Home

Convert KOTOR Sounds to a usable audio file

Carsten2011b

I'm now here, so I don't know if this post belongs here or in the Holowan Laboratories section. Anyway, about 6 years ago (I was 10 at the time) I played and finished KOTOR and I really was amazed by it all, even by all the source files that was used to make the game. Starting around that time, I have been very interested in video game sounds (effects, voice, etc.) and have extracted sounds from many games to my personal collection.

Lately, I went to do the same with KOTOR and KOTOR II, but I keep getting these errors. I tried decompressing the files in Miles Sound Studio, but it keeps saying:

"Error: No codec found for requested input type".

The sounds I'm looking for are in the "Streamsounds" and "Streamwaves" folders and their respective sub-folders. (I already have the music BTW) Can anyone help me with this?

• 2 weeks later...

Well IIRC kotor sound files are .mp3's with an appended .wav extension. So technically they're .wav files. You should be able to open them, what are you trying to play them with? Also just a note that I'm only familiar with the voiceover files and have never even seen the other sound effects, so I'm just assuming they're the same. If not someone please step in...

The sound effects are in a different format than the music, and Miles will not read them properly. If I had to guess, I'd say it's because the music is mono, playing evenly throughout the entire level, while the sound effects are adaptive; they are placed in the module just like other object - what you hear is based on where your character is in the level and even in which direction you are facing. As far as I know, no one has yet cracked the format. You can, however, extract most of these sounds with KOTOR Tool (BIFs -> sounds.bif ->WAV Files); these extract as simple WAV files - no need to convert with Miles. For the ones that aren't in there, I find them in StreamSounds and copy them to Override, renaming them to replace some other sound effect, one from the game menu - such as gui_click.wav. That lets me hear the effect on its own, with no other game noises interfering. I then record my Windows audio with Audacity. It's a bit of a procedure, but most of them are in KOTOR Tool to begin with, so it's not so bad.

Archived