Home

The Old Republic for Dummies

mimartin

No it does not level up, unless, you put different armor, mods, enhancements and augments in it. The armor in the cartel store is adaptive, meaning any toon can use it...you just have to put in the correct mods, armor, enhancements and augments to match your class and role.

I would also suggest looking under legacy for unlocks...see if any of those that you want to unlock with cartel coins instead of credits, like rocket boost, quick travel cooldown... However if looks are more important to you, then buy the Valiant Armour, just be sure to fix the mods to fit you class/roll and keep it updated with mods as you level.

• Replies 950
  • Created
  • Last Reply
just wondered...... anyone try it yet?

I have. It looks awesome, but you'll definitely need to keep a hold of those commendations and credits (or find someone to make mods for you) to put decent modifications into the whole set, and even then you'll still come across quest rewards that might have slightly better stats until you can replace the mods with higher level ones.

So a quick qeustion about the exalted gear and legacy perks.

1. The exalted belt and bracers which allow you to put an armor and mod in. I have noticed many people with endgame armor in these as in 61-63 but all the endgame armor in equipment you get seems to be bonded to chest feet hands etc. Do I have to get someone to craft this armor for me for the belt and bracers?

2. I have noticed with my Slinger at lvl 50 I get certain legacy perks like a punch jab uppercut when I reach certain Valor ranks. I have a Sent lvl 25 who has Rank 11 Valor and has unlock 2 of these perks for my 3 characters. When I get my other 2 toons to 50 do they have similiar perks that will unlock for all my toons as all 3 have gotten the punch and jab even tho only 1 is at Valor 11? Also when they reach lvl 50 does that mean my smuggler will have their buffs to add to his own since his buff is already added to theirs?

1. The exalted belt and bracers which allow you to put an armor and mod in. I have noticed many people with endgame armor in these as in 61-63 but all the endgame armor in equipment you get seems to be bonded to chest feet hands etc. Do I have to get someone to craft this armor for me for the belt and bracers?
Crafting, buying off GTN or getting lucky with a drop. Unslotted armor does drop on some bosses in Ops, but it is rare and thus far it has never been one that I could use.

Columi, Rakata, Black Hole and Campaign all have belts and bracers, but it is not slotted. However Hazmat gear does have slotted belt and mods, so to get one of these you have to do NIM EC or HM TfB. Even then, at least the one for my sawbones was a joke. Way endurance heavy, so I removed the mod from the belt and replaced it with a BH mod until I can get a better mod for that level.

Unless you are doing NIM EC or HM TfB...I wouldn't worry about a 27 armoring, look for unslotted campaign or below. It is way cheaper and more than enough to get through any content.

Also when they reach lvl 50 does that mean my smuggler will have their buffs to add to his own since his buff is already added to theirs?
Nope...you have to get a second toon to the end of chapter 2 to get their buff. Now a level 1 toon with get their buff plus the smuggler buff, unless you make a agent, in which case you will only get the agent buff since it is the same buff.

For the legacy attacks under historic moments, you have to complete the class story for that to be added to your legacy.

Is it just me or is the armor "merge colors" option seriously bugged? I can't seem to be able to customize individual pieces...

Yeah, it's been like that since 1.6 launched.

To get the look you want, you'll have to match all, then unequip and reequip the individual pieces you don't want colour matched to the chest piece. That's my solution at least until BioWare fixes it.

probably quicker to do warzone

Dudebro's got a point.

Faster than instant? :xp: She is a healer, not some dime a dozen dps....

Joking, got instant by signing up for both HM and reqular FP. Got The Red Reaper which was cool since Bremiaha had never done it. I had done it solo on Mar'ina earlier in the day. Easy once I figured out why SV-3 was one-shotting me. :D

It was pretty funny healing this on Brem...I could dps the hell out of it and then hit the people with one heal to top them off even if they were down to like 10%. May have been the first time ever I lead a group in HPS and DPS.

So on my main toon I have all the datacrons and the +10 cron. On my other two toons I am picking up the Crons as I go thru from planet to planet with a buddy.

There are plenty of guides online and on youtube that can help with datacrons.

But I want to know if there is a guide on how to find the rest of the codex entries? Like where the Lore Objects are and things.

