Home

The Old Republic for Dummies

mimartin

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 950
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So, when you guys say 110% accuracy do you mean 100% and it winds up being 110% with your bonuses? Or is it 110% and 110%+ with the bonuses? Just curious cause I have almost 100% on my RDPS and a little over 100% on my Sent.

Another I forgot about earlier, the Gunnery commando guide says (done by Jogelav sp?) say 110% accuracy and 600 surge. Not sure how I am susposed to do this. Is this with highest rated gear? I have close to 100 maybe 99.89% or something acc but only 300 surge. No crit rest power like 952 power I think. My ear and implants have accuracy and power and then I used accuracy enhancements to get that high but there doesn't seem to be enough to get surge that high. Just wondering

Also just a gripe why can't you sell the Makeb rep items for credits but you can all the other rep items for Section X, Voss and others for credits?

So, when you guys say 110% accuracy do you mean 100% and it winds up being 110% with your bonuses? Or is it 110% and 110%+ with the bonuses? Just curious cause I have almost 100% on my RDPS and a little over 100% on my Sent.

Another I forgot about earlier, the Gunnery commando guide says (done by Jogelav sp?) say 110% accuracy and 600 surge. Not sure how I am susposed to do this. Is this with highest rated gear? I have close to 100 maybe 99.89% or something acc but only 300 surge. No crit rest power like 952 power I think. My ear and implants have accuracy and power and then I used accuracy enhancements to get that high but there doesn't seem to be enough to get surge that high. Just wondering

Also just a gripe why can't you sell the Makeb rep items for credits but you can all the other rep items for Section X, Voss and others for credits?

1. There are 2 types of Accuracy, Melee/Ranged and Force/Tech, the base accuracy for Melee/Ranged attacks is 90% and the base accuracy for Force/Tech is 100%. Certain attacks fall under each category, for example in terms of a Commando, Full Auto is a Ranged Attack, and Demolition Round is a Tech attack. Generally speaking most DPS classes will be able to use talent points in a skill tree to get +3% accuracy, you will get +1% accuracy from having max affection with your rDPS companion (I think), so what you are trying to obtain with your gear is +6% accuracy. That will bring your total to +10% accuracy from talents/gear, add that to you base accuracy of 90% and 100% and that is where you are seeing the goals of being 100% and 110%.

2. I don't think Jolg's Commando guide is up-to-date/usable right now, I don't think it was changed with patch 2.0. In the patch in addition to the level cap being increased to 55, the stat weight formulae for the secondary stats were adjusted to account for the greater number of available stat points in upcoming gear tiers. So basically where before maybe you could get to 100% accuracy and then have 600 points left to stick into Surge, that's not the case anymore as now it takes more points to reach 100% in accuracy leaving less points available for Surge. To be honest I'm not sure where he pulled the number 600 from anyway as I don't think that was true prior to patch 2.0 regardless. In reality how much Surge you have doesn't matter, your goal should be to get to 100% accuracy and then all from that point on just begin to stack Surge.

3. I don't know why Makeb rep tokens aren't sellable, they're eating up my inventory space!

yeh the Makeb stuff is eating up my inventory as well :)

I think in his guide he did mention the 2.0 curve in DR stats. Also mentions using crit but that he has heard 2 ways of since the 2.0 of some crit and then power and no crit and all power. Also mentioned he would check into this, which I am not too worried about, my commando has all power and does pretty good damage. Was mainly wondering about the acc and surge part.

So when I hit C on my keyboard and my character screen comes up under Acc I want it to say 100% without hovering my mouse over it to see the bonus acc no matter what, and if I have full affection with my comp and anything higher is basically better? But shouldn't worry about putting points into it if it is over 110?

If I am reading this correctly.

Also, finally finished 2 lvl 55 HMFP's as a healer on my Sorc. Discovered my Alacrity of all things isn't where it needs to be. But we did Hammerstation and Mando Raiders. Hammer was the first one and the tank died on the first boss because my purge couldn't cooldown fast enough basically. But I did get him back up quickly and we didn't wipe. The tank we had was great as I hardly had to even touch the 2 dps with us with heals at all.

Mando Raiders we got to the first boss again with the dogs and it was kinda all over the place. The dps did a good job of keeping the dogs away from me for the most part so I wasn't getting knocked around this time. Once again benefited from a great tank who knew how to keep agro from the dps so I only had to heal him.

