Home

The Old Republic for Dummies

mimartin

Can stuff you buy from PvP vendors ONLY be used in PvP? You can't use them in PvE?

And I'm preferred status, so no Ops for me unless I buy a Pass xD What are the best items in the game outside of endgame ops? The artifact vendors on the fleet? End-of-class questline drops? Lvl 50 flashpoints? Or something craftable?

EDIT: Also, as far as the AOE heal...I'm NOT specced in healing, so I don't get the AOE heals. That would be the Corruption (healing) skill tree. What is cool though, is that I have Revive with zero cooldown! ^^ Is that something only Sorcerers/Sages get, or do all healers get it?

• Replies 950
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mimartin - Oh, right, the Expertise thing? IIRC, that's a PvP only stat that affects damage to dish out and take vs other players?

Well, that explains that, I haven't invested in ANY PvP gear. So not only am I unskilled as a player, I'm severely underequipped for PvP xD

Of course, I suck in PvP, not because of the class, but because of my own poor twitch reflexes lol. I've seen a Lvl 11 Sorcerer be Unbeatable in a PvP vs. much high level players, so. xD

That's not so crazy. Certain classes, Sniper included, tend to be beasts at low level. With bolstering their damage and such is put on par with higher level attacks, and they aren't distracted by having 30 different abilities to maintain, so they just keep pumping it with a few hard-hitting abilities. My Sniper was a wrecking ball in the teens too.

PvP gear at low levels can be good in PvE. They're easy oranges. My Sniper had the level 20 PvP set that both looked cool and had great stats for PvE. My Vanguard used the level 40 pvp set, and similarly was great in both PvE and looking sexy. Feel free to get some pieces, "easy" epics. Even the expertise weapons from the pvp weapons vendor are good since even outside the expertise they tend to have better stats/damage than most weapons of their level(about on par with flashpoint drops and less random luck on getting). My Trooper uses PvP blaster rifles, and my Agent uses a PvP sniper rifle, and my Agent gears Kaliyo with a PvP pistol.

PvP gear's really not that terrible for PvE if you don't have anything great from flashpoints. Equivalent level flashpoint drops may be better, but if you aren't running many flashpoints, the gear will easily outclass the greens and blues you get from planet questing.

Yeah, Expertise is the stat that ONLY works in PvP scenarios. This means only in Warzones, when you're dueling another player or are fighting against a PvP tagged player on the opposite faction.

About the only time PvP gear becomes the least bit useful is when you get your Recruit mk-2 gear when you hit lv50 and they come with a couple of Battlemaster relics, these can be highly useful relics to have until you can get the better endgame relics later on.

@ Hassat: You can pick up recruit mk-2 gear from the PvP mission terminal.

I did 0 PvP for a long time until I suddenly started a month ago... now I have full War Hero gear with an Elite War Hero chest piece, a tonne of Expertise and I'm at Valor 55. Didn't take me all that long to get this far...

As far as healing goes I love playing my sorcerer healer. Especially when tanks in FP's give me credit and tell me what a good job I am doing. Then being amazed that it is my first time as a healer.

Remember to love your healers no matter what :)

What Eeflux said. I love it when people credit me for heals! ^^ We were doing FP: Athiss on the Imp side, and ran into 3 of those Champion Disciples at once. Someone broke my stun so we had to take on all 3. I was juggling back and forth between all three of my party members, popping bubbles and heals, and then doing Unnatural Preservation on myself if I needed it. My Force was nearly zero by the end. But we all survived, and I got credit :D

When I'm not playing as a healer, I always thank the healer!

P.S. It's my first time as a healer too :)

Yeah, tried lvl 50+ PvP... kept being murdered. 0 Expertise... not good :).
When I started doing PvP, Lynk told me to expect to die a lot. And that's the way it is. Obviously, having some PvP gear is vital (and as Lynk pointed out, you can get the Recruit Gear for free - about the equivalent of Tionese in PvE, so anything Tionese or lower should be swapped out for the Recruit gear), but the system is a bit broken anyway. People who are fully equipped with Elite War Hero gear get to fight new level 50 PvP players, or a team of random fresh PvP players are put against a well-oiled PvP team with Elite War Hero gear. It can be frustrating if you're only a beginning PvP player, but if the teams are well-balanced, it is a lot of fun.

