Home

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey (2012)

Dak Drexl

The trailer came out today (though I can't find a really good link) and I am psyched! It looks really great and I have confidence in Peter Jackson to pull this off right. I was always a big LotR fan but The Hobbit is my all-time favorite.

I am a little upset about the 3D (hate the thing) but I feel like Jackson will handle it well.

I'm also upset that the game is going to be Lego... ick. Oh well.

What are your thoughts?

Well The Hobbit was intended to be a children's book. If you weren't a fan of the book then maybe the movie isn't for you. Can't blame you for thinking it looks silly. I do agree with you on some points though, like how the dwarves just look ridiculous. They were depicted as kind of oafs anyway so I can see where it could come from.

Well The Hobbit was intended to be a children's book. If you weren't a fan of the book then maybe the movie isn't for you. Can't blame you for thinking it looks silly. I do agree with you on some points though, like how the dwarves just look ridiculous. They were depicted as kind of oafs anyway so I can see where it could come from.

I see what your saying. I just feel like they took a more 'Chronicles of Narnia' approach. I may be prejudging anyway but I just hope it's very similar to the LotR movies.

Found a good youtube link, for those who haven't seen it yet:

(This BBCode requires its accompanying plugin to work properly.)

Looks good to me. I'm not really noticing the 3D thing, unless you count those couple of seconds with action sequences near the end.

Just hope they do Smaug justice in the film(s?) rather than a last-ten-minutes-of-the-movie "battle".

Still kinda disappointed with the Witch King's involvement (or lack of rather) in the LotR trilogy. He was a major character in the books but was limited to a few action-shot cutscenes and his death-knell for the movies. :¬:

I pity anyone who watched the movies but didn't read the books. They wouldn't have been as satisfied when Eowyn stabs his face if they didn't know just how big of a bastard the Witch King was :lol:

Just hope they do Smaug justice in the film(s?) rather than a last-ten-minutes-of-the-movie "battle".

Still kinda disappointed with the Witch King's involvement (or lack of rather) of the LotR trilogy. He was a major character in the books but was limited to a few action-shot cutscenes and his death-knell for the movies. :¬:

I pity anyone who watched the movies but didn't read the books. They wouldn't have been as satisfied when Eowyn stabs his face if they didn't know just how big of a bastard the Witch King was :lol:

Agreed! While it's normal that they would leave out some stuff, I was disappointed with the lack of exploration of some other major characters and scenes. Doesn't mean that the LotR films weren't incredible :lol:

I think that this one will get it's fill mostly due to the fact that it's in two parts.

I also hope the dialogue Bilbo has with the dragon comes out OK. I've no fear that the battle of 5 armies will look ace. Though, I've got a fear that might be the big focus of the second part... Not sure if I like that. Two Towers wasn't really my favourite of the Lotr trilogy, they messed around with the book a bit to much to my liking. So that the battle at helms deep was very the big focus of the film. While in the book it takes what? One chapter for preperations, one chapter for the actuall battle. Just feel in the film they stretched it to long.

Anyway, Mr. PJ did a very nice job on Lotr; WETA did some awesome work aswell. Can't wait till this thing is out in the theaters. :D

I have faith in Peter, I'm sure I'll love it.

Yeah, this.

Still kinda disappointed with the Witch King's involvement (or lack of rather) in the LotR trilogy. He was a major character in the books but was limited to a few action-shot cutscenes and his death-knell for the movies. :¬:

Yeah, the Witch-King is definitely interesting; kind of the anti-Dúnedain, I guess. Nasty, powerful, undead guy.

Long as they were, though there was only so much that PJ could cram into 3 films, So the Witch-King got very little screen time.

• 2 weeks later...

They use a lot of optic illusions, for example when Frodo is sitting next to Gandalf at the start of The Fellowship of the Ring (in the carriage) the chair itself was divided into two parts, Frodo being seated further back than Gandalf giving the illusion that he was smaller next to him.

They will probably make use of little people as "stunt" doubles for most of the dwarfs in wider shots as they did with the Hobbits in Lord of the Rings as well. You can't tell the difference when they have proper make-up on and everything.

It'll all work out. For example in the first LotR movie the scene where Gandalf enters Bilbo's home. Gandalf towered over Bilbo but in real life there is not such a difference between the actors. Well, they shot Bilbo's part in the home separately from Gandalf's. Then, Gandalf's scene was actually shot in front of a blue screen. Then they were able to just scale him up.

Stuff like that really makes the difference.

Also, reading the book again, I'm guessing that part 1 will end after they leave Beorn's house and venture into Mirkwood. Just a guess :p I am really curious how they'll do Beorn though.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived