Home

Fix for Triggering Domino Dialog in Grim Fandango

Jenni

You know that problem Grim Fandango has had since release with a whole section of dialog near the end of the game not triggering for most people?

On the Residual forums, giucam has finally figured out why that happens.

Apparently, the LUA file for Domino's second speech has the same check name as the LUA file for Domino's first speech. So if you talk to Domino in his office at the beginning of the game, you won't be able to talk to him the second time near the end of the game.

Luckily, giucam has also provided a step by step guide of how to fix this problem using Residual tools. It's all rather technical, so I created a little batch file that should automate the process. It uses Find And Replace Text to replace the text in the LUA file.

The dialog options for Manny's second meeting with Domino are rather lengthy, and most people never got to hear them. So now, finally, Domino will no longer be sitting silently at his office at the end of the world. Manny can finally get Domino to take those darn headphones off and talk to him. ;)

My zip file with the compiled Windows versions of the Residual tools and my batch file can be downloaded here.

Just unzip it into the same directory containing DATA000.LAB and run fixgrim.bat.

Hmm... now that I actually got to try the fix, I couldn't get it working. The game won't start and I need to reinstall to get it working again.

At first I thought there was something wrong with the batch file. For some reason the files couldn't be moved and it failed at "move *.exe data000". I then redid everything manually but the results were the same.

Not really sure where the problem is. I guess I'll keep trying later on.

Hmm... now that I actually got to try the fix, I couldn't get it working. The game won't start and I need to reinstall to get it working again.

At first I thought there was something wrong with the batch file. For some reason the files couldn't be moved and it failed at "move *.exe data000". I then redid everything manually but the results were the same.

Not really sure where the problem is. I guess I'll keep trying later on.

Did you run it in Residual or the original executable? It doesn't recompress the LUA file, so I'm not sure whether it runs in the original Grim. It should work fine with Residual though.

Did you run it in Residual or the original executable? It doesn't recompress the LUA file, so I'm not sure whether it runs in the original Grim. It should work fine with Residual though.

Ah, I thought it would also work without Residual. I guess it's working well nowadays so no reason not to use it.

Man, it's very strange to think that Dom is only silent at the end of the world if you've already spoken to him earlier in the game. I'm absolutely sure I've heard his spiel in-game before, but I can't believe I would go through the game without speaking to him first time round!

This is destined to be another enigma like the close-up of the dog in Monkey Island 1. I'm still convinced I've seen the close-up of that stupid dog in-game, even though we proved once and for all on this forum that the close-up isn't even in the game. ¬

I'm still pretty bloody sure my old Monkey Island 2 box said Largo was LeChuck's brother. Someone go find that box! ;

It's great to see this bug fixed, though — it's been the subject of no end of discussions over the years. I remember for quite some time it was largely accepted to have been removed in the patch for giving too much away, as everything became mostly clear a bit later on anyway. Clearly bogus. ¬¬

It's very weird to think something as significant as this was not only missing, but that the developers had no idea. Wonder how many other games this has affected! What's next, a hidden dialogue where LeChuck reveals himself to be the Voodoo Lady's sister?

I'm still pretty bloody sure my old Monkey Island 2 box said Largo was LeChuck's brother. Someone go find that box! ;

Some US Gold marketing spiel said MI2's plot centered on LeChuck's brother trying to take revenge on Guybrush. I don't think it was ever on a box, but it definitely was featured in two page magazine ads as well as in some previews.

Said marketers apparently got a lot of information mixed up. :~

Archived