Home

Logan's Ideas for Future Patches and Expansions

logan23

Hi,

After playing some swTOR Beta (Level 17 and received my ship), I started to think of some ideas to help improve the game but not re inventing it. These will be ideas based on using the existing game mechanics and theme found in the Old Republic.

This will be the first in the series on this topic.

I would love for some feedback from you guys, especially from those who have a strong history in playing MMOs.

If these ideas are solid, I plan to tweeter these concept/ideas to MMO TOR Developers as well as those who report on mmos.

Space Combat:

Patch/tweak

This will be for the existing space combat.

Giving the player the ability to break or hit their thrusters to help in dodging blaster fire. This could be implemented as an upgrade to keep players from over using this feature and allowing it to be used in past/launch content.

Result- Players cannot just dodge right or left but plus now back and forth plus allow players to get more time to blast capital ship's turrets. Furthermore, this will help remove some of the feel that the player is on a rail by giving them this freedom will help game play.

Adding Choice to the Space Combat:

Patch/ For future Space Combat missions

How this can be done-

You could have a moment while a player ship is going through the inside of an asteroid or cluster where the player is told to choose which path to take between two options. The player could choose by tilted the ship toward which path, which will highlight the path arrow or there could be a key to hit to choose right or left.

If the player does not choose or waits to long there will be a default or a roll by the game to direct the ship down which path.

These paths could be used in relation to quest's objectives or simply a way to add replay value. Both paths would link back up after a determined amount of time based on the space combat's mission.

Result- Players will now have more interactivity with space combat missions where players can play the same mission but choose a different path at a key point during the quest which will keep players more engage and add replay value.

Added bonus- this feature could be used in future space combat designs to add more story even in the event/mission- adding more depth.

Next Post will be either Space Combat PvP or Sandbox End Game Feature

Logan

Hmmm...space bombat seems to be fun, but why so much focus on it?

If you want to interest players in ship combat, make it possible to 'pimp' your own ship (colours and parts) to show you're unique. It's a 'mini-game' in SWTOR now so it would require serious revamping to make it into a real 'awesome' part.

You're absolutely right it would require a massive overhaul to make it a cool element. I'm interested in what you come up with.

Personally, lore-wise, I'd like some missions that require you to travel all over the galaxy, like the last Legacy of the Force books described. Also, a visit to a Force Nexus (like the Korriban tunnels in Kotor 2) would be awesome. That way, you could 'replay' setting like the Sacking of Coruscant or the mission (to the space station or on Alderaan) we saw in one of the trailers, without it becoming cheesy. Maybe some battles from the Mandolorian Wars could be replayed too, with cameo's from Zayne perhaps? It's an excellent way to tie the lore together.

Hi,

I'm back with some more ideas.

I'm still working out the idea for Space Combat PvP, and a layout of how an end-game sand box planet would work within the swTOR game mechanics. I want to give very detail example verse just a few words.

Ways to make use of the Companion- Player affection system and interactions mean something more.

1) Players gets titles; Companions get nicknames.

There could be a list of nicknames that could be used to replace the floating companion name as you run around the world or have it like a title where it comes before it. The purpose is to one stop seeing everyone's companions with the same name. Now we will see nicknames. Nicknames could be given out due to player conversations with them or game quests where the companion was part of the scene. This will reward players who are nice or rude to their companion and even remind the player of an event which leads to this nickname. These would be just cosmetic.

2) Since they removed the option for Companions to die or leave forever (which I do understand) they could do something like this....

(This would be for future Companions or a Patch)

Bioware could take the Companion or two which would be the most likely to leave your party and have it at a point where they would leave or injury, which will then leave it up to the player to decide to either go to the planet location where you can do a quest to get them back or just Roleplay and just don't try to get them back.

This will allow Bioware to design stories where party members could leave or become unable to be used but with the option of the player to get them back if they wish to.

One last item...

With some worlds having a good deal of taxi from city world's location to location like Coruscant, to have your companion make a comment about the planet to help break up the drive. The comment form the Companion shouldn't happen every time but every so often or when you taxi to a new location on a planet.

I hope to have the next post on the End game sandbox along with a map layout or a Space Combat PvP concept.

Let me know what you think of these ideas and wither these would be something you would like to see in the game.

I plan to tweet these to Devs and swTOR trackers/reporters/bloggers...maybe they will take something here and do their own twist and see a form in game in the future....

Thanks

Logan

SPOILER WARNING!

I don't know if this is true or not, but rumors have it that Darth Malgus wasn't all that tough in the beta the fight was both lackadaisical and anticlimactic. This guy is supposed to to be the Vader of the damn thing.

I hope for the final version he is tough on a level rivaling the emperor as

the novel, Decieved, gave the impression.

<snip> Err, curiosity got the better of me...

while the rumors are half true on the part about needing to make him tougher and make the fight area more interesting, the conclusion of the fight was rather ambiguous, like "to be continued". If THAT is the actual conclusion it comes up wanting.

On the bright side

Silver lightsaber crystals will be included, YAAAAAAY!

@Logan: OK fixed. Mybad. Now YOUR quote of my post must reflect my changes made since if YOU don't want to be in violation of spoilage. :devsmoke:

In terms of the expansion for space combat...

I'd leave the current space combat as it is, but add some kind of co-op element to it... like player operated turrets or something (Mav's idea).

However, as an addition, I'd add fully upgradeable and pimped out starfighters to the game that the player can acquire where they can take part in single player, co-op and pvp space battles.

In terms of the expansion for space combat...

I'd leave the current space combat as it is, but add some kind of co-op element to it... like player operated turrets or something (Mav's idea).

However, as an addition, I'd add fully upgradeable and pimped out starfighters to the game that the player can acquire where they can take part in single player, co-op and pvp space battles.

Oh...that opens up a TON of possibilities. Imagine the 'Don't get cocky, kid' on ventrilo!

It would make ship-combat cooler though. Just playing it together with a friend and scoring rewards for it..

Archived