Home

The Old Republic for Dummies

mimartin

Question:

If you get to the level of 12 before reaching the advance Class trainer, do you lose those 2 points for your advance class because you reached the trainer after hitting level 10?

Or do you get those points?

Someone can confirm, but I am going to say no, if you don't train your AC until level 12 you'll still get the same amount of points you would as if you trained at level 10.

• Replies 950
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I can confirm this. With my trooper I got AC at lv10 and got 1 skill point. With my Consular I got AC at lv 11 and got 2 skill points when I got my AC.... so you've got no worries about that.

I can confirm Lynk's confirm. Got two on my smuggler at level 11.

On Social Points

These are obtained during any cut scene where you have options to respond and you are in a group of at least two players. When a party member makes a response, a random number is rolled. The highest roll is the the response the party gives to the NPC.

EDIT: If the response is going to cause you to gain Light or Dark side points, you get the ponts you opted for, regardless of who won the roll. However the actions of the winning roll are what happens in the cut scene.

So if I chose to spare the Jawa from a quick death (gaining 50 light points) and my brother wanted to force choke the little sucker for giving him a faulty droid (gaining 50 dark points) we would both get the points we wanted. But since he rolled a 98 and I rolled a 7, the Jawa is no longer with us.

Many Jawas died to bring you this information...

The high roll is worth 4 social points. IF there are two players the low roll is worth 2. IF there are three players then it follows, 4, 3, 2. With four it's 4, 3, 2, 1.

Each time you "lose" a social roll you gain a bonus to your next social roll until you finally win one. My highest roll was 172. (my brother had won the rolls for so long I told him I was his companion.)

On Need Vs. Greed (and sometimes pass)

When in a group it is MMO etiquette to only click on Need when the character you are currently playing can make use of the item. If you are playing a Sith Warrior and a Sniper Rifle drops, clicking Need because you also have a Imp Agent is frowned upon.

Some items in the game are "Bind on Pick up" meaning that the instant it hits your inventory, you can't sell it, trade it, or otherwise allow another to use it. It's always good practice to take a look at the item before clicking Need. Once you get used to what things look like, you can always click greed, unless of course you really need it.

On Advanced Class Options

Be advised that the AC options for each class will take you down a very different road from each other. A Sith Marauder is a glass cannon that will hand out damage like a Jehovah's Witness at a pamphlet convention. A Sith Juggernaut is massive trash can of armor and heath with a glowy fly swatter attached who will absorb the fury of an Icelandic Volcano and yet only make a small mark with his single lightsaber as if to say "naughty, naughty!"

Each AC has three skill trees. ONE of those trees is shared by both ACs but that tree is rather basic and only improves on things inherent in the base class. I.E. Everything you got up to level 10. The shared tree isn't going to make you a better Trash can, or get you into the higher tier of DPS heaven.

Currently there are only a max of 41 skill points to place in any one tree. (50 levels) Each tree has 39 points in it. As stated by others previously, I highly recommend that players focus all points into one skill tree. I looked at the trees extensively and Hybrid builds are going to really suffer until the level cap reaches at least 60 if not 70.

Jedi/Sith classes will not be viable hybrid options until there are at least 60 points to spread about. From what I saw on the last test weekend (Dec 3-5) I wouldn't dare put any points in a different tree until level 30. Even then I was wary to do so.

The Smuggler/Imp Agent ACs that allow them to take healing abilites or melee DPS looked like the best classes to go with a hybrid.

But seriously, Go with one tree until you know what's going on. When you feel comfortable and have a logical plan, respecing your points is free the first time. (and pretty cheep the second and third times.)

And to confirm the confirmations of confriming, I didn't get my Smuggler off planet until level 15. As soon as I picked Scoundrel I had 6 points to spend.

Each time you "lose" a social roll you gain a bonus to your next social roll until you finally win one.
That mechanic was actually broken in the big beta weekend. Additionally, I think the subsequent patch changed it so that after you have won a roll you automatically come last in the following roll, meaning players can no longer win back-to-back rolls.

Another dummie question from me guys...

A little thing regarding mounts.

How many choices are there regarding mounts and colours? In World of Warcraft I had some pretty cool dragons that required tremendous effort to obtain. Is there similar stuff in TOR? I'd like a Wookie-fur lined speeder bike...

Firstly, you get access to speeders at lv25, but you can't just buy one and go for it, you actually have to buy a speeder riding ability from your skill trainer which costs 25,000 credits... and then on top of that the cheapest speeder costs 8,000. I think there are 2 or 3 choices for lv25 speeders which allow you to travel 90% faster than your regular run speed on foot.

