Home

The Old Republic for Dummies

mimartin

Alright I had to have a non-TOR player show me how to see how long I've played the game.

So for those new to MMOs, what are the chat commands and what do they do?

Ones I have so far: (for the noobs, like me, these are typed into the chat box)

/played - tells you how long you've played (not sure if it is total time or just for that character).

/S -Say (not sure if you have to type a name here or not. Anyone know?)

/Y - Yell (same as above)

/W other players name send a private message to another player.

/General (also /1) - General Chat

/G - Chat with guild member only

/Who other players name look for someone

/PVP (or /2) - Pvp chat

/Trade (or /3) - Trade Chat

Whatelse you got?

Edit: May have found them all. Nice thread for on the bioware forum. Answers my own question...:)

• Replies 950
  • Created
  • Last Reply

/say and /yell are so that only players around you can see when you "say" or "yell something. You just type in "/say" and then a space and type whatever you want, no need to type in names since anyone around you will hear it. Yell is the same but with a larger area around you that people will see the mesage.

So I have Heroic Quests that are greyed out in the Quest Log because I'm above their intended level. Since I found out that doesn't necessarily mean that it's easier to finish these quests, I'd like to do them with other people. Will they get the regular experience from these quests or would my character influence the exp gain of all others as well (meaning we'd all get less)?

Also, /say and /yell are the only forms of cross-faction communication possible.
I noticed I couldn't even emote to a Sith player today. Pretty lame if you ask me, and I think you used to be able to, either in beta or the previous patch version.

They took it out because of all the cross-faction trash talking and the subsequent whinging by people about it. Of course after they removed it, everyone whinged instead that now they couldn't do that any more.

Will they get the regular experience from these quests or would my character influence the exp gain of all others as well (meaning we'd all get less)?
I think XP scales on how much of the damage you do. So if your high level char basically does all the work killing a mob and your friend's low level char is essentially just there gently poking it, they may not get much XP. You could try drawing the aggro but not actually causing any damage. Or just healing your friend's char (directly or with a companion).

A search confirms the lower level players would get the same amount of exp as the high level player, meaning a disadvantage for doing quests with higher level players.

That leaves the question on how exp scales... Probably per level or something?

Is it typical for non-quest related Elites to only drop credits?

This would make sense to me because just because they are not quest related for me does not mean they are really non-quest related. It may be that either I have not picked up that quest or that I have not qualified for that quest. So it would limit people going after that enemy for strictly swag forcing others that need the kill for the quest to wait for respawn. Still not going to stop me though since I’m more after the XP, but if that is the case; I will be more selective and only do that during non-peak hours so that I’m not being overly rude.

Out of the three, non-quest related Elites I killed yesterday, I only received credit and the most for 524.

The two I killed involving a quest each netted me a nice weapon, quest item and credits. Well to be honest, I didn't kill any of them, my Wookiee did.

The XP thing was a guess, based on what I had seen with a mismatched level player pairing.

As far as loot goes, I find the loot tables fairly crap, especially when solo. Fair enough in a group situation you should get a chance at looting whatever equipment any of the classes present can use, but when my Sith Warrior is by himself and is looting sniper rifles and scatterguns, it really annoys the hell out of me. As for commendations, that's another system I think has issues. A nice idea in principle, but none of the commendation vendors have enough decent gear worth buying. Some might have one decent item, like a belt, gloves or helmet, but that's it. Coupled with that is the fact that you can no longer trade in one type of commendation for another. Subsequently I have hundreds of commendations across all planets that are essentially useless. Probably should just use them to buy credit boxes to turn them to cash.

Once you get past the mid-30s it seems you stop getting slotted gear as story and side quest rewards, so I often take boxes instead of commendations now if that is the only choice. Still, they use the same random loot tables seemingly, so there's every chance you'll end up with something useless.

On an unrelated note, I got an official email today congratulating me on getting my Sith Inquisitor to level 10 and giving me a link to a progression guide (which was pretty basic). I also levelled up a Bounty Hunter to level 10 (well both to 11 actually) 24 hours later, but haven't received any similar email for him. I wonder if it's just for the dress wearers. Maybe their metrics have indicated players of those classes need some extra hand holding. Here's the link they sent, if anyone is interested - http://www.swtor.com/progressionGuides/SithInquisitor10/

Edit: One for the Bounty Hunter just turned up in my inbox. Based on that, it was simple enough to suss out the links for all classes:

Empire:

http://www.swtor.com/progressionGuides/SithWarrior10/

http://www.swtor.com/progressionGuides/SithInquisitor10/

http://www.swtor.com/progressionGuides/BountyHunter10/

http://www.swtor.com/progressionGuides/ImperialAgent10/

Republic:

http://www.swtor.com/progressionGuides/JediKnight10/

http://www.swtor.com/progressionGuides/JediConsular10/

http://www.swtor.com/progressionGuides/Trooper10/

http://www.swtor.com/progressionGuides/Smuggler10/

Alright I’m having problems leveling crew skills. Bioanalysis is going great at a little over 300 already, Diplomacy is going slow, but it is going. I just have to remember to send the crew on more missions. My problem is with BioChem. I’m only at around 80 on this one. Almost everything I have a recipe for requires Green Goo. I can’t seem to get this in supply enough to make a real dent in BioChem. Did I just wait too long to start my crew skills? Do I need to go back to some of the earlier planet in order for Bioanalysis to get me an adequate supply of green goo? Guess it isn’t that big a deal if I do have to because I need to find datacrons too.

