Home

Friday Update: Jedi Consular Character Progression

News

The Update from BioWare this Friday brings with it a video on the character and armor progression for the Jedi Consular. A paragon representing the qualities of peace and diplomacy that the Jedi Order and the Republic stand for, watch as the Jedi Consular progresses in both ability and wardrobe to compliment her ascension as [...]

Read the full story at starwarsmmo.net...

I played a Sith Sorc for some of testing and game-play mechanic wise it is a lot of fun, but I didn't really enjoy how much of a sarcastic ***hole the male VA made me sound. Anyway, point being I'm sure the Sage plays similar so I think that eventually I'll for sure be rolling a Sage.

I’ve only slightly played around with both the Consular and Jedi Knight (as well as the Bounty Hunter), while concentrating mainly on the Smuggler. In my opinion, the Consular and the Jedi Knight stories are very similar, in the prologue at least, neither stood out as superior to the other and both included my favorite TOR moment so far. The main class quest for both Jedi classes did not seem quite on par with the Smuggler, but were very satisfying both in story and game play. Again, my personal opinion is the consular may be ever so slightly more appealing to me. Although I think it has more to do with personal taste than any real difference.

I didn’t play either Jedi class past level 10, so from a game play accept I’m unsure which is more appealing. I did find both fun, but neither were on par with the fun of playing a Smuggler. :) Only thing I do know for sure is my second character will be a Jedi, just haven’t decided which class yet, although I’m leaning towards a Consular.

Cool, thanks for the heads-up. Their being two distinct classes is kind of inaccurate from a canonical standpoint because a Jedi Consular is as Jedi Knight (or a Jedi Master). There are three ranks within the Jedi Order: Padawan, Knight and Master, but each Jedi also follows a fixed class specialization separate from his rank: Guardian, Sentinel, or Consular. While the ranks change, the classes do not.

I'm still undecided as to whether I want to play as a Jedi Knight or Jedi Consular the first time I play. What are the differences story- and game play-wise?
You could check out these two articles and see if anything there helps you decide:

Class Focus: Jedi Knight

Class Focus: Jedi Consular

/shameless plug

During testing I've only played as a Jedi Knight and the closest thing to a Consular would be the Sith Inquisitor. Story wise, for the Jedi Knight the quests were pretty typical tasks of what you would expect somebody in the position of Jedi Knight to undertake. I only made it to the second planet and the story was alright, but in general the stories don't really seem to pick up and become interesting until much later, at least judging by the BH I've been playing.

Gameplay wise I rolled a Jedi Sentinel so I was dual-wielding for dps, and survivability was a bit of an issue for me without a dedicated healing companion. I imagine the Guardian would be a bit easier being a tank, the BH I'm playing is a Tank and I haven't really run into many tough fights. The Consular on the other hand can go the Sage route and become a healer, I believe your first companion is a tank so that would work well together. The Jedi Shadow I don't really have much experience with but I imagine it plays more like a stealth rogue dps character, so that would also work well with a tank companion.

Archived