Home

The Old Republic for Dummies

mimartin

Okies, now I haz a question. >.>

About gear. I don't know if there's any overlap or not between these categories, but my question is: which kinds of gear are the best? Say, you have a Level 50 or whatever. I mean, I know artifact is the best quality, but where are the best artifacts?

1. Vendors

2. Craftable

3. Drops

4. Something else I'm not thinking of.

• Replies 950
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Any gear with modification slots are the best since you can then customise it with the appropriate armouring, mods and enhancements as well as augments to get the stats you need.

Doesn't matter where they come from, just as long as they have the slots to put modification into, though your best bet for the best modifications to put in there come from end game content such as hard mode flashpoints and operations.

Yeah, that's the other thing. Customizable gear all seem to have the same base stats, it's just their looks that are different? Like I have an Esseles tunic and got another armor later on with better modifications. After taking the mods out of each, they had the same stats. Same thing with two different custom lightsabers.

Yup, in essence all customizable gear has the same base stats (adjusted for light/medium/heavy armor), the trick is to get better mods to put in there. And the best mods are found through Flashpoints/Operations/Dailies.

Also, Mav, don't worry, the math wasn't for nothing, I got it. :p Was already aiming for more Power instead of Aim for my Merc, now I know exactly why. :)

granted there is a bonus for having 3/5 and 4/5 Rakata Tionese or Columni gear. If you have 3 or 4 of any of those you get a bonus to certain stats depending on what class you are.

The bonuses are for Head Chest Legs Gloves and Feet if I'm not mistaken.

That is why they are always saying putting mods in Rakata shells.

Granted the Tionese gear is pretty hideous for a trooper and for a smuggler I hope you like capes. :)

I've actually not been buying equipment from vendors (with credits anyway). My gear and mods come from drops and commendations. Seems to do me fine. Also, I don't want to go to great lengths to get myself completely geared up with everything as good as possible, spending a ton of credits to do so, only to have to do the same thing in another couple of levels.

I have 100k credits at Lvl 28, and really the only things I spend them on are medpacs, stims, and crew skill missions xD

Although I will splurge if there's a good item that takes up a slot I don't already have something in. (Like when I bought relics from the LS vendor)

Vendors usually sell nothing anyway. Speciality vendors on planets may have, but I generally forget them and when returning already got better stuff.

The most money investment is crew skills, legacy upgrades (which are powerful though), more inventory space (I don't want to go to vendors all the time) and if you hit the GTN (in my case, for items to use in artifice crafting, can get expensive pretty quick).

I just reached Legacy Level 1 at level 25 or so. o_O Still have a while to go lol. But I've unlocked Punch wooooohoooooo -__-

I actually don't know too much about legacy upgrades or whatnot.

Yeah, I can see how getting crafting materials would be expensive quick. I'm f2p (at least for now, that may change), so I only get one skill slot. I chose slicing, so I don't have any crafting to buy things for or gathering things to sell.

What's the point of crafting anyway? Flashpoint drops end up being better than anything craftable, or so I'm told, and it's a grind and expensive to get good at it. Might as well just buy crafted stuff off the GTN...less of a grind that way. xD I don't even bother with that. Like I said, commendations and drops have done me well.

No going to set here and way crafting isn't a grind, but I will say I can craft implants and medpacs on my main for alts better than anything that will drop in flashpoints while leveling. However, to get to that point it was a grind. I had to craft an RE over and over to go from greens, to blues to purples.

If I only had one slot, leveling I think slicing would be my pick too. Very easy credit with slicing. However, after 50 and augmented, then biochem would be my pick for reuseable, medpacs, stims and adrenals. However, as long people need augments, they need mats, so slicing will continue to make credits.

Yeah, I picked slicing too when F2P, there really is no other choice if you just have 1 slot.

With sub I added artifice and treasure hunting.

Missions from slicing sell good on gtn, as well as purples from hunting. Artifice has been for myself so far. Although now I hope at 400/lvl 50 I can make some stuff to sell. Here's to hoping it will 0_o

I am really new for MMO game, and I am thinking that SWTOR might be a good choice for me because I love the movie. Then, I read some review about the game. Most people complaints about it. So, I am not sure whether I should play this game.

Can anyone here tell me frankly is it fun or not?

Thanks

I am really new for MMO game, and I am thinking that SWTOR might be a good choice for me because I love the movie. Then, I read some review about the game. Most people complaints about it. So, I am not sure whether I should play this game.

Thanks

Everyone complains about video games nowadays. It's all waah, waah, waah first world problems :p

The game is free to play, just download it and try it for yourself, you'll figure out if it's fun from first-hand experience.

Thanks

I think you should just find out by yourself.

So me and my buddy got our Sith Sorcerer and Maurader up to lvl 50 which gives me 2 50's now and currently trying to get them geared.