My Bounty Hunter Mercenary had no PvP gear when I started, but I already had a lot of Black Hole gear, so I wasn't entirely useless. Expertise is important, but you can often still make a difference without it if you're decently geared.

What are the best items in the game outside of endgame ops? The artifact vendors on the fleet? End-of-class questline drops? Lvl 50 flashpoints? Or something craftable?

Anyone know? Y'all keep mentioning all these types of gear - Recruit, Elite War Hero, Tionese, Black Hole - that I have no idea what they are. Is this high level stuff? I only have two toons, the highest level of which is 31.

Endgame gear is gear you get once you reach level 50 which you can get from doing hard mode flash points and operations. They're specifically for the really hard level 50 stuff you'll be facing once you finish everything else... because every kind of gear under level 50 just isn't going to cut it any more.

Anyone know? Y'all keep mentioning all these types of gear - Recruit, Elite War Hero, Tionese, Black Hole - that I have no idea what they are. Is this high level stuff? I only have two toons, the highest level of which is 31.

All of these are endgame gear (level 50). These work in tiers. For PvP, it's basically Recruit < War Hero < Elite War Hero. For PvE, Tionese < Columi < Rakata < Black Hole < Dreadguard.

Well, I recognize some of those PvE names. First off, all five are sold by vendors on the fleet, IIRC.

Tionese is some kind of alien species, though I can't remember which. The Columi are the super-intelligent, super-ancient Coneheads, and we all know who the Rakata are. What are Black Hole and Dreadguard?

And let me get this straight: the best PvE gear in the game is Dreadguard?

Black Hole/Campaign gear is linked to the Black Hole daily area on Corellia. The Dread Guard are linked to the Dread Masters. Don't look it up, you'll find out if you keep playing. :)

For the moment, Dread Guard/Hazmat gear is the the highest tier for PvE, yes.

Tionese gear is your base lv50 gear which you can get as soon as you hit lv50.

Columi gear can be obtained from doing hard mode flashpoints and story mode operations.

Rakata you get from hard more tier 1 operations and story mode tier 2 operations.

Black Hole you get from black hole comms you get from doing the black hole section of corellia (an endgame daily area) and story mode tier 2 operations. Campaign gear, which is basically the same as black hole gear but with different stat types you get from hard mode explosive conflict (a tier 2 operation).

Dreadguard and Hazmat gear you get from doing hard mode terror from beyond (a tier 2 operation).

All of this gear is primarily for the really tough endgame content, mostly Operations which involve 8 or 16 people playing together... and it's not all that easy to get, it takes a lot of time and effort and a lot of team work from other players.

There are nightmare modes, but they periodically add new flashpoints and operations and stuff as the game progresses. When swtor started we only had one and a half operations, now we have four individual ones and two more flashpoints than what we started with as well as some other jazz.

More stuff will come in the future and more new gear and such as well.

One thing I've noticed is that gear seems to matter much more than level (other than level being requirement for gear).

My Level 25 Sith Sorcerer has 100+ Willpower base, but with gear has 400+

It makes that much of a difference, apparently!

Is there any other way to get the Lvl 50 PvE gear than running the ops? I'm preferred, so to play Ops I'd have to buy a weekly pass, or several of them to get the good gear. Can it be traded or sold or crafted?

