Home

The Old Republic for Dummies

mimartin

Yeah, HMEV = Hard Mode Eternity Vault.

TWC = The Walking Carpets

It's our official Republic Guild on The Harbinger server.

CA = Casual Alliance

A loose Alliance of guilds that we are a part of... when it was active, it's not really active any more but as a result of the Casual Alliance we were able to gain a lot of members into TWC.

• Replies 950
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Al Ciao, I assume you are playing a sorcerer as well from the description of heals, a couple of tricks I have learned healing wise when your force reaches zero

1. Hit them with your lightsaber, you won't do a whole lot of damage but your force builds back quicker.

2. if you are lvl 50 and have revivication which is the main aoe heal you will use, when you use it stay inside it and hit consumption a few times and then unnatural preservation.

Has saved my life and my teams life quite a few times. :)

I assume this would work for a Sage on the republic side as well

Yes, I'm playing a Level 25 Sorcerer :D Loving it.

I'm actually not speccing Corruption, so I won't be getting Revivification (that's the top level Corruption power, right?) If you mean the Level 50 power that all Sorcerers auto-get at Lvl 50, I understood that to be the same as a Revive, except it can be used in combat?

As preferred status, I only have two quickbars, and as a person with poor twitch reflexes, I have trouble just managing those! So I'm trying to juggle which powers I use. I've taken both of my saber strikes completely off, as well as Consumption, since I almost never run out of Force. (I took the tier 1 Lightning tree skill points that give me +100 Force, and am going to be taking the ones that make area Force powers cost less.)

I've run low on Force two or three times, and both times I barely managed to keep the group alive, due to my Force regenerating quickly enough that I could pop a few Bubbles and heal. So it was close, but we scraped by with no one dying. I may have to reconsider putting Consumption back on a quickbar tho, at least for groups.

thanks for the input on equipment and skill Mim and for the tips on PVP , i made the mistake, and paid for it. As for the other player they were enjoying themselves and prob thought i was a whimp because i ran away, and kept trying to run. I guess they got a kick out of killing me anyway. I didnt enjoy it but will be sure to be more careful in the future. So i learned and am not complaining. that is a side of the game i dont play and dont plan to. Like you i like to have fun and explore. thanks for all the help you have given me.

I went shopping at Fleet to try to get better gear for my Doctor but there was noting available in the vendors that was even close to as good as what he already has. So i just got someting from the Cartel market instead. I was going to try to add mods to some of my own equipment but the work table kept saying i needed some kind of enhahnacemnt slot to add stuff and i couldnt find it for sale anywhere so skilled that too.

Pretty much anything that's on the Cartel Market can be found on the GTN. Some of it of course costs quite a lot of credits, but that's mostly for rare pieces that aren't necessarily better than cheap stuff. Then again, I never bothered buying gear before I got to 50, saved me quite a bit of money, I think.

I was going to try to add mods to some of my own equipment but the work table kept saying i needed some kind of enhahnacemnt slot to add stuff and i couldnt find it for sale anywhere so skilled that too.
I didn't quite get that. Are you talking about the Augment slot? If so, yes, the augment slot needs to be manually added to gear with an augment kit. If you're talking about the Enhancement slot... It's absent on some gear, I think, but never on custom gear, so look for that.

Actually, for now, I only need the first two quickbars, using the 3rd one for non-combat abilities like the speeder. That I can easily click on.

Mouse clicking powers is very slow for me, at least compared to the frenzied pace of battle. I have Usher's syndrome, which basically means my peripheral vision is shot. It literally takes me a few seconds to find the mouse pointer on the screen.

Al Ciao if your going to be a healer then you need to use the corruption tree as it has all of your healing abilities that matter. Revivication is an AOE heal that can heal up to 8 teammembers at once. Basically they are called circles in most aspects. If you are going dps then you don't really need to worry about the corruption tree but don't need to tell people you can be the healer either just that you can heal some of the time and healp out with healing.

I didn't get revivication until like lvl 47 or 48 I think and healing was pretty hard until I got that power and it became much easier. Consumption unless its a dire situation should really only be used with revivication because you are healing yourself with the aoe while you take your health for force power. I would try to get at least your basic saber strike back on your quickbar somewhere to use in case you do run out of force power.

Healing is a full time job just like tanking. You can throw some dps in there when everyone is ok but trying to dps and heal isn't really something that should be done all the time. If its you and one other person doing like 2 man heriocs or some such then yes dps away and heal. But if it is a FP or a 4 man herioc just heal heal and more heal.

And I have my 6 quickbars one has pets and vehicles one has all my quick travels and fun toys. One just has my healing abilities andone I have for medpacs and stims and my herioc abilities. The other two are my dps abilities when I need them and my healing abilities again.

And like Hassant said I don't have them bound or anything just click the bar itself. probably not the best method for a healer but so far it has worked for me.

So, probably stupid question but...

What good are "bound to legacy" items?

Considering they are class tied, leveled etc. they seem like a get-and-throw away later item. Something I am missing?

