen. It may appear to stop responding while trying to click the new/load game buttons but just wait a minute and it will work.

From the Vista/7 installation guide:

11) If the game is crashing or exiting to the desktop whenever a movie tries to play, you may need to enable support for 640x480 resolution in your graphics driver control panel to allow movies to play.

12) If the game still won't load for whatever reason, it might be a good idea to disable the intro ad movies by renaming their files. This is also handy if you just don't want to sit through them. These are located in the "movies" folder, which is in the main game folder. The files in question are:

KotOR 1: biologo.bik; leclogo.bik; legal.bik

KotOR 2: leclogo.bik; legal.bik; ObsidianEnt.bik

In each case you can just change their file extension from "bik" to "bak" and they'll be skipped.

• 3 years later...

Archived