Home

The Old Republic for Dummies

mimartin

Sweet, thanks guys, looking forward to it.

So anybody played Dark Side on the Republic side? Is it cool and worth it? Or should I save it for another character later?

Play whichever way you feel is right for your character. I have a light side Trooper and a dark side Smuggler but I don't really consider what is cool or worth it, I just play them because I envision their characters to be a certain way.

• Replies 950
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OK, i will accept both but lets do the scan first ...i have been pretty sure i needed one for a while..otherwise i wouldnt be coming back for more punishment at the hand of the legion of Evil Bosses.

I have been a Lynk fan ever since i saw him leap a 30 foot gap driving at top speed in a custom speeder, from the top of a certain location on Tatooine into the basket of another certain moving item and landed successfully. I was and am in awe.

He also took me shopping and showed me how to put on helmets the right side up, and where the zipper on the Sandsuit goes and where to plug in my light sabre..... so i am grateful for that too :)

I always went for what I thought would be the most funny. Pretty much just play for fun, and that's what you'll have. I will say this.. If you want to be bad, you have to pick your companion for that. Some REALLY don't like when you're mean/cruel/deranged. Others will laugh with you as you light someone on fire just so you can roast some marshmallows.

Cool, just started it up. My are the pre-game cinematics awesome!! Schweet!!! LOL Anyway, just joined up at TWC and sent in my applications. My characters name is Bastila-Wan. Wouldn't allow me to throw in Bologna for some reason. lol And it will be a female Jedi Knight Sentinal. Haven't even done the first mission yet. haha

ah ha, will be nice to see Bastila Shan back in the universe :) welcome and have fun, i wont be on for another day or so...so enjoy the start, yes the cinematics are 100 percent superb! Great start... plenty more good stuff ahead of you.

I have been a Lynk fan ever since i saw him leap a 30 foot gap driving at top speed in a custom speeder, from the top of a certain location on Tatooine into the basket of another certain moving item and landed successfully. I was and am in awe.

I reached the Dune Sea and saw the balloon off on the horizon as it was just about to reach the sandcrawler and knew that I had only one shot which is why I gunned it straight there and didn't stop for anything. I wish I had a video of it, it was pretty cool.

Once i get back in the game and can take the right picture, i can create a re enactment but this is me waving goodby to Lynk in the basket ...

lynkskypilot.jpg

his figure and speeder are simulated, i was not able to really see him after it got a fair distance away.

You are making good time to make it to the village, i guess you must have had a fun time cleaning up in the initial intro area, you can actually amass quite a bit of start up credit there. Others will have to respond to the server issues as i have not played since March, and things have changed, they consolidated a LOT of servers...hope someone has help for that. Glad you made it in. :)

You are making good time to make it to the village, i guess you must have had a fun time cleaning up in the initial intro area, you can actually amass quite a bit of start up credit there. Others will have to respond to the server issues as i have not played since March, and things have changed, they consolidated a LOT of servers...hope someone has help for that. Glad you made it in. :)

Yeah, I think I missed quite a bit of stuff though. haha I may just go back to the Temple and look around for stuff I missed again. And no, I didn't have a ton of credits really, mostly only credits were from looting. lol

If you wander around the village you and at the Temple you will find people with quests and missions for you, and that will unfold the story and get you to new areas :) Just dont expect an easy time of it, there are challenges everywhere :)

As far as server issues, they tend to be random at times. I have had days where I didn't have any server issues and days where I just gave up trying to play because I had too many. For me I mostly notice them on Monday which is the day they usually start a patch of some sort.

Well tuesday at 2am which is still monday for some people I guess. During that day is when I see the most server issues. There are some suggestions on the official website depending on your system as to what you can do about them but Ihaven't tried any of them.

Looks like i may have to check that stuff too, my system is struggling to play since they consoolidated the servers .i think they recoded and also the traffic is higher... i am going to defrag and see if that helps. I may have to get a better computer. we will see. It is hard to tell if the issues are server related or my own system.but i am getting stuttering and freezes.

Im just glad it saves where your at so you don't have to start over on something.

I would suggest when you are ready to quit, go to a rest area (cantina or ship) to stop for the day. Rest XP levels you way faster especially on your first character.

Thanks for that reminder about the rest area and parking the character... i had fogotten.

In case anyone else needs advice about Ability trees, i found a great link that Lynk gave me, for a skill and ability calculator..here it is..this page is set for my character and class as it is now: Jedi Knight Guardian but you can set it for any...

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#500ZcGMRMudk.2

All of my skill points were reset i see that was a general reset.

Can anyone give me some basic advice about how to decide which if the myriad skill points may be useful to follow for a basic DPS Jedi Knight Guardian? Lynk gave me the calculator link:

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#500ZcGMRMudk.2

and the descriptions are useful but i am still puzzled by how to decide what may actually help us make our character more effective in battle? So far i have had a hard time with the toughest fights and tho people advise to learn what our characters strengths and weakness are, it is hard to do that and there is no teaching of it in the game other than experience that i can see. suggetions welcome.

A couple of things i am unclear about:

What is Focus and how does it imapct on combat? As i understand it , we gain it from certain skills or abilities and it is used up in certain acts.

Also what is meant by stacks? i didnt understand the use of stacks in the descriptions of skills. I know these are basic things but it is better to ask than to try to guess....

While leveling I would just pick one and put all my points in it. Once you hit 50 you can repec to a more hybrid spec. It just makes leveling easier, but some of the skills you will not use in groups once you have your full rotation down.

Vigilance

Focus

First I think you better understand what DoT are if you are playing the Vigilance tree. DoT is damage over time.

Stacks are a buff or debuff that build up on you character or on the character you are attacking. They will tell you which attack should take Priority and which attack you need to use to build up stacks for other attacks. It looks like two of the stacks you will be looking for are Sunder Armor (debuff) and Force Rush. There may be others so read and turn the pages too as it shows you other useful information too. Like Stat Priority, Item Modification and Builds.

Archived