Home

The Old Republic for Dummies

mimartin

Something more unique to TOR is that your companions may need an item. With loot rolls though you should stick with "Need" ONLY if your character will be equipping the item. Companions can end up using stuff you would otherwise not need(ie heavy armor when you're a smuggler, because Corso can use it). If you roll "Need" on something for your companion, your group will get mad if you end up beating the guy who can use it on their character.

Oh and under no circumstances should you say, "I'll just do a quick quest and go to bed." Especially at 10:00 on a Sunday when you work Monday through Friday... The next time you look at the time it will be midnight, and you will be NEAR finishing the quest... Not that I'm speaking from experience... Just sayin'. If anyone needs me I'll be at my desk with toothpicks holding my eyelids open.

• Replies 950
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yeah you're supposed to go to Taris before Nar Shaddaa mims. On the galaxy map in your ship, each planet should also have a level range displayed. Also if I was another random player I certainly wouldn't mind randomly being healed.
Thanks Mav, left Nar Shaddaa and went to Taris. Way more fun when most all enemies are the same or lower level than my toon. No longer feel completely underpowered. For awhile there I was thinking healer was a complete mistake. :D

Well, I was surprised with the jump in difficulty when I arrived on Dromund Kaas, to be honest. My Bounty Hunter was already at lvl. 12 when I arrived there, but the areas between the Spaceport and Kaas City (Alkmaar? :p) are heroic areas and significantly more difficult, in my opinion. Mandalorians in group are all elite.

You are meant to take the speeder past that area. The officer at the outpost that borders that area (the one with force fields and where the monster keeps spawning and charging at them) tells you not to go in.
Well now I feel stupid. I'm usually a good listener, but that trooper must have bored me. :p

This is a tip more than a question: The are "exhaustion zones" on maps in this game. That basically means if you enter one, your health will slowly go down until you die. For example, if you try and run across Tatooine instead of taking the taxis from location to location, you will encounter these zones and die if you can't leave them fast enough. And to make it even worse, if you are on your speeder, it dismounts you, making it pretty much impossible to leave the exhaustion area before you die.

Hey, I just got my physical copy,

I'm in the game due to early access,...

When I put the CD in for the physical copy it asks if I want to uninstall the game?

Do i need to uninstall and reinstall the game?

Or do I just need to place the register code in and thats all?

I could not find anything explaining this in the forums at swtor

Well, got my first embarrassing group quest done. There's this Heroic Quest on Dromund Kaas called 'Saving Face', I think, which consists of taking explosives and then installing them on a panel and defending the panel from Rebel slaves. The thing is, when my group member installed the explosives, the quest changed for both of us, but somehow, when we defeated the boss, the quest didn't update and we were randomly wandering through the area. We agreed to reset the quest, but then my group member left and my heart broke. :'(

Seriously, though, anyone have idea what's the problem here? I'm just wondering, usually both members of the group need to click on quest items and such to update the quest, but here it wasn't needed. Also, it may have had to do something with the fact somebody else was involved in fighting the boss, because the health bar was greyed out. Could that have been the problem?

If multiple non-grouped people attack a mob, I would guess it will be whoever deals it the most damage that gets the credit for the kill.
I thought that as well, but we were with two and two companions, the other was alone with a companion (I guess we gave him/her a present there).

Well, I did the quest again with a few people (who can thank me, I was significantly stronger than my last encounter with the Rebel Slaves) and obviously finished it.

But another questions arises from this experience. Can anyone explain how and when social points are supposed to work? I understand you need to bring in the mission with the party to get social points? The thing is, two of my group left after they had defeated the boss, but the remaining group member stayed until we finished the mission. I didn't get social points for that (and I'm sure of that, I'm still at 0 :p).

You get social points for multiplayer dialogue, so you won't get any if you join a group and you have already completed the quest previously (and thus can't take part in the cutscenes). If you do a flashpoint (that you haven't done before) you'll get a bunch of social points, but even just questing around a planet you should get loads if you are grouped most of the time.

Social points can be used to gain access to social gear provided by the social vendor. It's mainly for role play type stuff from what I can see.

I'm not the best source, but since this is the first question asked in this thread, I’m not really sure anyone is the best source as I still don’t understand the mechanics of social points completely.

However, what I’ve noticed… My main character has like one social point (1/10). Got that one point (or 1/10 point) on the first planet when I played the heroic area and a other couple quests with a group. I’m pretty sure I got the point for winning a conversation roll. Other than killing a few eliets in groups, I played solo.

My other character, which is only finished the first planet, has Social: Social 1 232/750, but with that character I’ve only played in a qroup (100% with Lynk). Pretty sure it also has to do with gear rolls, but both Lynk and I were pretty good at letting each other pick what we wanted. I don’t know if we ever did a gear roll.

I know you can also win multiple conversations in a row. Either that or Lynk hacked the system because I know he won 3 in a row.

Social points can be used to gain access to social gear provided by the social vendor. It's mainly for role play type stuff from what I can see.

I have my eye on a white party dress. :D

You get points for simply partaking in multiplayer dialogue, but you get about twice as many for each dialogue choice you win the roll for versus those you don't.

As for winning multiple dialogue choices in a row, yes I was obviously mistaken in my earlier post where I commented about them patching that out. I was sure I had read that in the patch notes for the final beta weekend, but perhaps I just imagined it.

Don’t take my statement as an attack or trying showing you up for being wrong. I wasn’t, I really appreciate your attempt to answer the question earlier and I have no doubt that you read it somewhere. I just lmao as Lynk won roll after roll, although we were pretty much picking the same answer every time. At least now I know Lynk wasn’t cheating. :xp:

Just to expand on the "rewards" of social points, as it's been said you can only equip certain items if you have a high enough social score. Some examples, Nar Shaddaa Social Vendor has Slave Metal Bikini gear, and Tatooine has Sand People gear, btw these are orange/custom gear, so you could potentially make them comparable to your other gear with mods. But some social vendor's all sell stuff like Speeders that you can only use with a high enough social score, so yeah mostly for RP uses, but there are alternate perks to the system as well.

Archived