Hi all! Geez it sucks to be such a noob at TOR and feel like I am out of my league posting here haha, But hey got to start somewhere. Just want to give a shout to all you guys for the pointers given here. Hopefully I can get the hang of SW: The Old Republic and advanced nicely.

cheers

Alright I’m having problems leveling crew skills. Bioanalysis is going great at a little over 300 already, Diplomacy is going slow, but it is going. I just have to remember to send the crew on more missions. My problem is with BioChem. I’m only at around 80 on this one. Almost everything I have a recipe for requires Green Goo. I can’t seem to get this in supply enough to make a real dent in BioChem. Did I just wait too long to start my crew skills? Do I need to go back to some of the earlier planet in order for Bioanalysis to get me an adequate supply of green goo? Guess it isn’t that big a deal if I do have to because I need to find datacrons too.

I don't have BioChem on any of my characters so I'm not sure excatly what type and level Green goo is, but, this is how you find what you need without running around a planet looking for dead critters to harvest:

Find a schematic that requires green goo. It will tell you the general category and level of that component. Like "Grade 2 researched compound" or something. Then look under your Bioanalysis missions. Use the drop down to select the grade level, and then send your companions on the missions that bring back that kind of item.

They may not always bring back Green Goo, depending on how rare it is (Green, Blue, Purple) but they will bring it to you.

If you don't see it under Bioanalysis, it is likely under Diplomacy. (I'm pretty sure it's BioAnalysis though. I guess I need to make a Bio crafting toon...)

Missions are not an efficient (or cost effective) way to acquire gathering resources for grinding the appropriate crafting skill. The only missions you should be doing for gathering skills are the ones that net you the required additional generic components for crafting that you can't gather in the field (and only otherwise obtain from the crew skills vendor).

Green Goo is a level 1 material and should be available from every level 1 node. It's the equivalent of Desh for Scavenging - the most abundant material. As I said, you just need to return to your capital world and do some harvesting. Aside from Slicing, all gathering nodes are on about a 4 minute respawn timer, so if you do a circular sweep of an area (much easier in Coruscant, given the cityscape layout), then by the time you get back to the starting point all the nodes should have respawned. Especially bio nodes, as that isn't a popular skill from what I have seen.

I beg to differ.

Running around gathering from nodes, espically nodes on planets that are well below your level, doesn't put a single credit in your pocket nor does it gain you any XP. In fact it takes time away from gaining XP and credits.

The entire point of having the crew do this for you is so that you could focus on that very aspect of the game.

The crew members not at my side are constantly about gathering, and even with the cost of missions I am still earning more credits than I'm spending since I'm engaged with killing mobs that give me money as opposed to hunting nodes that don't.

If it's level one, missions cost between 95-150 credits per mission. That's less than the cost to fly across the galaxy. They have results in less than 4 minutes, often less than that. More so if you have properly built up your affection with them.

I'm at a loss for how multi-tasking time and effort is less efficient than seeking the materials out, on foot, and thus wasting time that could be spent gaining XP and Money.

I have first-hand experience of this exact scenario. I abandoned Biochem/Bioanalysis in the late 20s in favour of Cybertech/Scavenging, and thus was in the same boat of needing a swathe of level 1 mats to grind up Cybertech from 0. Missions are fine if you need 1 or 2 of a mat, not 50-100 plus.

If you are all about staying out levelling, then just buying a couple of 99 stacks from the GTN would be a much more cost effective and efficient solution. At the time that wasn't an option for me, as it was the first few days of live and the GTN was pretty bare. Now though it is packed with level 1 mats. Just make sure you work out the per unit cost and get the cheapest. Some people are asking crazy sums.

Well I made a bonehead mistake, don't think anyone else around here will be this dense, but will share just in case. I was getting the message 'You must complete missions before you can do that" anytime I tried to get a new mission or talk to my companions. It was driving me crazy. Come to find out my mission log was full with flashpoints, space missions and heroic missions. So be a good house keeper and clean that stuff up or be doomed to failure like me.

Had to go back to Hoth as a missed at least two quests there. :(

Running around gathering from nodes, espically nodes on planets that are well below your level, doesn't put a single credit in your pocket nor does it gain you any XP. In fact it takes time away from gaining XP and credits.
I hadn't gotten all the datacrons on the early planets, so it put datacrons in my pocket.

Went back to Ord Mantell, Coruscant, Tatooine and ventured to Tython to retrieve green goo. I also did low level crew skills missions in Bioanalysis. I did not try the GTN, have trouble paying for something that I can get myself (be it real life or in a game).

Thank you both, DarthParametric and Zakhodit for the suggestions.

Archived