Only times we wiped were on the bonus boss on both FP's which none of us had ever done before. Took us a couple of tries before we finally got a rythem with both of them.

Did try Athiss as well but the big dog kept getting us. Both Dps wasn't taking care of the adds. Hard for only one of them while the other kept trying to kill the boss. Tank left shortly thereafter as did the other dps.

So when I hit C on my keyboard and my character screen comes up under Acc I want it to say 100% without hovering my mouse over it to see the bonus acc no matter what, and if I have full affection with my comp and anything higher is basically better? But shouldn't worry about putting points into it if it is over 110?

If I am reading this correctly.

Also, finally finished 2 lvl 55 HMFP's as a healer on my Sorc. Discovered my Alacrity of all things isn't where it needs to be. But we did Hammerstation and Mando Raiders. Hammer was the first one and the tank died on the first boss because my purge couldn't cooldown fast enough basically. But I did get him back up quickly and we didn't wipe. The tank we had was great as I hardly had to even touch the 2 dps with us with heals at all..

Well it doesn't really matter how updated his guide is, it's pretty minimal as is and he hasn't even touched his Commando since leveling it. The point is get accuracy to 100/110, then go Surge. So there is no confusion ever again and so I don't have to answer this ever again :p I made a picture. Also as an FYI to reach that 100/110 on my Gunslinger takes ~400 points in Accuracy, leaving ~300 left to spend on Surge or Alacrity, Alacrity being useless, so again I have no idea where this 600 points in Surge comes from.

kV0lpJs.jpg

Which takes me to my next point, the tank dying because you couldn't Purge fast enough in Hammer Station is not the fault of Alacrity. In fact Alacrity doesn't even affect the cooldown of abilities (unless they have no cooldown because Alacrity affects the GCD). You're mis-timing your Purge, you should only have to purge twice, at 5 stacks of that mining laser debuff each time and you should be healing in-between.

Okay that picture tells me everything I needed to know about acc. Thank you Mav.

And I thought Alacrity now affected cooldowns but I could have misread that somewhere as well, it may have been the global cooldown I was reading about. It may have been I wasn't casting it fast enough. In any case he was getting stacks quickly and I was constantly having to use it. I wil have to relook at that cause I don't remember if it is an instant cast or not.

Eefluxx you are most likely doing this, but just in case, assign numerical values to your cooldowns in the UI editor. To me this has made a real difference when cleansing people. I know exactly how long I have and will pump out heals between using purge. This becomes even more important in HM S&V in trash pulls where the tank gets constantly DoTed but the smashers are pulling aggro too, so you are constantly having to heal mdps and cleanse the tank.

• 2 months later...

Quick question, so if I don't have any toons at level 50 - is there really a reason for me to buy the Expansion set yet? or should I wait until I've leveled at least one?

I'm looking at a new laptop so that means I'll be able to play with somewhat decent video settings again...

• 2 weeks later...

Some questions about tanking in TOR.

As a Consular Shadow in the defense/Kinetic Combat tree, I find it very curious will is the predominant stat while endurance is the least important. (Source Noxxic.)

I'd have thought a damage absorber was supposed to have lots of health and durability?

Also, is this tank build more for single big enemies? Cuz I've tried a heroic 4 mission and kept getting fried against mobs.

Is it better vs ranged or melee?

I also don't have any aggro pullers like taunts yet (Lv 17...actually just turned 18 after the heroic). And it's largely a thankless duty. :p lolz

I realize tanking is the hardest role in the game but I'm determined to get good at it. So I'm a bit stumped here. Just seems a little counter-intuitive.

I'm more like a stealth DPS meelee and mid ranged. I've been told I won't get any noticeable tanking tricks to use until a bit later. So do I just serve as a stealth/DPS/Tank mix?

Thanks in advance.

I guess I'm supposed to answer this one...

As a Consular, Willpower is your mainstat, it affects your crit rate and your bonus damage. That being said when playing a tank yes you're going to typically choose armoring mods that are higher in Endurance than in Mainstat. At later levels you also have secondary tanking stats to worry about though, Defense and Absorb. At end-game, typically stacking Endurance over your mitigation stats (Defense/Absorb) is inadvisable.