Playing as a healer this time I realize they don't get a lot of love when they save the day and most of the blame when they wipe even tho it would help if the tank and dps would heal themselves between fights instead of just running from fight to fight. It has helped me more appreciate my healer when I am my dps and try to help out whenever I can.

But my question is next we both want to be Bounty Hunters and Troopers. If we both play a Bounty Hunter or Trooper at the same time and are leveling together do we have to do the class missions twice?

Like when we get to the green door and he goes in first so he owns the story do we then have to go back in the green door with me going first to own the story once we finish his?

Everyone complains about video games nowadays. It's all waah, waah, waah first world problems :p

True, but MMO players seem to take it to a all new level. Compine that with BioWare fans seem to be very vocal and the waah about TOR sounds more like

WAAH!

I can only speak from personal experience. There are bug, but the game has been a total blast to me personally and I was one of the those that waah before it came out because I wanted KotOR 3 and not a MMO.

But my question is next we both want to be Bounty Hunters and Troopers. If we both play a Bounty Hunter or Trooper at the same time and are leveling together do we have to do the class missions twice?

yes you will. Lynk and I finished our agents together and we had to do the missions twice. That and we just solo'ed the class stories at times to save time, but if you do them together, you will have to do them twice.

Yeah, zbyl and me are both Consulars (and turned to Jedi Shadows, bad choice being both DPS, but we were before starting to play together 0_o).

We generally did our class mission's solo, as to not do it double. Unless we had difficulty with a boss. Then we joined forces. And any boss in class missions dies incredibly easy to 2 people, let me tell you that.

Sometimes I had trouble and struggling for 4 minutes to fight, then we tried it together in his instance and within 30 seconds it was all over...

(are any of you guys here on the Red Eclipse?)

Most of us are on The Harbinger...

On my shadow I leveled mainly with a dps companion and on my Operator I did the same. Even my knight was largely leveled with dps companion although I did do boss fights with Doc. I find the best defense is to kill everything real fast. Mav rubbing off on me I guess.

Probably best to ungroup to do class stuff. If your friend goes before you and you go in his, that'll spoil it for you, and vice-versa. Just group up for the class phases when they seem difficult. If one finishes early, they wait before moving on.

You definitely can't do class ones as one, since you don't want your friend screwing with your class story. Other players are spectators, same as when you go in the class phase of another class. You could potentially do them as opposing karmas just to see how the class stories vary along alignments, if either of you tends to the other karma alignment.

My Trooper is Light, it's fun, very patriotic and lawful good. But others do Trooper as Dark and also have fun.

Speaking of heals, I am now Lvl 24 on my Sith Sorcerer and also appreciate the value of it. From what I hear, sorcerers are not ideally suited for healers, even if fully specced, compared to healers of other classes. Where the sorcerer DOES have an advantage, however, is the Static Barrier (dubbed the "Bubble"), which to my thinking is just as effective if not more so than straight healing. Better to resist damage than to heal it but keep taking it, eh?

The Bubble comes in especially handy as it's an instant power, whereas my two healing powers (I am specced for DPS, not healing, so that's all I get, other than a self only heal) have activation times. Party member low on health? POOF instant bubble, and now I have enough time to activate some heals.

I really love my Sorcerer (I'm speccing Madness Tree). You got some great area DPS abilities, some great single target DPS abilities, lots of crowd control, the healing + Bubble synergy, AND a tanky companion. :D

Plus in every game I play, the "evil wizard" type is always my preferred choice. >:D

Of course, I suck in PvP, not because of the class, but because of my own poor twitch reflexes lol. I've seen a Lvl 11 Sorcerer be Unbeatable in a PvP vs. much high level players, so. xD

About crafting, I eventually just gave up on Artifice. It's too much of a grind. Constantly gathering or buying materials, having to keep sending crew to craft, reverse engineering the results till I get a schematic, etc. Bleh. I'll just buy good stuff if I really need it. And quest rewards + commendations are usually plenty good by themselves. Besides, I hear that at Lvl 50, the best loot is like PvP rewards or drops or something.

I wish I could twink my Sorcerer, but my other character is only Lvl 31, so soon my Sith is gonna be caught up! :o

The healing classes are very well balanced. Many, many very good and knowledgeable people consider Sages/Sorcerers the best healer in game. Personally not being overly good or knowledgeable I consider Operatives/Scoundrels to be the best healer in the game, but even as bias as I am, I know that Sages/Sorcerers have the best AoE heal in the game. In PvE, a Sage/Scoundrel or Sorcerer/Operative team is a very powerful healing team. Again some progression groups think those are the go to combination. Again I disagree, while that is my favorite combination, I don’t care what other class I play with. All healing classes are more than capable of getting a group through any content in the game provided the person behind the class understands their role and their class abilities.

Depends on what you are doing, PvE rewards for Operations are the best you can get in game, for PvE. Same goes for PvP, the reward you get there is the best you can get for PvP.

Archived