The item is bound to the characters in your legacy on that server. So if I have 2 characters on a server, I can mail that BoL item to the other character on that server and that other character will be able to equip it to themselves or their companions.

More importantly, it can be a quick way to get your alts geared for endgame. Say you find a Rakata piece with your main (and these are usually bound to character, so you wouldn't be able to mail them to your alts) but it's not suited for your class, you can take out the mods and put it in Legacy gear, which you can then mail to an alt and then take out the mods or equip the legacy gear.

But... they have class requirements. Or does it convert to the other class if sending it to another legacy char.

And even if so, your teammates can't wear them then...

EDIT (to above post appearing when I was typing this);

Don't see the profit. You can just send the enchantments itself no? Would be cheaper than putting it in Legacy gear and extracting them afterwards, since that costs (again) extraction costs. Which get expensive with high-tier enhancements.

What piece are you talking about specifically? If it's adaptive armour then any class can wear it. Whether they're light, medium or heavy armour wearers, hence "adaptive armour".

Weaspons that are BoL are different and can only be wielded by the classes that can wield those weapons such as Jedi and Sith classes with single blade lightsabers.

Plus the nice thing about BoL stuff is that you can take them off a character that's wearing it and send it back to another character cause it doesn't permanently bind itself to a single character in your legacy, you can swap it around as much as you want.

You misunderstand me. I AM playing dps. It's just I have some basic healing with the dark healing/infusion for others, unnatural preservation for myself, and bubbles for anyone who needs it.

I don't tell people I'm a healer, I just tell them I'm dps with a little bit of heal although I'm not specced for it. Although I have ended up playing healer on flashpoints. Like I was saying before, got down to low Force but managed to keep everyone alive. (We were fighting three of the Champions on Athiss at once lol)

You misunderstand me. I AM playing dps. It's just I have some basic healing with the dark healing/infusion for others, unnatural preservation for myself, and bubbles for anyone who needs it.
It isn't that big a deal at lower levels, but as you level up if you enter group finder as a healer, then you better be spec'ed healer or expect to get kicked and ignored. So people take that game way to serious.

Yes... it will usually stay that way too, but check it each time before entering group finder. Only time I notice it gets reset is usually after some big patches, but people grip about it on the TOR forum all the time. I have the problem with my smuggler, agent and shadow.

yes i was trying to add mods to the augmentation slots but coulnd find where to get that augmentation item that is required...if you try to add a mod say to pants or shooes or belt, you see a pop up saying you need this little thingy and it costs 1000 creds I have the credit but didnt have the thingy and coulndt find it in the shopping mall on couruscant....is there somethere else to get it?

i am trying to get any edge i can by upping my protection, i find that the quests are pretty much tailored to be about 25 - 50 percent out of reach of your main character no matter how carefully you upgrade your equipment with what you get from drops and i havent found any gear that is better than what i have for sale...but i will try the Galactic Trade Network, was a bit shy about that.

i did have a problem in the Fleet last time i was there, some jerks kept parking their oversized speeders in top of me so i couldnt see anyting and then moving and doing it agian if i moved. I know it was griefing and there are trolls in any game but i had not had this unpleasant experience before. Had hoped to not see it here but i guess it is inevitable.

Not all legacy gear is class-specific. The stuff you get from the Legacy vendors are and if you get them, you would for aesthetic purposes. The Legacy gear from events, for example, can be equipped by anyone (the Sandpeople Bloodguard armor, to name one).

Okay, yeah, only have experience with the vendor items.

Did get one that's good for my lvl 15 Sith Maurader (from my Consular run) but can't see any reason to pass it to another char, since it's all tied to Sith Warriors.

Second; Tried using that expertise gear. Some of was even better than my regular gear (armband especially sucks always) so they'll stay, but other gear will get swapped since I want my +power instead of armor. Didn't seem to matter a whole bunch, some could still kill me in a few hits, and never die. Also still curious to see the "bumped to lvl 49" icon on my char in lvl 50 pvp. :/

I guess I need better gear but looking at the vendors everything is purple and thus, unusable. 2500 recommendations, but what to spend it on?

Talking about that, is the only thing you can buy for Tionese Crystals a lockbox? I bought it, then sold it on the GTN for 22K credits. Or do they have any other use?

Lastly, on aforementioned Maurader did some space battles, and about 80% of the VO is... female. Is that a bug, or is it supposed to be Mission (Vette)? Doesn't quite sound like her...

Well, the free PvP gear (the recruit armor with the expertise bonus) you get at 50 is just a start, of course. You get warzone commendations for doing PvP and the daily and weekly that comes with it. I'd guess if you're still a fresh 50 with not a lot of endgame gear, PvP can be rough. I can't really comment on that, since I started PvPing after already having most of my Black Hole gear. What do you mean, by the way, purple gear being unusable?

Tionese Crystals were used for getting Tionese gear, but it became pretty much useless since everyone gets a free Tionese set now and Tionese vendors demand only Tionese comms, instead of comms and crystals.

About the space battles... I think that's normal. I pretty much only hear Mako myself during space fights.

Archived