Home

The Old Republic for Dummies

mimartin

Preffered (and F2P) players cannot use purple gear. Not without a permit for 1800 cartel coins anyway (and I think that's way too expensice. It's cheaper getting a month sub and unlocking purples that way, although of course that only unlocks those you already have, not those you still get in the future). :/

• Replies 950
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ah. Well, that sucks. What kind of reason would they have to lock people out from buying purple gear? :s

To get them to subscribe. The only reason you need the higher end gear is for operations, to do operations you either have to subscribe or buy a pass. It should not be cheaper or free for people to get the same benefit that subscribers get, especially subscribers that have been there since beta.

The weekly op pass can easily be bought for credits on the GTN though... artifact unlock? Not so much.

They go for millions... and pref. players are capped at 350K (which is why I find it surprising people add them to the GTN for more than that. Maybe want to sell them to subs that are about to go F2P?)

I don't think people understand the correct price they should be offering a lot of these unlocks. It's just people buying them thinking they can make a huge profit when in reality they can't and they've just wasted cartel coins.

You see the same thing on other things, Biometric Alloy is a dime a dozen now, but you will still see someone put one on GTN for 1 million. I often wonder if idiots actually buy this stuff for 1 million from time to time, so that iswhy the do it.

That one is better, it cost more. :xp:

Yeah, I was f20 and bought $20 worth of Cartel Coins (becoming preferred in the process, which has some nice perks) and used it to buy artifacts ^^

Speaking of artifacts, an odd thing happened to me. On Nar Shaddaa (the Imp side), I did a side quest involving an ancient complex that an ancient Sith lord had sealed away 100s of years ago (that should avoid any spoilers, but hopefully those in the know can tell what I mean), protected by an unending legion of droids.

In the Abandoned Warehouse Complex, just before entering the instance, where there's a whole bunch of droids (and a bonus mission to kill I think 40 of them), I got no less than 3 purple drops all within 10 minutes! :o

Was this just outrageous luck, or is this normal for that area? o_O

CrisG the thing you need to get is an augmentation kit. The MK-1 kits cost 1,000 credits and the MK-6 kits cost 30,000 credits to install them.

You can find them on the GTN for varying prices or maybe someone from your guild can make you one.

Depending on what level you are and what level Augment you are trying to put in it depends on what kind of kit you need. The MK-6 Kits will take any augment while the lower ones will take one for that level or lower. An Mk-5 kit will take its level and anything that will fit in a lower kit but not and Aug that will fit in a MK-6 kit. You see what I mean? If it is gear that you really like and that is moddable I would suggest a higher kit to start with so you don't have to keep changing the kits out when you upgrade augs.

The kits can be made by certain crew skills (Armstech, Armormech, Synthweaving and I think maybe Cybertech makes them) It takes 10 aumentation slots of a certain kit to make one kit for the augments. Augmentation slots can be found on the GTN or by reverse engineering items you make. Depending on the level of the item determines the augmentation slot you get.

If you don't know what level the item is you are making you can tell by what grade mats you are using to create the item. For instance if you are using grade 4 mats when you reverse engineer the item you will get a augmentation slot 4 and so on.

And as for the problem of people parking their speeders on you on the fleet try using the GTN on Coruscant as there aren't alot of people there using that one and there is a Cargo Access and Mailbox as well. You could also try the Hutt Trade Network on Nar Shaddaa but the mail and cargo access aren't as all close together as on Coruscant.

Hope this helps

And I have a question for Gunslingers and Snipers. Is there a way to disable the roll into cover option? I know with Slingers you get an immediate charged burst when you drop into cover and constantly gettting up and dropping into cover is a way to get some good dps but for it to be effective you need to already be targeting someone and I always wind up rolling right into a firebomb or lighting storm when I want to stay in one place.

Yeah, for a healer, sure. I wonder if it would also help with my channeled Force Lightning (Sorcerer)? It's channeled for 3 secs and does a total of like 700 damage over that 3 secs (at my current level). If I got Alacrity points so that it took less time to channel, would it still do that same 700 damage, just in the shorter time?

