Home

Grand Theft Auto 5

DarthParametric

IGN are saying the protagonist is an older Tommy Vercetti (the protagonist from GTA: Vice City). I didn't think it sounded like Ray Liotta though.

Okay, do you mind reminding me where Vice City finished off? As in, what happened? Would be good to find out where it picks up in GTA V

Okay, do you mind reminding me where Vice City finished off? As in, what happened? Would be good to find out where it picks up in GTA V
It reads like it was written by a 12 year old, but this should give you a general overview - http://gta.wikia.com/Grand_Theft_Auto:_Vice_City#Storyline

Oh great, it sounds like were going to go from being the baby sitter of annoying cousins to actual children.
The Tommy thing probably needs to be taken with a grain of salt, but assuming for a moment that it is him, it's worth keeping in mind that it has been about 25 years since the events of Vice City (assuming GTA5 is set in/around the current day, which it would appear to be). Thus, any kids he would have may well be old enough to be independent.

On a semi-related note, it would be nigh on 20 years since the events of San Andreas. Presumably CJ will make some sort of cameo in his old stomping grounds. He is likely a family man as well by this point (assuming he is still alive and not in prison).

The press release (what there is of it) that went along with the trailer:

We are very proud to officially announce that Grand Theft Auto V is in full development.

Developed by series creator Rockstar North, Grand Theft Auto V heads to the city of Los Santos and surrounding hills, countryside and beaches in the largest and most ambitious game Rockstar has yet created.

A bold new direction in open-world freedom, storytelling, mission-based gameplay and online multiplayer, Grand Theft Auto V focuses on the pursuit of the almighty dollar in a re-imagined, present day Southern California.

Doesn't really tell us much, although it does confirm it is set in the present day. As I said before, that would make it about 25 years after VC, 20 years after SA and (theoretically) about 3-4 years after GTA4.

I'll be interested to see what this "bold new direction" is.

that would make it about 25 years after VC, 20 years after SA and (theoretically) about 3-4 years after GTA4.

I'll be interested to see what this "bold new direction" is.

Firstly, thanks for the link. Secondly, wouldn't that make Tommy too old to be the protagonist? Maybe involved somehow, but not the protagonist

Well like I said, the Tommy thing is pure speculation and to be taken with a grain of salt until confirmed either way by Rockstar. I saw a comments thread for a Kotaku article where someone mentioned Rockstar had previously said all GTA protagonists before Niko are dead by the time of GTA4 canonically, so that would seem to rule him out as anything other than a zombie protagonist, if true.

Leaving that aside for a moment, it would make him around 50-ish one would assume. I don't see that as a big deal. The trailer indicated someone vaguely middle aged, so that would fit (and is one reason why people jumped onto the Tommy bandwagon).

^^^Think like "infinite stairs" on Mario 64. Only out on the ocean.

You may well be in luck. Current rumours peg somewhere in California as the front runner for GTA5's location. Personally I'd prefer an all new location, but seeing as they reimagined Liberty City for GTA4, it's not out of the question they could reimagine San Andreas for GTA5. I guess we'll know one way or the other in just a few days.

Confirmed @ 0:32 in the trailer. So this is essentially GTA: San Andreas 2.

I want a GTA London: a european setting would really be something very differant.

I thought there already was a london 1969? True or not, I'd perhaps like to see somewhere different as well.

IGN are saying the protagonist is an older Tommy Vercetti (the protagonist from GTA: Vice City). I didn't think it sounded like Ray Liotta though.

Doubtful it will be a sequel of VC. Vice City left off, you just killed Sonny Forelli and his gang from Liberty City, it's mid 1986. You pretty much own Vice City now.

Six years later, the lovable, nervous, crack-headded coke sniffing, Jew-Bagel (an affectionate term I use for my jewish family members and frieends irl :D) Lawyer Ken Rosenberg has been ousted by Vercetti, has come to san andreas, gone through rehab, and teamed up with protagonist Carl Johnson. Even has a flashback to vice city in one mission.

It is doubtful Tommy is still alive, as he probably did not give up his life of crime. If he is still alive, he was about 35 in 1986...fast forward to ~2007 when GTA 4 approximately took place and Tommy would be around 56 years old by then and probably have a mammoth beer gut on his trim frame, be sluggish as all hell and not nearly as resilient...

The only hint about VC is Jimmy Peggorino's mission where you had to intercept boats with drugs from vice city iirc.

It reads like it was written by a 12 year old, but this should give you a general overview - http://gta.wikia.com/Grand_Theft_Auto:_Vice_City#Storyline

The Tommy thing probably needs to be taken with a grain of salt, but assuming for a moment that it is him, it's worth keeping in mind that it has been about 25 years since the events of Vice City (assuming GTA5 is set in/around the current day, which it would appear to be). Thus, any kids he would have may well be old enough to be independent.

Could it be Tommy's son? :dev9:

On a semi-related note, it would be nigh on 20 years since the events of San Andreas. Presumably CJ will make some sort of cameo in his old stomping grounds. He is likely a family man as well by this point (assuming he is still alive and not in prison).

Not so sure about that either. You'll see why I say that......

Well like I said, the Tommy thing is pure speculation and to be taken with a grain of salt until confirmed either way by Rockstar. I saw a comments thread for a Kotaku article where someone mentioned Rockstar had previously said all GTA protagonists before Niko are dead by the time of GTA4 canonically, so that would seem to rule him out as anything other than a zombie protagonist, if true.

Ahem...does anyone remember this R.I.P. grafitti in the first apartment of GTA 4? Right click and view image, best on a white background...

371px-RIP_graffiti_%28GTA4%29.png

Claude from GTA3, Tommy, Carl, Tony C., Victor Vance, umm yeah.

Leaving that aside for a moment, it would make him around 50-ish one would assume. I don't see that as a big deal. The trailer indicated someone vaguely middle aged, so that would fit (and is one reason why people jumped onto the Tommy bandwagon).

Nah I'd say it sounded like a guy something more like mid-late 30 ish, maybe 40s. I heard some rumor Peggorino was "Tommy" but that just doesn't fit to be honest.

GTA III's era (III, VC, SA) is a different continuity from GTA IV's era (IV, V), so I'm not expecting anyone from that era to appear on this game.

A nod no doubt.

Here's remarkably accurate side-by-side of the GTA5 trailer with a version done in San Andreas:

[youtube=hd]ftk3f_0WZww

And for those that want just the SA trailer by itself:

[youtube=hd]pS-DMvkH664

I love some of the crazy things in the SA version, like multi-car pileups, dodgy player animations, etc. That's the real GTA we all know and love. Not the sanitised scripted version Rockstar presented.

^^^If it makes you feel any better, many people of the GTA modding community who have invested quite a bit in the GTA3 era games that probably love you for saying that...and since you yourself are a modder, that would endear you to them all the more.

(If you have not tried out their tools and such, give it a whirl.)

Archived