Home

The Old Republic for Dummies

mimartin

some class specs do, shadow and scoundrel on the republic side, but knight don't have a way. I will be around this weekend (not going to the Texas vs Kansas game), so find me online and I will go help. Can even do it friday night if we do it before the start of Imperial night.

I just did that quest within the last week or so with mari'ina, you need to remember to use unity and heroic moments if something is overwhelming you. Also what level is the mission and what level are you? If you are underleveled then everything will be overwhelming.

• Replies 950
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Are you at the part of your class story that let's you use the shuttle? You can't leave Tython until you've finished the class story missions on that planet.

Yes, I have no other missions on the planet. The shuttle just does not activate when you click on it. Im guessing the update tomorrow will address this.

So I'm back on this game now, but I dont want to level up other characters like I did with my first character with doing all those side quests. I only want to do flashpoints, class quests, wzs(after lvl30), and if I have to, the main planet quests. What exp perks do I need to buy to do this without needing a ridiculous amount of flashpoint runs? I'm also half broke, hence why I'm asking before buying, so I would like to get as few as possible. If it helps, I'm planning on a run of an agent next.

• 2 weeks later...

Well at level 36 i finally got the services of a healer, as my Jedi Knight, Doctor is useful...helps in some ways but he dosent fight as well as Kira so i am switching back and forth. It is nice to have the healing and may make some other quests more possible. But i wonder if it is possible to enhance his fighting ability. I wish they let us have two companions at once, having him AND Kira would be great.

a nice new thing to learn about.

Yeah, on my Trooper I didn't always rely on solely my healer. Being tank-spec and hard to kill as is, if I was overleveled for a quest I'd just take my main dps guy instead to better quickly take down foes(since as a tank my dps was pretty crappy).

I assume you could make Doc better at combat just by getting him better gear that favors his stats. In Doc's case I think it's Cunning Medium Armor(Smuggler gear), so that gear would help both his healing and dps.

Though overall I'd guess he won't be a top tier dps, which makes you be more tactical about whether you get more benefit out of having a healer out to keep you alive or a dps to help finish foes. It's all up to you.

yep i am trying out various methods, he is very useful for tough bosses, he helped me finally defeat one of the Stingers on Balmora those way overleveled Insect Elites that are almost impossible to kill solo.... but he is not as useful when working thru a normal mob of mixed foes. I find Kira is better at that esp the Sith-two Imp Troops-1 droid quartets that are sprinkeled around Balmora. Finally i can smack down Sith with some success !

thanks for those tips on the armor, didnt know that. ...for him. Doc is funny, Kira dosent like him much so they have some funny banter.,...

Kira "So if they Imperials toss grenades at us, you can just toss Doc on top of them"

LOL

I still haven't used a healer that much with any of my toons. My first toon was a healer, so using fishboy had no practical purpose. My trooper was leveled with Lynk, everything died too fast to use a healer. My agent has self heals, my shadow used the healer some, but stuff died way faster with 2 dps, so I quit using him when I got Nadia.

I just got Doc too on my knight, been using him just to help get his affection up to help with crewskills (already have T7-01 and Kira at 100%). Doc CC’s everything, so he is useful as his CC opens up a break big damage ability for Sentinel, but playing as a female knight Doc is kind of annoying. Much prefer Kira’a killing to Doc’s healing.

Crowd Control

It's too easy to just crutch on your healer(many people never use anyone else once they get a healer, even if they don't particularly like the character of their healer), but like I said before, there are definitely times when you want to use others. Hell, my Trooper-Vanguard loved using M1-4X at times just to see 2 tanks barely taking any damage. Sure it took about 5 times longer to kill foes, but we never got seriously hurt. :p

cool, yes i plan to use Kira a lot...and even the bot once in a while....the Doc has a rather nasty tempermant...well not really nasty but kind of smart alecky...so i will save him for emergencies and touch boss battles for it is nice to have the healing to back one up in a carefully planned rotation with a touch boss.

Right now i am pretty handicapped as my local DSL service has dropped so low in latency that the game is unplayable much of the time, one big freeze fest.... with almost no time in between freezes and stutters, i am assuming it is that and NOT the game itself tho i do see a lot of posts about stuttering..

..so i will have to wait for a promised upgrade to the system that they said they were doing.. just have to be patient and work on other things. but thanks a lot for the advice.

http://dulfy.net/2012/10/23/swtor-cartel-market-items/

Write up on what you can buy... To spend cartel coins you do not have to go to the store, the store is on your UI. However, I would wait, there are some reports that they are subtracting too many coins for a purchase at the moment and other reports that people buying cartel coins form the website are not get credited for the coins. Day 1 patch buyer beware.

So I'm back on this game now, but I dont want to level up other characters like I did with my first character with doing all those side quests. I only want to do flashpoints, class quests, wzs(after lvl30), and if I have to, the main planet quests. What exp perks do I need to buy to do this without needing a ridiculous amount of flashpoint runs? I'm also half broke, hence why I'm asking before buying, so I would like to get as few as possible. If it helps, I'm planning on a run of an agent next.

I'm finding that the planet Heroics pay pretty well with both credits and xp. I'm not certain if you have to do all of the planet quests, but I've found some of the planet missions seem to have 'prerequisite' missions before they unlock. Slicing and Treasure Hunting seem to be the best credit gathering crew skills, and I send my companions out all the time to do those missions. Also, I've collected a fair amount of credits and xp doing space missions. Just need to upgrade the ship now and then.

Well, if you're not going to be doing a lot of Flashpoints or other secondary questing, just pick the Class mission modifiers, obviously. And if you're going to do the occasional warzone, pick that one as well. Should be all, really.

Archived