I think it's SWTOR Spy Database that has a guide for both the datacrons and other codex entries. There's been some discontent because the codex can't be completed (this was some time ago, but I fear this is something that still hasn't been fixed). This because entries for certain planets/species/classes show up on every codex and for example, a smuggler can never get the entries for Korriban.

• 2 weeks later...

Am putting this here because I don't know if I can become a member to the Walking Carpets website even tho I am not a member of the WC guild so I will ask this here.

On the Walking Carpets website you guys have been adding what to do with certain classes as for how to use the skill tree and what items are best and such things.

On the Gunslinger one by Mav he mentions 2 BIS Relics in Dread Guard Relic of Boundless Ages and Dread Guard Relic of Dark Radiance as Best In Slot Relics.

Now I have been told repeatedly you want to boost your main stat as high as possible as it gives bonuses to your other stats so why wouldn't the Matrix Cube that gives you 88 Cunning be considerd as a BIS Relic for the Gunslinger?

And I just want to say I appreciate all the things you guys do on that website as it has helped me level my other toons to be the best they can be.

They just had me go away from the Matrix cube on my sawbones...Really hard to get rid of that cunning. They way they told it to me though, if I clicky the clicky relic the power will more than offset the loss of cunning, however if I don't clicky, I was better off with the matrix cube. Only did the first boss in HM EC since getting the clicky relic, but it seem to really boost the amount of my heals and that meant I was healing less so my energy was pretty close to 50% the entire fight and I had full energy when Toth and Zorn died. I even manged to do some dps there. Really would have love to finish the ops to see if that just wasn't a fluke, but lag issues on the tank caused us to give up.

that brings me to another question. What do you mean by clicky? I just have the relics in the relic slot do you keep some on a quickbar and interchange them during fights?

I bought both relics he recommended I just haven't aug'ed them yet, I mean I had almost 950 daily comms so I figured I miight as well upgrade right? L

With the matrix cube aug'ed I have like 96 cunning from it alone.

that brings me to another question. What do you mean by clicky? I just have the relics in the relic slot do you keep some on a quickbar and interchange them during fights?

I bought both relics he recommended I just haven't aug'ed them yet, I mean I had almost 950 daily comms so I figured I miight as well upgrade right? L

With the matrix cube aug'ed I have like 96 cunning from it alone.

One should be passive (equip and forget), the other will have some stats that are passive, but for the full benefit, you will have to equiped it, but also put it on you quickbar and click on it every two mins. So you must activate it for it to be better than you Martix cube.

does it matter which is passive, slotwise I mean I can choose either or to be the clicky relic?

I guess what I mean is you have a top slot and a bottom slot. I have the matrix cube in the top slot and another one in the bottom slot, If I want the bottom one to be the clicky one do I have to move it to the top slot or does it matter?

The Dread Guard Relic of Boundless Ages is the clicky one... it give 64 Endurance 47 Power passively, but another 350 power when you click it.

Dread Guard Relic of Dark Radiance is passive.

So put Dread Guard Relic of Boundless Ages on quickbar and click it. I have to learn to click it too. Upgrade my healer and knight with Dread Guard Relics too.

sweet so it doesn't matter which slot it is just which one you put on the quickbar, once I aug both of those I will add them.

Thanks Mim I know I have other questions too I just can't think of them right off the bat.

The Shadowlands server I don't think is quite as up to par as Harbinger is, it has been said only 3 groups have ever completed Nightmare Mode on anything and alot of them don't even try Hard mode ops.

I left my guild simply because they did ops during the week when I was at work and when I was available for HMOps it seemed like we would get to the first boss 3 wipse and then people had other things to do. I love the people in the guild as they were really great and treated you good but I needed something more akin to me progressing as ooposed to standing still and being ok with it.

I have my friend convinced that if paid transfers come along to try to transfer to the Harbinger and see if we could join up. He was ready to right away until he realized it was a different server.

Anyways thanks again

Am putting this here because I don't know if I can become a member to the Walking Carpets website even tho I am not a member of the WC guild so I will ask this here.

On the Walking Carpets website you guys have been adding what to do with certain classes as for how to use the skill tree and what items are best and such things.

On the Gunslinger one by Mav he mentions 2 BIS Relics in Dread Guard Relic of Boundless Ages and Dread Guard Relic of Dark Radiance as Best In Slot Relics.