Of course, I don't know why anyone would want to sell or trade gear like that, but at least theoretically, is it possible? xD

All of this gear is primarily for the really tough endgame content, mostly Operations which involve 8 or 16 people playing together... and it's not all that easy to get, it takes a lot of time and effort and a lot of team work from other players.
Okay Lynk explain her gear

http://swtor.askmrrobot.com/character/dbf38349-bff8-47e1-bc6f-81442f5696c6

She has been in HMEV (first two bosses) twice and last 2 bosses of SM TfB once and that is it for operations. I also don't think I got any gear directly from drops in any of those runs. :xp:

Now this ones gear is due to hard work on my part and the great people in TWC and also CA. http://swtor.askmrrobot.com/character/ce9a8ed6-4c8e-4b99-91e7-fde2cc343b18

Seriously Lynk is correct, gear is not that easy to get, but once you have a toon at 50 geared and in a decent regular group, then gearing up alt is extremely easy and fast. Especially if that first toon is a tank or healer. I can pretty much get a group anytime on my healers and I can solo black hole's heroics for the weekly if Lynk and/or Milt are not around.

Have no clue how many operations and hmfps Bremiaha has done and trust me, I don't want to know.

I am paying close attention because i have a ways to go still to prepare for the end game...thanks for the info on this, i too wondered if it is possible to buy better gear as XP does not seem to make much differnece ..as much as gear.

And yes i had the unhappy and unwelcome opportunity to taste PVP yesterday, i was stopped near an IMP camp on Alderan checking the map and my companion wandered off and attacked a PVP Sith and her huge monster of a compaoin some kind of huge troll. So they happily attacked the hell out of me inspite of my asking them to stop. Twice. I was very pissed. I did not realize you could be flagged by that happening as i was NOT buffing anyone or attacking anyone myself. But now i know. And now i know i wont be doing PVP EVER. I hated that. I mostly like the story and the exploring. But we will see if i survive to 50, and all of these levels of elite gear are a mystery to me still.

Sorry no XP is just as important as gear. Level gets you abilities, gear enhances these abilities. A opening for a jedi watchman sentinel is Force Leap + Overload Saber -> Zealous Strike -> Cauterize -> Merciless Slash -> Master Strike -> Force Camo. That is deadly even in fresh 50 gear, but with my gear and luck of hitting a crit that is over 2000 dps on a elite (plus a dead elite). However, if I just had my gear and not those abilities then I betting the dps of using strike over and over even in that gear would be closer to 700 dps or less.

Gear is important, gear can make up for a players lack of skill, but gear does not outshine abilities and neither gear or abilities outshine player skill. There are no shortcuts, there is more than one way to play. You can play, by leveling and having fun and not taking the game so serious or you can only worry about gear and numbers, I play somewhere in between, I know it is against Lynk's rule, but I play for fun. I take my raids serious and I get rather upset at times, but only at myself. I don't want to let down the group. However, when someone else causes the wipe i do not get upset (unless it was lynk's fault :xp:). Seriously we all make mistakes, it is a game and no big deal, however I work on my healer abilities and gear plus read tips and suggestions, not because I am obsessed with the game, but because I am a member of a team and I do not want to let them down. So it is work, but it is fun work to me.

I And yes i had the unhappy and unwelcome opportunity to taste PVP yesterday, i was stopped near an IMP camp on Alderan checking the map and my companion wandered off and attacked a PVP Sith and her huge monster of a compaoin some kind of huge troll. So they happily attacked the hell out of me inspite of my asking them to stop. Twice. I was very pissed. I did not realize you could be flagged by that happening as i was NOT buffing anyone or attacking anyone myself. But now i know. And now i know i wont be doing PVP EVER. I hated that. I mostly like the story and the exploring. But we will see if i survive to 50, and all of these levels of elite gear are a mystery to me still.

You get to close to the imp base, you get flagged. Watch there will be a red warning both in the middle of the screen and in chat window with count down. Your companion attacked because you were flagged and she/he got aggroed. Also the sith could not see your chat, unless you used /yell.

Mimartin, thanks for your detailed answers! You're using a bunch of abbreviations that I'm not familiar with though, lol. I think HMEV is Hard Mode Eternity Vault? The others I have no clue, except that TWC and CA might be guilds?

Pretty good gear there. And good point about levels giving you abilities. I just meant insofar as stat bonuses, gear seems to matter a lot more than level.

Out of curiosity, I wonder what the highest damaging single attack in the game is. And I also wonder what the highest stacked damage is in the game. (By that second question, I mean class abilities and gear to buff damage along with an already high-damage attack)

Archived