Home

Another alternative installer/launcher

Gownaar

I never got around to playing Grim Fandango until recently. Didn't have any technical problems with the game personally but since many people do, I thought it'd be a cool project to gather most common fixes in one box, make it automated and user friendly. I know there's Residual now, haven't tried it to be honest but it's not even beta yet and seems to be moving like a dead cheetah, so maybe this isn't completely outdated right in the start.

Features are listed on the installer's welcome page and launcher info can be found in a txt later so I'm not going to write about it here. The only thing to add is that beside CDs, GrimInstaller can also install from a folder (must be run from a location that contains GRIMDATA folder which contains all required files). If you care to check it out, let me know what you think.

Update:

GrimInstaller/GrimLauncher is now obsolete. It is recommended that you use ResidualVM to play Grim Fandango. There is no need to install the game, but you can use GrimCopy utility to setup game files for Residual.

DL:

https://www.mediafire.com/folder/dah0i9jmxaqnn/GrimInstaller

http://www.gamefront.com/files/user/Gownaar

Virus scans (VirusTotal): GrimInstaller, GrimCopy

Now that I read my post a day later, I realize it's kinda dumb to tell people to try something which they won't know exactly what it's about until they've tried it. So some more info is in order after all.

The idea behind GrimInstaller is to deliver the game patched out-of-the-box, patched meaning v1.01 + core affinity [Edit: added a patch for the untriggered dialogue bug]. Supports English, Spanish, Italian and French Grim version [Edit: German and Br. Portuguese added]. It also installs GrimLauncher, its most prominent feature being that it implements DDFix on an automated level so user doesn't have to run stuff before and after playing (it's optional, of course). I tinypasted GrimLauncher.txt and a screen of GrimInstaller can't hurt either:

griminstaller.png

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Installer:

- added partial support for the German game version [Edit: updated, should be less partial now :)].

- a slight redesign: cleaned up the welcome page and moved the info to a dedicated page

- some minor tweaking here and there

This is likely the final update [Edit: yeah, right]. I wish you all a grim new year.

Installer:

- some changes regarding the game's registry entries

- fixed an issue that could cause a DVD version to be treated as a CD

- minor cosmetic changes

Launcher:

- added the option to disable debug mode; this probably should've been included from the beginning

- fixed a stupid bug that could cause file check to return incorrect file count

This really should be the final update.

I always removed the old version when uploading a new one and wasn't keeping dl count but I think that so far, GrimInstaller has a total of something like 10 downloads. Not exactly a hit. Nonetheless, I had enough intrinsic motivation and I'm satisfied with the job done. For the most part, it seems that the Grim scene has moved on to the ninth underworld by now but it looks like something's happening with the Residual project after all. So the Number 9 will be safe to ride but I'm sure that every now and then there will be a lost soul who'll make use of my Excelsior line. :)

Been doing some postproject cleanup. I came to a dilemma about what to do with non-english game versions I had obtained for the sake of providing/testing support. I'm never going to play them since I don't speak the languages (just a bit of Italian) but deleting them was not an option because they were not easy to come by. Some of them are on the brink of extinction online and if I should ever need them again, they may be impossible to get. I have a serious diskspace problem (and no cash to do something about it) so the logical choice was to store them on dvd. Then I thought, why not make it proper? I put in a bit of extra work, made a modified version of installer and the result is:

griminstallerml.png

Some files are common across versions so instead of 6, the whole thing weighs 3.5 GB and fits comfortably on a DVD-5. So now I'm a proud holder of a Grim Fandango multilanguage disc.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Getting some fairly decent (relatively speaking) dl counts and no bug reports for a while now. There's nothing I want to add, remove, change or improve. It's kinda working fine and we'll leave it at that. I'd like to thank once more those who were willing to provide feedback. Had to write this one last post to give me some sense of closure. Plus it makes my post count a power of 2, can't have proper closure with postcount=31, maybe in some crazy zero-based universe but certainly not here.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Archived