Now I have been told repeatedly you want to boost your main stat as high as possible as it gives bonuses to your other stats so why wouldn't the Matrix Cube that gives you 88 Cunning be considerd as a BIS Relic for the Gunslinger?

And I just want to say I appreciate all the things you guys do on that website as it has helped me level my other toons to be the best they can be.

Sorry, I really don't browse the LFN forums as much as I probably should so I didn't see this sooner. Also as far as being able to post on the forums at thewalkingcarpets.com, if you create an enjin account, you should be able to post in the non-member areas, which are the ones you can see as a guest anyway, I'll have to get confirmation on that later.

Now to answer your specific question regarding the BiS relics for the Gunslinger, first lets clear up that initial misinformation that is confusing you.

Now, generally speaking what you heard about focusing on increasing your main stat as much as possible is for the most part correct. However it is important to know what exactly our main stat gives us. 1 point in Cunning is equal to .2 points of bonus damage and a very marginal increase in Critical Chance. So to put this in practical terms, every 100 points of Cunning translate to our attacks hitting for approximately 20 more damage. Of our secondary stats, 1 point of Power equates to a .24 bonus damage increase, so every 100 points in Power is equal to 24 more damage on average.

So now you'd think, well I should be stacking Power instead of Cunning, well that's not exactly true either. Pretty much all Gunslinger specs will take the talent points that increase our Cunning by 9%, so basically every 100 points in Cunning you add, you actually get 109 points. Now in this example the 100 points in Power still add more straight bonus damage than the resultant 109 points in Cunning, but what's not factored in is the bonus Critical chance from the Cunning.

So long story short it is all about what your choices are and which piece of gear gives you the best overall outcome. So let's take a look at mods first. Now if you were to pick the highest Cunning mods, you would pick up the Advanced Artful Mod 27A, they give 72 Cunning and 13 Power, the other choice is the Advanced Artful Mod 27, which gives you 56 Cunning and 44 Power. Taking what we know, lets do basic math and figure out what bonus to damage each mod gives us...

Artful 27A = (72*.2)+(13*.24) = 17.52

Artful 27 = (56*.2)+(44*.24) = 21.76

As you can see, trading 16 points in Cunning for 31 points in Power, benefits us greatly, so stacking Cunning isn't always the right choice. Again not factored in is the marginal increase in Critical Chance from Cunning, but that increase will not compensate for a 4 point damage spread.

Anyway, as is so often the case with me, none of this really applies that much to the whole topic of the relics, and I've gotten very far from that topic. So back to the relics.

As far as the Dread Guard Relic of Dark Radiance goes, there are very lengthy discussions and number crunchers all over the official SWTOR forums and elsewhere that state that the DPS gain from the damage proc relics is greater than the Matrix Cube by far, and the static Power increase from the PvP Relics as well. As for why the Dark Radiance variation of Proc relics, well that would be because it uses your Tech crit chance to determine how often it crits, the other procs use different crit chances, some use Force crit, which obviously as Gunslingers we don't have.

Now as for the Dread Guard Relic of Boundless Ages vs. the Matrix Cube, again we can defeat that debate with some simple math...

For arguments sake lets say the fight lasts 5 minutes, or 300 seconds

The Matrix Cube gives us 88 Cunning flat, at all times...

88*.2 = 17.6 * 300 seconds = 5280 over 5 minutes

Dread Guard Relic of Boundless Ages gives us a static 47 point increase to Power, and on-use increase of 350 power for... 20 seconds I think... it's 20 or 30, let's just say 20 to play it safe, and with a 2 minute cooldown we can use the relic twice over a 5 minute period

47*.24 = 11.28 * 300 seconds = 3384 over 5 minutes however, lets add in the on-use bonus....

350*.24 = 84 * 20 seconds * 2 uses = 3360 + 3384 from static power = 6744 over 5 minutes

So, Matrix Cube 5280, DG Boundless Ages, 6744.

so the math part and equations kinda flew right over my head there Mav but I do understnad what you are saying as to why one might be better than the other. As I told Mim I had no idea you could put one in your quickbar and click it every 2 minutes.

I do read the website alot to find out what I should be doing differently and tho my skill tree looks slightly different than the one you posted it is the one that works for me and the rotation is pretty much what I use as well.

I thank you for the info you have posted there as well as here and already bought both relics and made the kits to aug them and can't wait to try them out.

Thanks again

Archived