Shadow Tanks have tools to excel at both tanking single boss enemies, as well as packs of multiple smaller enemies. That being said, of the three tanking advanced classes, Guardian, Vanguard, and Shadow, by selecting to play a Shadow Tank, you've decided to pick the most challenging tank to excel at. As far as getting destroyed during a H4 mission, were you trying to do it solo, cause that'd be a bad idea. However, tanking at lower levels in general is pretty ineffective. While that is true for all the tank classes it is especially true for Shadow Tanks, you wear light armor and get shredded easily early on and you don't get some of your best tanking abilities until your upper 30's or lower 40's in levels.

Honestly, I highly recommend that you level as DPS and learn to Tank when you level cap. Leveling just takes much longer when you're leveling as a Tank and especially with Shadows you don't feel very tanky until much later in the levels.

Anyway, I wrote a guide for Shadow Tanks that is a few months old, but should provide enough of the basics... http://www.thewalkingcarpets.com/forum/m/3065305/viewthread/5383418-shadow-tanking-primer

That certainly explains some things. Since all the mods are kinda bleh for right now I can definitely see why this class specialty would be better set for DPS. I will take a look at the guide for now and future reference.

Ehh no. I was not soloing that H4 (I learned THAT one the hard way earlier on a couple H2s), but I could tell not long after starting in I was being taken out far too easily for a tank. Though it didn't help the healer initially went in ahead, instead of waiting up for all of us to arrive. Since there was another team right there doing it as well, he got out okay.

I digress... I'd go in stealth and send out a force wave or sneak attack one and draw attention. Then the healer would generate threat and force the DPS guardian with us to have to redirect them. We had to shift tactics a bit to succeed, but we did. Essentially resorted to "DPS-gang-banging" single big enemies one by one (which seemed to distract everyone else), walling them off so they couldn't go after the healer, then took out smaller ones after. Worked out well enough I suppose.

TL;DR: No matter what I tried, it just didn't work out for "tanking". :p

The only stat in the tree I'm a little iffy on mental fortitude, if endurance is ill advisable later on at level cap... The arguments I've gotten is that it might be redundant simply because with everything else that boosts endurance by level cap, you're basically not doing much beyond the point of diminishing marginal returns and that those talent points might be better served elsewhere. *shrug*

Ehh no. I was not soloing that H4 (I learned THAT one the hard way earlier on a couple H2s), but I could tell not long after starting in I was being taken out far too easily for a tank.
Low level H4 or H2 for that matter are very difficult to solo on any class as your first toon. However, by the time you leveling a 2nd or 3rd toon to 55, they become manageable for certain classes based on you increased presences with legacy, access to credits for gear/crafting for gear from higher toon and your better understanding of game mechanics/ability/rotation.

The same heroics/area quest/flashpoints that tore me up on my first toon, I run through easily on later toons.

I would also agree with Mav, roll dps. Shadow dps was my 2nd toon to 50 and so much easier to level than my first toon that I leveled as a healer. Between stealth and getting a healer companion fairly early it is a very good class for new players. However, dps shadow/tank shadow is terrible right now for end game pve, but it is still my favorite class to level and play. Very fun class to play and very good class to solo H2 and H4, as long as you plan your attacks and use your abilities. Learn to CC and also learn how to not break them or have your companions break them.

The Makeb stuff is lv50-55 content... so yeah, you can wait till you reach 50 on a toon to get it.

The only difference will be the possibility to rise the crew skills above 400 once you get RotHC even if you are lower than level 50.

Thanks for the heads up.

I've got another issue now though, I'm trying to add a subscription and all it gives me is a ****ing error code when I'm about to finalize the payment. And on top of that, I noticed they already charged me 7 Swedish Krona for every attempt that I made. Seriously pissed off at this point but I wont waste any more money calling their ****ty customer service.

Thanks for the heads up.

I've got another issue now though, I'm trying to add a subscription and all it gives me is a ****ing error code when I'm about to finalize the payment. And on top of that, I noticed they already charged me 7 Swedish Krona for every attempt that I made. Seriously pissed off at this point but I wont waste any more money calling their ****ty customer service.

I got error on card validation but I wasn't charged. I changed the browser and it was working just fine.

Try sending a mail to support@swtor.com about your issue...

I think you can only reach 'em via phone these days, I remember e-mailing them about an in-game issue I had and it took them a week to reply that I need to call them for further assistance or whatever.

Anyway, got my issue solved today by using PayPal... eh, at least I received my new speeder.

Archived