Still, I suspect that Power would be more useful than Alacrity in that case.

Don’t put all your eggs in one basket. Leveling, I usually don’t worry much about critical, alacrity, surge or accuracy. I mainly concentrate my efforts on getting my main stat and power as high as possible. After hitting 50 I will try to get my main stat as high as possible while getting the three out of the four (Critical, Alacrity, Surge and Accuracy) depending on class to around 285 to 300 and then stack power as high as possible. You really have to watch drops, some look really good until you figure out that sacrificing cunning for accuracy for a sawbones is a really bad idea. I have seen cunning with shield drop, which would be great for a smuggler tank, but there are no smuggler tanks in the game.

As a healer, I wouldn’t worry about Alacrity much until I hit 50. The time saving is not significant and I would much rather trade of the cast time for bigger heals or better chance that I hit a critical heal. Stack the main stat as high as possible, look for ways to increase power and if anything choice surge and critical over alacrity. I know some healers that don’t even take alacrity at 50, they would rather stack more power, crit or surge. Me, I just do what Mav and Seijin tell me to do. :) So I am in the 285 to 300 range on Critical, Surge and Alacrity, Accuracy is useless to a sawbones, just as it is to a Seer Sage.

With what Lynk said about activation/channel times speeding up, I thought activation was how long it took for you to cast your spell and channel was how long the spell lasted? Am I wrong in thinking this?

I know alacrity speeds up your activation times but I thought the channel times stayed the same regardless. Plus doesn't surge speed up your cooldowns?

Which if channel is how long it lasted then why would you want to speed it up? Wouldn't it make more sense to make it last as long as possible for more damage?

My sith healer stacks willpower and power and trying to get her crit up from 25% to at least 30-35%. I don't worry too much about alacrity or surge with her tho I would like a fster cooldown on friendly pull sometimes and electric shock

What level are you?

http://www.thewalkingcarpets.com/forum/m/3065305/viewthread/5363969-seer-sage-circle-love This is by The Walking Carpets guildmaster, it is for a Sage, but other than names it is the same thing. Other than Mav, Seijin is who I listen to most about gear and game play.

Surge - "Increases Critical Multiplier, causing more damage or healing with a critical hit."

Alacrity just speed up the cast time, but it does not increase it significantly. I just don't find the difference between 1.7 seconds and 1.5 seconds to be that big a deal, but the difference between a 3800 heal and a 7890 heal to be more important to me.

With what Lynk said about activation/channel times speeding up, I thought activation was how long it took for you to cast your spell and channel was how long the spell lasted? Am I wrong in thinking this?

That's absolutely correct I think, it'll speed up activation but have no effect on channel or cool downs.

Activation time isn't really an issue for me. With the madness tree, my Whirlwind (main CC) has zero activation, and the only damaging ability I have that is activation is Crushing Darkness, which I don't typically need to use. While both my heals have activation times (I'm not specced as a healer), it's generally good enough for my purposes (flashpoint, heroic, or simply keeping my tank comp up), particularly with the instant Bubble.

I've been focusing on Power myself, and in general choosing Power over Willpower, as I've seen some number crunchers talk about DMR on Willpower, but not on Power.

Mim my healer is level 50. I constantly look at the walking carpet site and those askmr.robot things you guys use to show what it is you have done.

She is a somewhat fresh level 50 so I am still working on her as she has some tionese and some columni mods and one BH mods. All resolve 22 augments and 63 resolve hilt. Just need to do more FP and Dailies with her to get her geared up better.

All I ever seem to get in drops are the gloves and boots so I have been getting the ones with the most willpower and yanking the mods out to put in the other gear slots and using the BH campaign armor that still gives you the bonus until I can get her more comms to work with.

From what I have seen of the Old Republic, it brings much of the adversarial splendor that I had experienced in my previous life into focus. The conflicts, the chance to play as a variety of characters and the many different enemies, all combine to make a most interesting existence to apply one's more base impulses.

The dark side story is the best feature. It allows the players to truly know what it means to thrive. This particular game I haven't seen, but it plays well and one day I look forward to getting involved.

Archived