There are higher level speeders which you can only use if you're the same level or higher. Some of these higher level speeders just look cooler, but others are actually faster than lower level ones. I think the three speeds of speeders so far are 90% faster, 100% faster and 110% faster.

As for colours, they're pretty limited, I think two of the lv25 speeders are the same with different paint schemes but they don't look all that good to be honest lol. But whatever, I got the CE version of TOR which comes with a free speeder so at the very least I don't have to waste 8,000 credits early on on a speeder.

They must've changed the cost... damn. Also, to add to that, there are further ranks to the ability which cost even more... though Mav tells me that you end up getting a lot of credits by then anyway.

Yeah, I read this too. It's useless to buy gear at low levels anyway, so saving up for a speeder shouldn't be a problem. Too bad there isn't much diversity in speeders though. I would have loved a speeder bike like Anakin had or something strange like Darth Maul flew. The creators could have gone all out with it...

They'll definitely add more speeders as the game gets patched with new content even before any expansions to the game... same applies to practically everything in the game.

That said, I'm sure you'll find at least a couple of speeders which you think look pretty cool and worth investing in.

It has always been 40K for the level 1 training as far as I know, certainly for several months at the very least. The level 2 and level 3 skills cost something in the order of 250K and 350K, respectively.

At the moment there are a couple of "traditional" style speeder bikes along the lines of the ones in ROTJ or the one Anakin rides in AOTC. There's also the lame STAP thing that you ride upright that is reminiscent of some of the droid speeders from TPM. You don't get a full multi-person speeder until riding level 3 as I recall (not that multiple people can ride in them - yet).

@ DarthParametric: Unfortunately, at this stage even the 2 seater land speeders can't actually seat 2 people and is only meant for single person use.

It'd be cool if they expanded the concept though and allowed 4 people ride on one players land speeder, be handy for group travel when you need to get to a heroic quest area or something.

I can see them allowing other players or at least your companion on the multi seat ones.

I don't think we will see this till 6-8 months down the line. There has to be good amount of testing. They could work in a mechanic similar with the flash point group conversation checks over the head. The owner would have to click to allow each to keep from people jumping in and players would need to be groups already.

It's very possible.

I'm sure over the next 12 months we will see a good deal added which were just not ready for the launch date but were already in the works.

I can see them allowing other players or at least your companion on the multi seat ones.

In the taxi at least, it looked like the companion rode in the trunk. Which is where I would have made him ride anyways.

Forget speeders, what level do I get my Varactyl to ride?

That mechanic was actually broken in the big beta weekend. Additionally, I think the subsequent patch changed it so that after you have won a roll you automatically come last in the following roll, meaning players can no longer win back-to-back rolls.

It was borked during the Thanksgiving Beta test but they made an adjustment to it and it was working fine afterwards. And you can win back to back rolls. Even back to back to back rolls... (Damn my brother!)

I've not seen any news on a new patch, and I assume there will be one before early access goes live, but if nothing changes it will function as I described.

It has always been 40K for the level 1 training as far as I know, certainly for several months at the very least. The level 2 and level 3 skills cost something in the order of 250K and 350K, respectively.
Yes, Rank 1 Speeder Piloting is 40k, Rank 2 is 210K, and Rank 3 is 300K, I'm actually not 100% positive on Rank 3, when I hit lvl 50 I had over 700k credits just from planetary questing and selling **** loot so I just bought up everything from my trainer.... which took me down to 200k btw, basically every ability you know gets a rank up at 50.

Also, Rank 1 speeders give you 90% speed, Rank 2 100% speed and a less likely hood of being shot off your speeder by enemies, and Rank 3 is 110% speed and an even higher resistance to being knocked off. From my experience that is the best part about rank 3 speeders, not being knocked off as much.

I don't think we will see this till 6-8 months down the line. There has to be good amount of testing. They could work in a mechanic similar with the flash point group conversation checks over the head. The owner would have to click to allow each to keep from people jumping in and players would need to be groups already.

It's very possible.

I'm sure over the next 12 months we will see a good deal added which were just not ready for the launch date but were already in the works.

In Galaxies, I think with a pre-order of the last expansion, the Kashyyyk one, people got Desert Skiffs, they turned into big raid party buses XD.

Forget speeders, what level do I get my Varactyl to ride?
Also in Galaxies, I miss him dearly :(

Archived